cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authentication taking ages?

N/A

Both yesterday and today, I've had huge problems with authentication. The router moves into the CHAP authentication stage, times out, and often takes several hours to actual pass and move on to the next stage.

These graphs show the times for yesterday :

and today:

The red block in each graph show 100% packet loss, which is basically the downtime for authentication.

I've tried rebooting the router/etc when this happens, but it seems to make no difference - it still times out the CHAP auth.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I've been having intermittent authentication problems for over a week now. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it takes several attempts to get a connection. Once connected everything is ok.

It looks like there might be some intermittent problem effecting only a few users or there would be lots more comment on this forum.

I raised a question about it on the 4th August but so far no resolution.

Bob
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

For the record I also have been having problems connecting for the last week or so, usually takes 2 or 3 attempts before connecting. I thought it may have been a problem my end, but perhaps not.

Paul
N/A

My last reboot this morning came up straight away. I do know I was having difficulties with authentucation on Thursday evening, though.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) _CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi

I shall have a look into this and post back soon.
N/A

This has been happening to me also.

It started about the time ptn-ag1 was given to ull.

Simon
N/A

Well, yesterday wasn't any different for me. The router lost the PPPoA connection twice (but kept sync at 16db SNR) and took several hours to reconnect the second time Sad

This is getting beyond a joke now. My 2mb non-max connection was solid as a rock and never disconnected. Pings were also much better.

LiamM
Grafter

I wonder if this could be exchange related. Do you have an ADSL Modem or an alternative router you could try?
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@squidgey

I have asked for your problems to be looked at in Problem 32760
N/A

I've tried 2 Netgear DG834GT's. The first two were with the first router, and yesterdays was with the second.
bootletip
Grafter

I raised this with james last week

I raised logging in errors with james last week as it took me half a day to log in - and I could not get through on the phone, James said there had been a problem at the exchange, but could not answer why the help line kept going dead on me

I have been having a problem logging in. this has gone on for over a week now - I get different error codes todays one was 0718.

If I log in around 6.00 am it seems to work ok - if I need to reboot or switch off I dread trying to log in again after that.

today I have also had problems trying to get websites to come up, they time out.

I also have problems from time to time collecting e.mails - I only collect the headers until I am sure that I want to read the rest. but when I click on it to collect the main body of the e.mail nothing happens
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I get different error codes todays one was 0718

Hi

if possible can users seeing this problem post the reason code
N/A

I wonder if it's anything like the old dialup days when you got busy tones at your PoP. Ie, you can do an adsl connection to the exchange no problem, but there's no lines available from the exchange to Plusnet. This would explain everything.

I'm assuming that so much bandwidth is reserved for each "pipe" to PN, and once these are all used up, the data just goes to the exchange and promptly gets dumped until there's another one free.

Of course, I could be talking out of my behind, as I don't know anything about how ADSL works, but that seems to be the kind of thing thats happening.
bootletip
Grafter

0178 code

sorry - the message read something like unable to connect..... and gave the reason as "in a timely manner"

does this help -
N/A

Re: 0178 code

sorry - the message read something like unable to connect..... and gave the reason as "in a timely manner"

does this help -

Sounds like the same as me.

neenan: I'm using an external router, so I don't get windows error messages, but this is what my log file says:

Sun, 2006-08-13 20:04:37 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-08-13 20:04:37 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Sun, 2006-08-13 20:05:37 - Initialize LCP.
Sun, 2006-08-13 20:05:37 - LCP is allowed to come up.
[etc.. every minute until...]
Sun, 2006-08-13 22:27:55 - CHAP authentication success

During the outage, the ADSL information status from my router is the same as when the outage occurs:

Status: Showtime Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 640 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5019 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: ADSL2+
Channel: Fast
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime

Also, the SNR/Attn and error counters don't increment by much over the outage period, suggesting it's not a line fault. (Plus resyncing/rebooting the router doesn't help).

But here are the values anyway:

Down Up
SNR (dB): 15.8 14.0
Attn(dB): 50.5 25.4
Pwr(dBm): 40.0 0.0
Max(Kbps): 5072 26236
Rate (Kbps): 5019 640
G.dmt framing
K: 56(0) 7
R: 12 16
S: 4 16
D: 16 8