cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Around 15,000 mails from @plus.net in the last 24 hours.

N/A

I appear to be a target of the new mail virus floating around.

When I contacted Plus Net this morning and again this afternoon asking for advice on how to stop this bombardment of "A virus was detected, the mail has been quarantined" notifications. A couple of options were put to me, resulting in me forwarding a couple of header to CS.

Final outcome was this reply.:
Actioned : Dear Mr ...,
Unfortunately as it appears these emails are not being send from the same address we cannot block the sender or turn off quarantine notification. The only advice I can give is to set up a mail rule on your email client to delete these emails if you no longer wish to receive them.
Regards,

What I had explained earlier, after being advised to use the usertool del-mail was that I did not want to risk loosing good mail, so I was having to download them all and use rules to trash the notifications. This resulted in the every 30 minute poll for new messages starting again before the last had finished with thousands of messages going straight to trash.

While giving PlusNet full marks for catching the viruses and quarantining them, I was surprised that they were of little more help in stopping the bombardment of notifications.

Should anyone else find themselves with such a problem, there is a solution of sorts and that is to use a program such as Spamihilator not just as a secondary spam filter but feed it the rule to delete any mail from virusalert@plus.net straight off the server. It does mean that Spamihilator runs for 10 to 15 minutes at a time sorting the mail to download but at least it's kept off my computer.

Note just had another 1,740 messages deleted while writing this post.

I think it is about time that mass spam and virus problems were sorted at source with ISP being penalised by the powers to be if found to be forwarding them.
I know that a big brother approach may be fraught with problems, but until someone is made to pay for allowing it I feel these problems can only get worse.
Maybe Elacoya might find a new way of managing mail trafic we would all applaud.
2 REPLIES
N/A

Just dumped another 4,700 messages, what a sad waste of bandwidth.
N/A

It's always exciting to get new mail - unless they are loaded with the W32.Sober.X@mm!zip virus.

I seem to be getting a lot of these particular variants over the last 2 days. Never used to suffer before.

Does it have anything to do with SORBS removing the block on PN's mail servers?