cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are you getting P2P speeds no better than isdn? (8-15kb/sec)

N/A

For the past few days I ha ven't seen my p2p speeds go any higher than 20kb/sec during the hours 12pm - 12am...no matter what program I use. And 20kb/sec is rare...i'm averaging around 2-5kb/sec.
19 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Please see the response to one of your other threads. Your BT speed test results would indicate exchange contention or line problem. You will not see good speeds until this issue is resolved.

Your problem is not caused by Plus Net but by BT.
ceridwen
Grafter

Apparently these speeds should improve after you next billing date since PN inroduced some changes last week to improve P2P speeds but people wo'n't see any improvement until after their billing date.

The poll might be more informative in about a months time when everyone has passed their billing date since PN made these changes..

Matthew
N/A

I can't agree with you on that mate.

Your current speed is:

1.63 Mbps

Which means you can download at 208.84 KB/sec. from our servers.

208kb/sec http vs 2kb/sec p2p is a drastic change!

And to wipe out the argument of badly seeded torrents etc, that 2kb/sec speed is from running this torrent for 15 minutes which has 185, yes 185 seeds:

http://www.yellowmonkey.org/BNBT%20File%20Info.htm

screenshot:
http://www.mamboboy.plus.com/dire.jpg
N/A

Speeds

Hi there,

Please see the response to one of your other threads. Your BT speed test results would indicate exchange contention or line problem. You will not see good speeds until this issue is resolved.

I beg to differ it is anything to do with line contention, whilst placed on PN management, like myself you will see a drop in speed.
Below is extracted from one of my recent tickets .

As the maximum speed of data transfer is reduced whilst you are on management, this can mean that programmes like an online game which rely on constant communication between the server and your computer can have issues.

PN cap the speed at peak hours if you have reached your monthly limit

time for a change me thinks
N/A

@amandabriggs,

Hi there, sorry if my response to mamboboy caused confusion. It was his issue here to which I was referring and following the results of his BT speed test, which does not touch the Plus Net network is down to a line or exchange issue.

Probaby a different issue to yours.
N/A

I am getting the same speed on that torrent. Getting 118KB\s on usenet and HTTP. Odd, first time I have got bad speeds on torrents since starting here (I was getting 60KB\s last week on the same torrent). Perhaps those who haven't changed billing periods since the announcement might be shaped a bit heavier than usual? (considering the bronze is having to compete with the now gold P2P for those who have changed)
N/A

31/01/06
Everything seems pretty much back to normal now. Torrents tend to peak around 70-80kB/s (but I'm sure I used to see 150 on a regular basis...I dunno). Too many factors are involved in the speed of torrent downloads, I'm just happy that they're going above 8kB/s again. P2P is faster too, but it's not right to compare here since I'm not using the same program as I was before.

The full speed 20GB peak OR 100GB offpeak P2P limits seem fair, although I'll be happier in February when 'peak' is redefined as 4pm to midnight, instead of 8am to midnight.
N/A

Just to let you know, it can't be BT's fault (for once!!) on this one. I left Plusnet a few days ago 'cos of the peak time p2p problems etc and general drop out connections. I have moved to another ISP and everything is GREAT!!!! Full speeds, NO DROPOUTS and it's really weird waking up, and still seeing the wee green light on my modem still active. All in all, (in my opinion) it must be a fault wth Plusnet.

PS_Still able to post here until my subs run out shortly.

Damien
Ex Plusnet customer, Now with ZEN

PPS-By the way, lalestonclose, great post, fully 100% behind you.
lmhudson
Grafter

http://www.yellowmonkey.org/BNBT%20File%20Info.htm

I have just upgraded to Premier (After shocking rates on BB+)
on a 2m Line I am getting 230k on both Http and Usenet (External)

Just tried this torrent, left it running for 8 mins 208 seeds, had handshake with 80 of them. I couldn't get above 20K
N/A

The speed is bad for me again tonight. This time yesterday i was storming along at 230kb/sec, but sadly to night p2p won't go over 25kb/sec...oh wait...it went right upto 160kb/sec - for a few seconds...check out this screenshot:

If that isn't traffic shaping then I don't know what is!
N/A

My speeds are terrible too Evil
Downloading from the web gives me round 250k+, but try a torrent or limewire, god what a joke. I can get no more than 7kbs
I only signed up last month because I thought that this was one isp that wouldnt choke the p2p network. How wrong was I?

2mb Premier

Maybe I use use their dial up number for torrents, probably quicker

Anyway, I won't take this sh*t for long. Contract or no contract.
N/A

Full speed this morning. Although I farted about with some programs the other day and now my PC repeatedly crashes....

Cry
N/A

HTTP/FTP downloads. 200KB/s Average
Torrents 180~220KB/s
Usenet 245K/s

peak or off peak. all about the same
N/A

I know sometimes the speeds arent great but just now downloaded a bit on p2p and was getting around 225k from a mere 30 seeds.
i do think p2p has generally slowed down for one reason or another not just due to the e-coli :lol: shaping etc.