cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April Product Refresh Discussion/Questions & Answers

N/A

Please use this thread to discuss the recent product refresh announcement.

Thank you.
36 REPLIES
N/A

Firstly, my first read of this (and I am going to need to read it a couple more times) is that it is a vast improvement over the current arrangments.

I had typed a few points here, but I think I'll go to work, read this a couple more times and then reply after the details have sunk in.
N/A

I have read this a few times now, and i like it as far as a PAYG user.

The Midnight to 8am is great! + Plustalk is a bonus (however this is just to get users to use it) - the last time i tried it, it was rubbish!

But i will go back and read it again - see if i can think on anything!
quelquod
Rising Star

I have read this a few times now, and i like it as far as a PAYG user.

Just remember though (as a fellow PAYG user) that we actually pay a lot for our relatively small use of the service and we are very heavily penalised for overuse. F9 love us. Most people will make no use at all of the night-time hours because most PAYG users download little and their usage patterns are pretty fixed.

The Plustalk offer really doesn't cost F9 anything and if people make much use of it do you think it will be free for long?

Tch tch!! - getting into the habit of cynical grumbling here, but I'd still rather the money was put into better service as it used to be rather than eye-catching but meaningless offers.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
N/A

As a Plus user who connects via a 1Mb exchange in a rural location, the only positive I can see from my quick read through is the 4pm - Midnight peak period change.

I'm disappointed with the new 3Gb 4pm - Midnight quota. All my existing use is between 8am - Midnight (with most use being in the evenings) and my usage is currently about 3.5Gb with 10 days left in this billing period. As there's no other Plus package available, that squeezes me out! Yes, I know what F9's reaction to this will be...

A second Plus package with a larger quota, say 5Gb from 4pm - Midnight would be ideal - I'd pay more for it, but it sounds as though this is now cast in stone. Sad

Fred
aedwards
Dabbler

I'm confused...

Broadband Premier Option 1, peak time is 4pm-midnight, peak use is 15Gb.

Outside peak hours, usage doesn't count towards any limit.

So where does the 30Gb in the graphic further down come in? What usage is outside peak, but still counts towards a limit?

What about weekends? Is all day Saturday and Sunday outside peak?

Are there still limits on specific protocols, like Usenet and peer-to-peer transfers?

Thanks.

Alan.
N/A

Hi Alan,

I will try and explain as clearly as I can ( as im not all too clear at the best of times ).

Peak times
You will be allowed 30GB SUP and also 15GB in usage limits. The way it will work is as follows.
The 15GB is monitored across all protocols ( http, https, ssh, P2P, FTP, VoIP etc etc etc etc ).

0 - 10GB =
Line speed for all protocols.

10 - 12.5GB =
Protocols such as http, pop3, smtp will be served at 2mb ( as apposed to the 8mb or whatever your line speed was ).
Protocols such as P2P, FTP and USENET will be served at 256k.

12.5 - 15GB =
Http etc etc served at 1mb
P2P, FTP etc etc served at 128k

15GB - 30GB =
http etc etc served at 512k
P2P, FTP etc = Blocked for the remainder of the billing period.

If you go over the 30GB your line speed is degraded to 128k. If you exceed the 30GB for a second time ever ( I think ) you will be permanently managed at 128k until you either upgrade or leave the network.

Off Peak
During the hours of Midnight - 4PM you will have no set limit. The only restrictions are natural contentions or if the network is busy a managed connection so everyone has a fair share of the bw.
Dont be disillusioned that the off peak period is an absolute free for all and you can download Nasa on a saturday day time as any excessive usage will be dealt with.

Peak times and off peak times remain in place 7 days a week.

I hope I have cleared this up a little bit for you. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,
N/A

Not had a chance to read it properly yet, but I picked up on the key facts about changes in usage allowances and peak time usage etc.

My first impression is that this is a much better situation and this is what should have been implemented in the first place.... although I'm slighly concerned about the considerably lower peak time usage figures, the unmetered off-peak usage policy more than makes up for it and I'm happy with that.

The biggest impact for me might be that during the summer for 3 months when Big Brother live streaming is on, I probably won't be able to use my internet connection for anything else during 4pm-midnight peak time because I'll need every last byte allowance for the video feed. I can't schedule "live video" to download at off peak times.
N/A

Hi,

Now I'm completely confused!! by all these limits, allowences, useage, SUP, peak & non peak times. Its doing by brain in. I'm on premier 2meg at moment and 95% of my use is 4pm to midnight. Mainly, http, email, & occational bit of FTP and I am by my own admission a very lite user but I'd still like to understand how these changes might potentially affect me? Can anyone here clarify it for me as I said now I'm feeling utterly confused. Cry

Thanks Ivan
N/A

I've been really busy at work, and not had time to read the original post, and only skim these posts.

