cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are there DNS issues on PlusNet at the moment?

N/A

I can't get to microsoft or google for example but loads of other sites are fine
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Both websites are fine for me and the DNS servers are all responding normally - just did a 600 DNS lookup test on each of the 4 DNS servers and received 100% replies, all within 100ms.

Try rebooting all equipment (including any routers) and try again.
ceridwen
Grafter

Was wondering whether there was a problem myself.

Yesterday, there were a number of times, I had to hit retry quite a few times before connecting to certain websites (consistent with intermittent DNS resolution problems).

Matthew
painswck
Grafter

Quick suggestion. Why not include non-PlusNet dns servers in your search.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I haven't seen any problems with DNS. If it's just a few sites are they mainly transatlantic? Try ebay and MSN as well. If so it could be your MTU/RWIN settings.

Try setting MTU=1430 and RWIN = 13900 (for 512) 27800 (for 1Mbps) or 57600 (for 2Mbps). Reboot and give it another try.
N/A

Hi,

You possibly check your RWIN and MTU size . RWIN should be 1390 and MTU 1430. I had the same sort of problem a few months ago , when for whatever reason they had been changed .

Regards
Ian
N/A

Thanks for help everyone

I connected via the USB modem supplied by PlusNet and it was fine so it looks like it is my router settings. Unfortunately it is a work supplied router and I don't know the password.

I wonder why those setting are necessary for some sites and not for others. msn worked, google.co.uk microsoft.com didn't work at all, and ebay.com was really slow. Any techie explanations appreciated! Smiley
Community Veteran

The internet can be a very funny beast with incompatibilities between equipment and packet sizes all over the place.
michaelscott
Grafter

I was having a terrible time with DNS on Saturday. Every other website took at least three attempts to get it to resolve. Everything seems fine today, though.