cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

At My wits end !!!! Ian Wild please help

N/A

I really don't know where to start !!!

I've been paying nearly £50 per month for two months now and have managed to view web pages for approx 10 minutes.

The first problem was that my line kept dropping on my Binatone modem which was supplied by Plusnet. I was told to purchase a Belkin 4 port USB hub which was linked in Plusnet's website and this resolved (I think) the power issue as my line light on the modem is always on now. All the lights are on on the USB hub indicating that there is power getting to this OK.

I connected the hub to my P.C and them the modem to the hub as instructed in the hope that this would fix the problem. Looking at both the hub and modem you would think things are fine but not so!!

I STILL can't get connected for any longer than a few minuets. I had a few error messages saying that my USB device was not recognised which could be part of the problem but at this moment in time my device manager is saying that all devices are recognised, my status tells me that I'm connected.

A few times my USB and modem just shut off completley and had to reboot. I know there may be issues with the USB not being recognised which is why I contacted BELKIN and one I found someone who could speak a few words of english (Dominic!!!!!!!!!) he informed me that the Belkin USB hub which has a link on the Plusnet website to purchase is not intended for broadband modems and is no use!!!

I have noticed from time to time that the green up and down arrows that are on my task bar are red and indicated that the DSL modem was not responding or something.

Second time I called I was told the extact same thing and that I have to tweak this and that, bios this Via chipsets that!!! I'm not a computer engineer and have no intention of ripping my P.C appart.

I've checked everything else that I could have done and now when I try to dial up all I get is "Dialling 0.38" then the timeout error.

If I go back to Belkin they will only tell me AGAIN that this USB hub is not for broadband modems and will end the call so where do I go from here?

Ian I have contacted plusnet support frequently and feel everytime that I'm on I'm rushed when offered support which is why I'm writing war and peace here. As soon as I mentioned the USB hub which plusnet RECCOMMENDED I was very abrubtly told that you don't offer customer support on third party products!!! Not much help to me I'm afraid.

I'm going to give this 1 more week to get sorted cause I really cant be bothered with all this hassle. 56K soooooo much easier, longer yeah but easier.

I apologise for the tone of my e mail but this REALLY is getting to me, I'm not the most patient of people i'm afraid

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks in advance

Tony

samhain@halloween2.fsnet.co.uk

Moderators note (John) I have converted your almost all upper case title to an easier to read lower case text. Upper case is akin to shouting on the internet. I understand you probably feel like shouting and i hope you get your problems solved
3 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi Tony,

I appreciate your frustration with this. Based on what you said, I have removed the link to the Belkin hub from the tutorial forum - This wasn't meant to recommend a product (I wrote ethe post in my capacity as a forum user, rather than to endorse a specific product and I didn't make that clear, for which I apologise).

I'm unsure about what to suggest to assist here. It does sound like the USB modem has problems with your PC and while we could replace the modem, I suspect any USB ADSL modem is going to suffer with the same problems...

Really, the only way we are going to move forwards with this is if you can get hold of an ADSL PCI modem or a Ethernet Card and Ethernet router. I appreciate there is additional expense involved here, but to be honest I don't see what else there is to try. Do you know anyone else who uses ADSL who might let you borrow their modem, simply to test this theory?

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the quick response,

Unfortunatley I do not know anyone with broadband so it will be difficult to test another modem.

I too think it has something to do with the USB.

I don't mind spending a little more on solving this problem cause at the end of the day I just want connected to broadband so if you could point me in the right direction with regards to the two solutions you reccomended.

Which one will be the fail safe one Ian? Will this rectify the power problem too as this was the main cause of purchasing a Belkin USB hub?

Again your help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

BTW Who is Mark :?

TONY Tongue
Ianwild
Grafter

Mark Wink ?

Both a PCI or an Ethernet router would solve the problem if it is a USB power issue...

Ethernet routers are deifnately the best. They are external units which manage your connection. They are the way to go if you think you will ever want more than one PC running from your line. For this you would need to buy an Ethernet Router, a Ethernet Card and some suitable cable. I'm sure the guys on this board will advise further if you decide to go that way. Ethernet routers are generally the most reliable but do take a bit more work to get them up and running.

A PCI Modem goes inside your PC in just the same way as an Internal standard 56K modem. PCI modems are cheaper (Between £25 and £30) and are generally quite reliable.

At the end of the day, I use a router and woulden't use anything else, but for a single PC, a PCI modem (If USB isn't an option) should work fine.

Regards,

Ian