cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April Product Refresh Discussion/Questions & Answers.

braindead
Dabbler

So, as a potential "up to 8mb" customer, I will have a data transfer of 10gb per month peak time, before restrictions are applied? - What are these restrictions? Will we have the same situation as now when even inside our allowances, p2p is managed according to network demand?
This is the telling quote for me (refering to p2p / Usenet):
these applications become blocked during peak hours once the allowance is reached.
301 REPLIES
Ianwild
Grafter

Hi Guys,

Could we please keep all questions and views to this thread and we will look to answer all for you.

As a point of reference the announcement is Here

Ian
N/A

great post ian, all looks good to me

Fascinating!-- but why the obsession with levels of Premier related to "up to" speeds instead of honestly relating them to usage/SUP allowances? The speed relationship is pretty meaningless! :roll:

i have got to agree with this though, the "upto 4Mb" product has been scrapped without anyone actually getting that speed.
N/A

Ok - all sounds reasonable so far - looking for the small print. Currently 2mb prem

So, once you reach your download limit during peak times you'll get managed during peak times but restricitions lifted off peak.

Off peak traffic doesn't count towards your peak limit but willl still count towards your limit for fair useage? Wasn't sure on that point?

When do the bulk upgrades start - is it down to exchanges (mine being done at the moment) or will it be some months in the future?

I think I'm happy? :shock:
avalon
Grafter

I have a comment about the SUP management in your post Ian. It seems to suggest that you could breach SUP once and it would be reset but the next time you would be on management till the end of time.

I can see the logic and desire to upsell or force out the heavy users but I can forsee a situation where someone breaches SUP once and is reset then forgets about it and three years down the line the same thing happens but this time they get an e-mail saying move up or get out. Between these times the customer might have been a model user. This could alienate long term customers needlessly.

I would suggest you amend the SUP management to something like "breach twice in a rolling 12 month period you get 24/7 management for a year then it is reset"

That would have the same effect on the heavy users as your proposed scheme but not unfairly penalise someone who accidently breaches once in a blue moon.
Ianwild
Grafter

I have a question. Would upgrading your package enable an early upgrade to ADSL Max, rather than waiting for an automatic upgrade?

Actually, I believe it will. BT have a set amount of upgrades they do each day, which we will use as discussed in the argument, but there will also be some provision for "Business as Usual" upgrades, which means an account upgrade will be done on demand.

Regards,

Ian
Community Veteran

Just to add my comments to Liams

Excellent and informative description of the new products. I think they are a big improvement in terms of simplicity and understandability.

I would like (in the fullness of time) to understand in more detail how management is applied once I exceed the 66 and 83% levels, but I think the overall idea (completely stopping p2p and usenet at 100% during peak time) of making it almost impossible to exceed SUP usage is a good one.

I also like the fact that web and voip etc will never be restricted below 512. I also look forward to trying out the Plus talk option.

Keep up the good work - and well done on keeping your promise of posting tonight (sorry - last night now for me in Germany). Must have been a bit frantic for you.

Good night
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Looks like it may solve a lot of problems in that it is relatively simple to understand and explain at a numbers level.
There is one area, however, where I am confused.
PAYG pay per GB except between midnight and 8 am
Plus gets a 3GB peak allowance between 4pm and midnight which is relatively clean and the remaining time isn't counted.
Unless there are some very clear advantages in the PAYG speeds at peak times I for one will probably be switching to BB+ as I don't use P2P or Usenet. I do however use FTP quite a lot (about 1GB per month out of a total of 3-4GB so I suppose that isn't high in the overall scheme).
I suspect this type of activity would match many users so these questions are, I hope, relevant.
Is it correct to assume that HTTP and e-mail traffic up to 3GB peak time will be in the gold queue and hence effectively unshaped.
How will FTP traffic be prioritised within the 3GB limit - unshaped, lightly shaped or heavily shaped and would it be possible to put some indicative speeds against these bands.
Ianwild
Grafter

I can see the logic and desire to upsell or force out the heavy users but I can forsee a situation where someone breaches SUP once and is reset then forgets about it and three years down the line the same thing happens but this time they get an e-mail saying move up or get out. Between these times the customer might have been a model user. This could alienate long term customers needlessly.

At this point, I really think i'm being accurate when I suggest SUP will not be with us in three years, and that there is no way people will be on the same products that far in the future.

If this does become a concern, I assure you that we will do something to address it.

Regards,

Ian
dannykos
Grafter

hi - as a PAYG customer i'm really pleased about the free 'off peak' usage - but just a little confused about the timing? The new peak hours are from 4pm to midnight - yet the free PAYG only runs 'til 8am? Not being greedy - just wondered about the discrepancy?

Thanks for all the hard work that obviously went / is going into this.
N/A

Ok, So what about pricing of these new optionsHuh
Community Veteran

repost from the other topic as per Ians request:

Ian,
Firstly, congratuatlions, read through it all and it all seems like a very positive move for PN and great for customers, the free Plustalk for customers is also a good incentive.

Just 1 quick question, going by what you said; customers who have been with pn the longest will be upgraded first, this means for the likes of me I will be waiting probably till the end of the year for an upgrade even though my exchange was enabled at the start of the year, would it be possible to pay a 14.99 regrade fee to speed this up?
channel
Grafter

I didn't understand the graphs from the e-colis. At the risk of making myself look stupid:

In this picture:

At 06:00 hours there is about 400M of something above the x axis and there is -600M of something below the x axis. I don't really understand what either of those numbers are? What is it that is +400 and what is it that is -600 and how is it possible to have -600 bandwidth?
Community Veteran

Uploads and downloads

The bigger figure is downloads.
Community Veteran

the pluses are the uploads from customer connections and the minuses are downloads to our connections