cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are BT to blame?

N/A

Are BT to blame?

Hello,

I used to have great speeds (briefly) around 2.5 mb when I first joined PN 3 months ago, for the last 2 months its been approx 200k. Ive reported this as a fault and approx two weeks ago an engineer came out form BT did some tests and basically said the exchange had capped my speeds and this should get better. It didnt so BT rang me again and an engineer said he had 'remapped the circuit' and so speeds should pick up in a few days to the above max.

They haven't so again PN have flagged this with BT. When I check on connection settings I get the below message
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your High-speed Broadband Service

Your current broadband speed is 500 Kbps

What does this speed mean?
This is the speed that the network supplier is telling us you should expect on your line. If your hardware is reporting higher speeds, you can try and automatically update this speed by disconnecting and reconnecting once a day for 3 days.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its still no better whatever I do. Is it all down to BT to get my speeds up to soemthing half decent? I dont understand why they got so bad in the first place, is this a result of maxdsl?
3 REPLIES
N/A

Are BT to blame?

Seems your on maxdsl, and 500 kbps is the speed its decided is the most stable for your connection.

What is the speed your modem is syncing at?
N/A

Are BT to blame?

I dont know, how do I found that out? Is there anything I can do or PN can do so I can get a better speed?
N/A

Are BT to blame?

If you have a usb modem, windows should tell you somewhere. If you have a router, then it'll be in the administration pages.