cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authenticated SMTP ??

MrToast
Grafter

Authenticated SMTP ??

I remember that there was some discussion a while back about allowing use of the outgoing mail servers (relays?) for PN subscribers from other networks. This would facilitate those sending email whilst on the move.

To make this work would require the use of Authenticated SMTP.

I don't remember the outcome or the pro's and con's of PN setting this up. Though I see an increasing number of ISP's are doing so.

What is PN's position on this now?
24 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Authenticated SMTP ??

Not on any immediate or long term TODO list I suspect. The idea died a death a long time ago.

The only possibility is if BT buy them out and move all the mail to their servers. Authenticated SMTP is standard practice with BT business connections.
N/A

Authenticated SMTP ??

PN does support SMTP authentification within the Essential bundle which I use to have when I was using BT broadband. Basically the Essential bundle is a email and web hosting package supplied by PN at £1.99 per month.

It you go to the Service Manager, found in Services under My Account, you should find the Essential Bundle listed. I have in the past asked on this forum when SMTP authentication is raised whether adding this bundle will enable SMTP authentication when not using a PN connection but have to date no answer. Believe most PN users are unaware that PN does have accounts that allow SMTP authentication.
N/A

Authenticated SMTP ??

More information on the Essential bundle can be found here. http://www.plus.net/btbroadband/
Community Veteran

Authenticated SMTP ??

I think that is part of a special product PN have for certain BT customers and is not available to add to the standard PN products.
N/A

Authenticated SMTP ??

So why does the Essential and Advance bundles appear in my Services Manager if I can't add and use them? Or is it another problem with the portal, can you see these bundles in your Services Manager?
MrToast
Grafter

Authenticated SMTP ??

Thanks for the link..... very interesting.

£1.99pm for unlimited email storage and addresses is pretty good. Its not clear that you can host a domain of your choice for your email, though you can for the webspace.

It says you can use it from wherever you are..... so not just BTInternet connections? Though it appears to be aimed at BT customers who used to have a connection only service.
MrToast
Grafter

Authenticated SMTP ??

I think that is part of a special product PN have for certain BT customers and is not available to add to the standard PN products.

But... I could still buy it as a stand alone and 'downgrade' to BB PAYG Basic thereby 'gaining' Authenticated SMTP

Or, if I wanted to stick with a higher traffic volume package, fixed IP etc. and simply thought authenticated SMTP was worth £1.99pm I could use the outgoing relays... yes?
N/A

Authenticated SMTP ??

When I had a Essential Account, before migrating my broadband over to PN, I used it without any problems in the Far East, Europe and the USA. Since migrating I cancelled the Essential before I found out that normal accounts do not allow authenication, so was not able to test whether as a add on it will still work.
Community Veteran

Authenticated SMTP ??

So why does the Essential and Advance bundles appear in my Services Manager if I can't add and use them?

Possibly because that page is more generic and includes packages for those accounts that can have them.

It is certainly not an option I can select from broadband premier and thus probably not from BB+ and PAYG either that I can remember.

If it were that simple, I suspect the request for authenticated SMTP would never have been raised or PN would have stated in the many discussions on the subject that it is available at a cost.
N/A

Authenticated SMTP ??

When I migrated my broadband the Essential Package was showing in the Services Manager and I had to raise a ticket to have it removed, before I had an opportunity to check it. So you are right the page probably is generic.
MrToast
Grafter

Authenticated SMTP ??

When I had a Essential Account...

...before I found out that normal accounts do not allow authenication

Does it work like normal PN mail in other respects.... and do you remember if you could use a domain name for your email?

(I tried to find info about essentials in Help... but failed)
Community Veteran

Authenticated SMTP ??

It is not a PlusNet product as such. My understanding is it is a special product that PN supply to BT broadband and BTB normally request it when signing up certain types of customer.

It is not something you can switch too or add to a PN product.

I'm sure someone with a better understanding of this can explain it better.
N/A

Authenticated SMTP ??

When I joined up for the Essential account it was for the account that I'm using now, hence the Jan 2004 date. I did not migrate my BB over until May this year. So used the Essentail account for over 2 years without any problems. I registered a domain with PN in July 05 and this was hosted by PN in the Essential Account. Admittedly I did not upload into the web space until after I migrated but I was using my domain for email addresses. Since migrating PN still host my website but have move the domain registration out because of PN high charges.
MrToast
Grafter

Authenticated SMTP ??

OK thanks very much. I think I have the picture.

An interesting option if I want Authenticated SMTP even if it means signing up for it externally to my existing account.