Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apologies to customers for today's DNS issues

Neil_A
Grafter

Dear customers,

I’d like to apologise for the inconvenience caused by today’s DNS issues. This was the result of an administrative misunderstanding between PlusNet and our domain partners in the USA. This caused the temporary removal of the force9.net and plus.net domain names from DNS. This affected outgoing and incoming emails for some PlusNet customers. It also prevented customers from seeing www.plus.net , customer websites hosted on the plus.com domain and other .com domains hosted by PlusNet.

The time difference between the UK and the USA exacerbated the issue, as we were not able to resolve the problems as quickly as we would like to have done.

All services are now returning to normal. We are undertaking a thorough investigation and are already putting actions in place to ensure this does not occur again in the future.

I would like to sincerely apologise again to all customers who were affected by this situation.

Kind Regards,

--
Neil Armstrong
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I have a .co.uk domain which worked throughout however I signed up to a forum that needs activation during this time is there any way of getting the e-mail back or will I have to contact the site admin? It would have been sent to the domain not @no7olivier.plus.com but it's the same inbox at the end of it.
N/A

takes balls to apologise when u screw up

well done Neil
N/A

Would be better to apologise to *all* the paying customers, not just those of us who read the forums

How hard would it be to send an e-mail shot?
Ben_Brown
Grafter

no7olivier - it's likely that the email will have been bounced to the sender, so you'll need to contact the site to get it re-sent.
N/A

Indeed.

An apology and an assurance that the issue is being investigated goes a long way.

Thanks Neil.
N/A

Neil many thanks for the honesty, most of realise that human error can occur and a frank technical explanation is appreciated.
Community Veteran

no7olivier - it's likely that the email will have been bounced to the sender, so you'll need to contact the site to get it re-sent.

Thanks Ben, just thought i'd check.
N/A

How hard is it to sign up to the PlusNet Status Mailing List?
N/A

I think (hope!) that most PlusNet customers are reasonable people who realise that problems will, inevitably, occur from time to time, and will accept this as long as they know what the score is.

As well as appreciating Neil's apology and explanation, I also appreciated the Service Status updates that arrived in my Vispa e-mail account. When someone phoned up and said "Have you changed ISP or something? My e-mail to you has just bounced", I knew why - it is good to be kept in the picture instead of stumbling in the dark!

Smiley
N/A

How hard is it to sign up to the PlusNet Status Mailing List?

I didn't know there was one.

How hard would it be for Plusnet to let people know about all there different mailing lists? Wink
N/A

- it is good to be kept in the picture instead of stumbling in the dark!

If there have been measures put in place to prevent this sort of event happening again, as Neil Armstrong has stated, then it shouldn't be a reoccurring problem.

However, if it does continue you could always visit PlusNetters, the the unofficial alternative to PlusNets forums. It's not in competition with PlusNet, it's a complementary site and can be useful because it is hosted on a very fast independent server.

Bookmark it for future dns problems or join and help it grow.
csogilvie
Grafter

I didn't know there was one.

How hard would it be for Plusnet to let people know about all there different mailing lists? Wink

There was an idea raised to publish it on the Status Page back in January.
LiamM
Grafter

That would be a very good idea, Colin.

To Neil, and out of interest, why do you use a US company for your domains? Any particular reason?
crimsone
Grafter

ty Neil. much appreciated. Smiley