cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Attachment files being removed

N/A

I have a current ticket being looked at (ID: 21523427 ) but without much success. It would appear that when my customer sends me an email and attachment, the attachment is removed whilst on its way to us. If he sends me the file to my private hotmail account it all works fine, but if he sends it to my work email (which goes through plusnet), I (sometimes) get the email but no attachment, the email says there is one attached but it is not there. And before anyone asks, no its nothing dodgy just plain old cad drawings and pdfs.

Anyone else had similar problems?
8 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

Is this in webmail or an email client? I would advise raising a ticket to support supplying the headers of the email so we can see where they are stripped out.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

already done this, if you see the above ticket number all the header details are on there. Someone has tried replicating the problem without success.
I think its an email client but not quite sure what you mean on this.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

An email client would be Outlook or something similar installed on your local computer.
I have passed the ticket back to the networks guys to advise further.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
N/A

yes we are using outlook 2003 (sp2)
gswindale
Grafter

Outlook can strip the attachments itself based on the security settings (I tried sending myself a file with some registry settings in and couldn't access the attachments either in my sent items or inbox! The file was called file.reg which Outlook decided to block by itself).
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

The stripping is pretty dumb however, you can get pretty much anything through if you put it inside a zip file.

Another possibility is that it is being removed by your virus protection or firewall.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Its possible to edit the types of files that Outlook will strip out of messages, although as Jelv says, one of the easiest ways is to have your contact send the file as a .zip file.

Another way is to simply change the file extension, either by removing the dot, or changing the letters after the dot, although you need to communicate what the correct filename and extension is so that you can correct it upon receipt.
Community Veteran

Hi there.

Our networks team have responded to your ticket.

Please carry out the test mentioned in the response and let us know the outcome.