cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plusnet Good Value These Days

N/A

Are Plusnet good value for money these days? I have been with them for 5+ years now and they used to be the cheapest "quality" ISP around. But now I am not so sure.

I have just downgraded from the 21.99 premium package to the new 14.99 package - but it still isn't exactly cheap is it.

You can get a similar deal from Sky, including free evening phone and satellite tv for 24.99.

I am currently paying internet £21.99, phone about £15 and sat tv £19 - which is way more than an all in one package deal.

So unless Sky are pants, which they might be - why would I pay double that price for seperate internet, tv and phone ?
9 REPLIES
N/A

Probably the wrong forum for this but...

I recently switched to from PN b/c 1) we get no tv signal, even freeview here and 2) I was already concerned about PN's rapidly (d)evolving service and P2P restrictions. The new product range with no guarantee of continued support for BB Premier was the final straw.

I too was intrigued by the possibility of getting an all-in-one deal and having searched around Virgin seemed the best option. After some wrangling with their sales team I managed to get the following for £48.25:

--All TV channels including all of the on demand stuff
--All phone calls, all day, every day (inc. 0845/0870)
--2 meg BB
--A second box
--V+ (just like Sky+)

It's a bit more than you mentioned but the phone package was for my wife's business and if you go onto a more standard package you could get if for a lot less. Obviously there are no BT fees for this and as it's cable there was no delay in setting it up.

That said, PN aren't all bad. I think they still provide a good service taking into account all of the changes the industry is going through and for small-scale users their cheap options are good value. CS aren't always that quick to respond to tickets but are ever-present on the forums which is great. I think poor service is a bigger issue with other companies esp. Sky from what I've heard.

Just my 2 cents...
FooAtari
Grafter

I just moved home and took the oppertunity to have a look around at what other ISP's are offering with a view of maybe changing my ISP at my new address and to be honest I couldnt find anyone that offered the same service I get on Premier 1 for around same I am paying now.

I wasn't interested in the Sky bundle, even though I do have Sky TV as I have heared a few bad things about their internet service, and I already have my phone calls billed by another telecoms copany. I use my ISP as an ISP only.

Some ISP's came close, but put me off with peak times that ran from 8am - 10pm, 14 hours (as opposed to 4pm - 12pm, 8 hours) or stricter off-peak restrictions. I have had a pretty good experience with Plus, for the most part my service as always been fast for web browsing, P2P gaming and streaming and I have been told there are no plans to force existing customers to move to the BBYW products, weather that actually happens only time will tell.
N/A

It depends what you want to do with it.

If you want cheap internet access for email and surfing it's pretty good.

If you want decent usage allowances, the £/GB comparison of monthly usage limits is pretty poor against some others. There's also a lot of throttling and small print limits to watch out for.

Can't comment on gaming because I'm not a gamer but a quick scan through the forums says they are pretty slow for gaming pings.
Ianwild
Grafter

Can't comment on gaming because I'm not a gamer but a quick scan through the forums says they are pretty slow for gaming pings.

Does it? I'd argue with that... Every ISP has a posts from people who have poor gaming pings. Can you show me examples of where we've shown those gaming pings are a result of our network?

Ian
Cloudmaster
Grafter

I'm getting pings of 123ms to a game server in Dallas, Texas. I wouldn't call that slow Cheesy
FooAtari
Grafter

If you want decent usage allowances, the £/GB comparison of monthly usage limits is pretty poor against some others. There's also a lot of throttling and small print limits to watch out for.

Thats where I found Plus.net beating other ISP's. I couldn't find anyone that offered anything better for 21.99 per month. Id like to know who they are though if you know of some ISP's?
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

I had no problems recommending BBYW Option 1 to my ex at my old place, after I had moved my ADSL to my current address. All she wanted was a basic connection, that won't engage the line like dialup does, that'll be OK for chatting on MSN and the odd bit of eBaying and emails. If she does want to go on a downloading spree, she's happy to do that midnight-8am. For £9.99 a month, it's hard to go wrong. And, indeed, it's been as reliable as it ever was for her so far.

Likewise, I had no problem recommending BBYW Option 2 to a friend of mine in my old village. All he wants is basic web/email, and the ability to download bits and bobs of clipart for a church newsletter he writes. I did suggest that Option 1 should be ok for his needs, but for the sake of an extra fiver he'd rather play it safe. Again, he understands he can download to his hearts content between midnight-8am.

Both people way happy with the price, and both are satisfied it's a good quality service which will just work, as advertised, 99.9% of the time.

Which is more than I can say for Tiscali, for example. Tongue
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 158

I hope you remembered to tell them your username to get your referral discounts Wink
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Chris Parr
 Plusnet Help Team
Uncle_Meat
Grafter

I hope you remembered to tell them your username to get your referral discounts Wink

Sadly not as yet. Wouldn't mind, but I have turned quite a few people, including a few now-ecstatic ex-Tiscali customers, onto Plusnet now. If I has rememebered/been bothered to go through referral, I'd probably be down to paying around £10 a month myself for my Prem Option 1 account now.. At the time you think "Pffft, tis only 50p".

Anyway, I've got into the habit the last few days, and the extra 4 pints of milk a month I'll be able to afford from those 2 will go down a treat. Tongue