cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are F9 & Plus Net Throttling downloads all the time?

N/A

This is interesting. If I use "normal" downloading, i.e. within IE6 to download a file I usually get a highly varying max speed of 50Kb/ sec etc, always usually slower that my line rate.
However if I use Getright and do segmented downloading on the same download I always get my full dowload speed , usually 250Kb/sec.

Ive tried the same download on F9 and Plus net accounts and both exhibit the same issue. Ive also tried on a BT account that does not.
So are F9 / Plus Net throttling downloads now?

Anyone have the same symptoms?

Gregor
5 REPLIES
N/A

Hello Gregor,

I have no idea if F9 PN are throttling ALL downloads but nothing would suprise me? Infact I think this is a very good & relevant question.

Ivan
N/A

Hi Gregor,

I've had similar issues in the past and were always due to an overworked file server. Using file managers to open up more connections usually resolves the issue as you are utilising more slots.

Try downloading a file from another server and check the results.

As for F9/+net throttling all downloads irrespective of protocol, I hope not.
N/A

Download Throttling

It would appear to me that there is traffic management issues whether that be throttling all downloads or certain ones (P2P or FTP).

With the recent maxdsl upgrades and problems with updated MCR it is difficult to tell whether issues with speed are linked to throttled downloads as well.

My MaxDsl is currently syncing at 5Mb upgraded from 1Mb, my MCR value is 4500. Running F9 speed check, my speed is yet to achieve above 2.2Mb. Downloading however through http,ftp,streaming etc speeds never increase above 1Mb. Its as though my MCR value is still set at 1Mb however i'm sure F9 would blame contention etc, where as I would believe it to be more download throttling!
edbangor
Grafter

It probably doesn't help but my download speeds are normally at line speed.
Be that in Internet Explorer or Getright, although Getright is often better because of the segmented downloads it can do.
USEnet too, is usually line speed, (except in "Peak hours" of course but then I don't use it then)
Bit Torrents are usually slower, but then that is their nature, and even then, on occasion, with the right number of seeds they too, hit line speed.

Of course, my line speed is only 1.1mb!
quelquod
Rising Star

Can't say I've noticed any ftp download throttling. I've a 2Mb line and I seem to get around 220k or thereby. Very dependent on the source site of course - many only provide a much lower rate which is nothing to do with F9.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!