cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are plus blocking Easynews?

N/A

Both today and yesterday the easynews pages just time out during peak time. If I try at 23:59 it doesn't work. If I try at 00:01 it works - as though a switch is flicked.

Is this something that Plusnet have introduced on the sly to stop me from being able to download or even search for anything during peak hours?

Not happy!!
7 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

That should not be the case. However as Easynews is in the Silver rather than Gold traffic stream, it is possible that peak time silver packet drops are seeing is having an impact. I'm surprised that stops it from working though.

I'm surprised it's so precisely works fine after 00:00, and would appreciate more feedback on whether anyone else is seeing this.

Cheers,

Ian
JJ
Grafter

Here is some data on the ‘Easynews’ subject

Thursday 20:50

Downloading from Easynews Peak 500kbps Avg 150kbps

Downloading Via Firstclass (VPN ?) from the school I work at

Peak 110kbps, Avg 80kbps

Downloading film clip from Apple trailers

Peak 4500kbps avg 4000kbps

Speed test 4078kbps

Friday 0718

Easynews Peak 2.8Mbps
First class 3Mbps
Apple trailers 6.2Mbps

Speed test 6690Mbps down 688kbps up

1. If I am on the correct PAYG profiles why are the ‘Firstclass’ and Easynews downloads so slow at peak times
2. If I am on the correct PAYG profiles why is my upload speed 688kbps

EDIT and no I am not on LLU
JohnH
N/A

Anyone still having issues with Easynews download speeds?

I'm downloading via their HTTP and HTTPS front end, not NNTP and I’m getting terrible speeds. Maximum of 60K. Doesn’t matter how many downloads or if i use a download manager how many parts per download I permit... the total bandwidth allocated to Easynews downloads appears to average at 60K for me.

Having exceeded my Plus.net peak-time usage allowance before i know it will kill Easynews 100% and i can't even get to their web page but I’m well within my usage allowance this time and I’m trying to download out of peak times.

A few days a go I was getting 500-600K. My ADSL speed tests and downloads from other sites are still 500-600K/sec. Just seems to be specific to Easynews.

Sad
James
Grafter

Jheffer,

The reason why you are getting higher upload speeds is because you are on Max Premiem (as you were on IPStream Office previously).

The speeds you are seeing on Apple Trailers are higher than the other protocols presumably as it is HTTP and treated as gold traffic, hence the faster speeds.
JJ
Grafter

Thanks for that James. As that makes my PAYG account non standard the obvious question is ‘Do I have the correct PAYG profile applied to it?’

JohnH
JJ
Grafter

And just to keep on topic. What about the speeds are they what we should be expecting and why on earth should ‘First class’ (whatever protocol that uses) be so heavily managed.

JohnH
N/A

My Easynews downloads are still running at pathetic speeds (<5K/s) when I am actually able to connect to it. In fact now the slowdown is affecting my entire connection so I will post a new thread about that.