cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are downloads being throttled?

N/A

Simple question. Since last week I've been experiencing poor speeds downloading from newsgroups using newshosting and plusnet. Before, I could download at 230+ kb/s but now it hovers around 120kb/s-150kb/s.

I'm on the 2mb premier account with 8 connections to plusnet newsserver and 4 connections to newshosting. I've tried changing port numbers but to no effect and have even changed the number of connections.

I know I'm not the only one experiencing this as there are other threads out there. All this talk about traffic shaping is confusing but since i heard of it a week ago, I'm beginning to wonder whether that's the problem?
23 REPLIES
Pathfinder
Grafter

Please see the other 45,890,678 "throttled" threads for clarification.
N/A

Please see the other 45,890,678 "throttled" threads for clarification.

Sorry I must have missed something. What's been clarified?
Pathfinder
Grafter

read the Sticky: "Broadband Update - P2P being throttled around the world" for starters.
N/A

Then read all the other post...then get your MAC Smiley because what ever they tell you its still slower than it used to be.
Pathfinder
Grafter

Fine for me but then I'm alright Jack.

If you must download Des O'Connors greatest hits then dont expect it to be too fast.

Cheesy
N/A

Sorry, did the OP pose a reasonable question which was treated with sarcasm and derision? Most helpful.

@apolak80.

As I am sure you have seen, many customers are experiencing issues with d/ls from newsgroups. I cant add any clarity because from what I have seen there does not appear to be a straight forward reason.

A number of suggestions have been made in one or some of the threads and it is probably best that you try and trawl through those threads for a semblance of understanding.
N/A

Thanks Mark, I've looked at some of the other threads now cheers. I should have looked at them before really but since they mentioned p2p I thought they were a separate issue entirely.

I think a big problem with PN is communication. Unless you read the forums, it's hard to understand what's going on with the service.
Pathfinder
Grafter

A number of suggestions have been made in one or some of the threads and it is probably best that you try and trawl through those threads for a semblance of understanding.

As I said several posts before. A severe case of RTFM.
N/A

Perhaps if you had posted in a helpful manner as opposed to blatant sarcasm the OP might have understood.

But that again is a reflection of the way these boards are going of late.
Metalguru
Grafter

............... I think a big problem with PN is communication.

Unless you read the forums, it's hard to understand what's going on with the service.

IMHO the first sentence is absolutely spot on.

As for the second line ..............
I'm not so sure that even reading ALL the forums makes any of it, any clearer.
N/A

............... I think a big problem with PN is communication.

Unless you read the forums, it's hard to understand what's going on with the service.

IMHO the first sentence is absolutely spot on.

As for the second line ..............
I'm not so sure that even reading ALL the forums makes any of it, any clearer.

Yes, you're quite right there. I should have written "even with the forums, it's hard to know what's going on"
N/A

As I said several posts before. A severe case of RTFM.

In fact, why should I have to look through all the forum threads here for an answer? I'm a paying customer. I'm entitled to know why my broadband service is being affected and not have to resort to trawling through these forums for an answer.
Pathfinder
Grafter

In fact, why should I have to look through all the forum threads here for an answer?

Why shouldn't you? Many people have asked the same thing again and again, read their posts and draw your own conclusions.

I take it you do not frequent Usenet often? Go to comp.os.linux and ask how to use ls for some good RTFM responses.

Just damn lazy if you ask me. Kids today, tsk, tsk. Wink
N/A

post subject

the idea of our forum used to be for jovial banter plus help with problems
we may have . and very good and helpful they have been .
but in the three happy years that i have been with plusnet i have
never witnessed such talk that abounds here thesedays
plusnet are not perfect but niether are any of the other
broadband providers i have friends that tell me so