cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April Upgrades

N/A

April Upgrades

I'm currently on 512k atm, hopefully getting 2mb at least when the upgrades begin. However will I need a new modem for the speed increases as I have
an Alcatel Speed Touch USB supplied from Freeserve some 4yrs ago :?:

Will these results guarantee 2mb :?:

The following level of service is available at your location:
You can receive 2Mbps ADSL
You can receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL
You are approximately 947 metres from the exchange (straight line distance).
8 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

April Upgrades

Looks like you're good for 2Mb, you shouldn't have any problems receiving the faster speeds with your modem.

You're likely to be OK for speeds over and above the 2Mb mark, however this will only be determined when the upgrades take place and are dependant on the Line Loss on your line. (i.e. how much signal is lost between exchange and your modem).

I would sit back, wait, and see what happens. With regards to the modem, you shouldn't experience any issues with it. You're upgrade to 2Mb should be sometime between April - June and from September possibly faster.
Community Veteran

April Upgrades

Any exchange checker results are should be taken as a guide and not a guarantee of what you will get. Also any line length is a straight line distance and may not be anything related to your actual line length.

Most modems should work at at least 2Mbs. Can you state your actual make and model?
N/A

April Upgrades

It doesnt say about a model no, but these no's are on it.
Alcatel Speed Touch USB
3EC18607GF AB 02
CP0204K8555
LiamM
Grafter

April Upgrades

I have checked for you and can confirm that it will support upto 8Mb. So you're fine. One thing you need to be aware of is that the USB bus will only support 12Mb/s, and as such the performance of the line may be impaired somewhat depending on the performance of your PC.
N/A

April Upgrades

And there was me thinking that all ADSL modems could also be connected via ethernet.

Simon
LiamM
Grafter

April Upgrades

Unfortunately not, because that is by far the best way to go short of a router....
mike7201

My modem needs checking too!

Sad

I'm new to this forum stuff, so I hope I get this right... From reading the above posts, I think someone is asking whether their Alcatel Freeserve Broadband modem will be ok with an 8MB connection. I want to know the same thing. I have an Allied Data Copperjet ADSL modem, which I bought to use with Freeserve broadband, but then signed up with Plusnet instead... Will this modem work if I pay for (and get) an 8MB connection? I'm already using it for a 2MB connection, but want to know if when the exchange is ready to feed us with faster speeds, whether my existing modem will be able to receive these speeds so that I will notice a difference on my PC?
N/A

April Upgrades

I have checked for you and can confirm that it will support upto 8Mb. So you're fine. One thing you need to be aware of is that the USB bus will only support 12Mb/s, and as such the performance of the line may be impaired somewhat depending on the performance of your PC.

The 12Mbps maximum for USB1.1 (most modems are 1.1 rather then 2.0) shouldn't impact too noticably on an ADSL connection of even 8Mbps, unless you have other active devices (printers, scanners, etc...) on the same bus. I've connected IDE drives over USB 1.1 through IDE<->USB adaptors before now and seen a sustained rate of around 10Mbps.

If you do jump from 0.5Mbps to 8Mbpsd in this round of upgrades then you'll be hard pressed to prove any lack of speed is down to your modem - could your current usage push the potential 16x speed increase to saturation point before you hit other problems?! (if you downoad at 8Mbps for hours/days on end, how are you going to store and organise all the data you collect?) Can the site(s) you are downloading from send you data fast enough?