cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

April 2006 8MB thing

N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

It's probably been said somewhere but when we get free upgrade to 8MB broadband will the limits move up?
15 REPLIES
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

No, the limits stay the same, as each is increased by the same amount, so your limits will not increase, unfortunately
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

And given the last time BT got involved in any mass upgrade it went somewhat pear shaped I'd not hold my breath waiting for the upgrade...
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

What so on premier it will still be 100GB anytime, 30GB peak, 20GB clean allowanceHuh

Then there really is no point in upgrading to 8Mb - it won't be web browsing where you'll see this speed show, it'll be when downloading. But that's irrelevant if the limits stay the same.
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

Shah, I’d like it if you could offer me a clear monthly usage pattern that necessitates more than 30GB bandwidth every month. I’d bet money that the majority of those voicing complaints against these limits would struggle to put forward a legitimate need to use so much bandwidth, consistently.

There’s always true unlimited providers still around, such as Zen. But it’ll cost ya.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

April 2006 8MB thing

Then there really is no point in upgrading to 8Mb - it won't be web browsing where you'll see this speed show, it'll be when downloading. But that's irrelevant if the limits stay the same.

I don't see how it's irrelevant. The bulk regrade programme last year regraded most customers up to 2Mbps and yet the average use on a Premier account barely changed. For most people the increase to 2Mbps meant that they could do the same as they did before just in less time.

For most people the upgrades to up to 8Mbps are going to mean the same sort of thing. We do also expect that with these speeds that more people are going to start looking at things like Sky by Broadband and the BBC's IMP service, and that these are going to increase usage, but I think it's also important to highlight that for example 14GB represents 30 hours of DivX quality TV and film.

The SUP figures of 30GB peak and 100GB total represent an awful lot of data, more than what most people will use when the faster speeds become available, but as we've said even these figures will be relaxed as the wholesale pricing comes down.
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

Sorry I realise this isn't exactly the right place to ask this, but how much capacity will it take to watch HD broadcast from broadband? No disrespect but for those with HD widescreen tv's, DIVX isn't really going to cut it quality wise. I realise SKYs HD will be coming down the dish, but I guess there must be scope for HD movies on demand from SKY/A.N.Other providers.

Also, are these type of services liable to suffer from problems like gaming, where the feed needs to be consistently fast and reliable, or is it buffered to allow for glitches? (not too technical, hope you get my drift)

Cheers
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

I don't see how it's irrelevant. The bulk regrade programme last year regraded most customers up to 2Mbps and yet the average use on a Premier account barely changed. For most people the increase to 2Mbps meant that they could do the same as they did before just in less time.

For most people the upgrades to up to 8Mbps are going to mean the same sort of thing. We do also expect that with these speeds that more people are going to start looking at things like Sky by Broadband and the BBC's IMP service, and that these are going to increase usage, but I think it's also important to highlight that for example 14GB represents 30 hours of DivX quality TV and film.

The SUP figures of 30GB peak and 100GB total represent an awful lot of data, more than what most people will use when the faster speeds become available, but as we've said even these figures will be relaxed as the wholesale pricing comes down.

Fair enough. I do understand that PlusNet is in a difficult position since they have to depend on BT's wholesale pricing.

However, it just doesn't feel like a complete upgrade to have the speed increased by (up to) four times it's original, but then to leave caps totally untouched.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

April 2006 8MB thing

The problem of course is that there's a heck of alot more than 30 hours in a month ... Wink

30GB is relatively tiny when you are running servers Wink (e.g. my BW was reset on the 27th, it's the 30th now and my usage is at just under 3GB ... and thats only because there's problems at my local exchange which means usage has to be slower and ergo, uses less BW)

The problem with the last statement is that I've heard several times of "when wholesale pricing comes down", yet nobody seems to be able to give so much as an estimate as to when thats going to be ... leaving a never ending black hole of "when's" and "if's" ...
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

mysteryfcm,

I think that ofcom are allow LLU to make a fair cop for it in the market efore they allow BT to lower their prices. Otherwise it would be BT all the way and you would still be on 28.8k lol. I think this is it, but im not wanting to be quoted.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

April 2006 8MB thing

Otherwise it would be BT all the way and you would still be on 28.8k lol.

Rofl, we'd be THAT far ahead? :? :lol: :lol:
N/A

April 2006 8MB thing

Unbelievable aint it.

The technology we could have had and the technology we are no stuck with lol. :lol:

I cannot come round to the fact that the UK is that far behind in the market for BB.

Oh well at least the labelling is progressing slowly. We wished BT would too.
MysteryFCM
Grafter

April 2006 8MB thing

hehe certainly puts things into perspective ...
crimsone
Grafter

April 2006 8MB thing

14GB represents 30 hours of DivX quality TV and film.

Now, now, aren't we a little behind ourselves? It's all Xvid now!!! lol
Community Veteran

April 2006 8MB thing

On that note, when a lot of us are on the higher transfer speeds after April, I susspect that it could mean that network uttilisation at any one time may in fact fall to some extent. (Maybe not, but just my way of thinking)
IE; For the vast majority of peeps who will be downloading only fairly small stuff during peak (as they do now) - the fact it will come down to them so much quicker means that they will be using the band width for a shorter period, therefore allowing for a better overlap with more customers being able to co-exist.

If this bares out in practice (which only time will tell) then this alone may be enough to allow PN to loosen the reins a little on the SUP.

I may <read prob' am> talking rubbish, but it makes sense to me anyhow! Tongue