But I can't see the point of TWO usage schemes.

I think F9 have invested so much time and effort into two schemes that they can't bring themselves to re-evaluate things.

Basically my thought is two schemes = twice the headache.

This announcement simplifies things a lot, it just stops short of simpifying it enough. But if it can't be rationalised down to a single rule - it's too complicated.

I think the restrictions could be explained better (the "this much usage, will result in this much slow down" explaination by hsnetwork wasn't included anywhere else and tells people what they are getting.

It think the slow downs as listed are TOO MUCH. If line speed P2P is okay for some of the time, then why the restriction to 256k? I'd like to the restrictions be higher, (2M, 1.5M, 1M, and 512k seem better. I'd also like to the usage limit itself to be proportional to the slowdown, maybe kicking in as early as 5M (with a 6M speed cap).

I'm still not clear if the 256K/512K speed limitiations only apply from 4pm to midnight. And I though the original post included a statement that no slowdown would be below 512K.

And now a shock comment. I think there should be some notional restrictions placed on P2P during the day. From 8am to 4pm, a single restriction on P2P to maybe 6M or 4M, lifted at 4pm when the "real" usage limits kick in. I HATE the idea of restrictions, but I also understand the need for network traffic not to be dominated by a single protocol. I don't think 6M or 4M would be seen as draconian, and would still allow fast downloads - but allow for everyone else to get a share of the pie.

I'd also like to see someone explain how a network that hasn't had any serious upgrades done to it since everyone was on 512K links will handle everyone on 8M. The traffic shaping must allow for that, but everyone seems to be playing it's role down now - but to get 8M through a 512K infrastructure must require some serious shoehorning.

But as I said, I haven't re-read it posts enough for some of the detail to sink in yet.
N/A

Hi,

Now I'm completely confused!! by all these limits, allowences, useage, SUP, peak & non peak times. Its doing by brain in. I'm on premier 2meg at moment and 95% of my use is 4pm to midnight. Mainly, http, email, & occational bit of FTP and I am by my own admission a very lite user but I'd still like to understand how these changes might potentially affect me? Can anyone here clarify it for me as I said now I'm feeling utterly confused. Cry

Thanks Ivan

yep it does get confusing

glad i no longer a paying customer but a payg one

no more restrictions for me at the moment, like i said in another post its a farce, most people work during the day, so they are going to use the pc between 4pm and midnight, not many will leave them switched on overnight, as they still think about things blowing up, fires starting, cost of electricity, etc, etc

i know i only use about 20-50gb a month, which isn't a lot when i have a network, and support other members of family remotely, do a lot of downloading, and i'm definitely looking forward to live video streams similar to live radio broadcasts.

so far my new connection has been fine, and have had no problems, took about 5-6 days for migration once gave key to new isp

granted they may change later on and put caps on, but until then I know i have an unlimited bandwidth, and if they change it soon they in breach of contract and have sold me the product on false statements, luckily kept the emails where they confirm it is totally unlimited

regards
mike
Frogger
Grafter

SUP Check for understanding / question

My first pass through this document indicates a significant improvement in policy representing mostly fair and reasonable control.
With regard to the SUP, if I were a Premier Option One Customer, I believe that if I exceeded 30Gbyte peak traffic, I would be restricted to 128K bandwidth until the next bill date then reset. Having done that once (perhaps by lack of due care / Trojan etc.). Then after perhaps 6 months of very light use, I accidentally bust 30Gbyte again, I will be forced to upgrade or leave. Is this Correct ?
Effectively I never have the course to redress the issue, even if it was accident, out of control teenager or whatever. Could I suggest that a reasonable tweak to SUP would be to ask for the user to demonstrate reform by resetting the 'bust 30G' counter to zero if the user consistently shows lower usage for a period of a few months. I view it like points on your driving licence, you get caught speeding you are very careful, however, even those points can be removed after a period of time.

Just an Idea
Colin
blahblah
Grafter

I have only one question: will my original contract be honoured?
N/A

I have only one question: will my original contract be honoured?

when did you sign-up - most contracts have changed over the past 6 months due to the different changes made by f9, so would probably say that your original contract is now defunct
blahblah
Grafter

2001/2 and I ask the same question everytime (maybe not always through the forum). I signed up for unmetered bw but F9's various marketing machinations (so BT-like it's unbelieveable) make it almost impossible to compare what's now on offer to what I signed up for. Any comment F9?