cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AnythingsPossible with traffic shaping

N/A

This is just something i found on a site about traffic shaping,

i posted it here as some users on here like myself are not sure what ISPs could do with traffic shapping,

{ intelligent IP traffic management software enables Internet service providers to control bandwidth consumption by IP address. Netowrk administrators can define and manage a virtually unlimited number of service level agreements (SLAs) at different price points, and view bandwidth consumption in real-time, while gathering comprehensive historical statistics for later analysis and billing. }

So too me it looks like any type of shaping could be used -ie from individuals to groups like certain exchanges etc...
15 REPLIES
N/A

I just reposted to say that maybe this is why some users claim to be getting high d/l rates while others are getting slower rates on things like p2p etc

Just my thoughts i could be wrong ...but i could be right.. :roll:
LiamM
Grafter

It is true that the equipment can assign users to Profiles and this is what happens now. We all travel through the same equipment, but resources are segmented. I.e. there is a much higher level of shaping on Plus than on Premier as Plus customers are assigned to a different profile on the equipment.

This is further supported by the new ADSL Utilization Graphs where they show the splits.
N/A

so would i be right in thinking that just say if a ISP had some really good customers, they wanted to keep the ISP could give them a higher priority like more bandwiiths at peak times , while at the same time reduceing the bandwiths with other users,, like with a buisness v residential scenerio.
N/A

Effectivly, yes they could.

The problem is, all customers should expect near enough the same speeds as other customers on the same profile.

So provided technical issues and other network problems can be rulled out, it can be pretty easy to spot if this sort of thing was happening.
N/A

@acarr

This i whats puzzleing me with Plusnet , is that why some users like on the premier package are getting they claim really high speeds and others are getting really slow speeds at peak times, i know other things have to be taken in to account..

Take me for example my speeds through the day are great if i d/l from a server i get 200kb + some website etc vary depending on traffic users on the site etc..

but last night mine and my sons connection,, we have to phonelines and 2 plusnet premier accounts,, we both tried the same servers and site and got more or less the same results...d/l slow from 25kbs to 70kb or there abouts, so i rang my friend 50yrds up the street and asked him to try d/l from the servers and websites , by the way hes with a diferent ISp = he was able to d/l at approx 200kbs to 230kbs from the server and from the website where i was trying to download linux from he was double my speed..

so being on the same exchange ruled out any contention issue, i checked the VP aswell which had no problems, i know my equipment works well because i d/l through the day plus my sons etc,,so the only thing i can think off is the traffic shapping,,
N/A

How did you check your VP?

Have you tried following the tutorial on how to use the BT speed tester?
rspurgeon
Grafter

Hi,

Ive noticed recently that a lot of people seem to be downloading Linux. Maybe what plusnet should do is download all the latest distributions onto one of their central servers and allow plusnet customers to download from that source.

Surely this would save loads of external bandwidth and everybodies speed problems would go awayHuh

Good idea huh! Cheesy
N/A

what about the bandwidth to get to plusnet serversHuh?

we are still going down bt lines to get to it thus plusnet have to pay for it
and we are still being hampered by shaping and the line connection and volume of hit it could even degrade ppl actual bb connections if the server was in constent downloading to users.
N/A

@acarr

I checked the VP staus with a link on here also on a few other ISPs and all showed green,

Yes did a speed test with bt and that was 1970 correct figures are on my sons Pc as i used his router on his line

as his router is eay to setup, my router is a PC running linux and was not going to play about with it last

night..

The speed test from plusnet was less at 05-09-2005 23:21:05 1582

thxs
N/A

Surely this would save loads of external bandwidth and everybodies speed problems would go awayHuh

Unfortunatly not.

The whole problem is the transfer of the data between the ISP and the consumer, and not the ISP and the internet.
N/A

Below are the latest tests i run, but stil only d/l at 25-50k that was earlier on tonight, but now at this time d/l back to 200+

SNR Margin 17.8 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation 31.8 31.5 dB
Errored Seconds 0 0
Loss of Signal 0 0
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 0 0
Data Rate 2272 288 kbps
Latency FAST FAST

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester2.nat.bt.com for user 014xxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a

1.7Mb file at a speed of

1909 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxx.xx.xx.xxx, your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 and is running

on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

For 250kbps End Users speeds between 50 - 250kbps.
For 500kbps End Users speeds between 100 - 500kbps.
For 1000kbps End Users speeds between 200 - 1000kbps.
For 2000kbps End Users speeds between 400 - 2000kbps.

so no problems ther i dont think.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

This i whats puzzleing me with Plusnet , is that why some users like on the premier package are getting they claim really high speeds and others are getting really slow speeds at peak times, i know other things have to be taken in to account.

Hi,

I don't think this is just a PlusNet thing, as you say a lot of factors need to be taken into account.

With any speed decrease it is important to try and track the cause of it down, the problem is, it could be in a lot of places, for example

Customer equipment
Phone line
Exchange
BT Network
PlusNet network
Internet

Each of these can be broken down further.

The BT speedtester can generally rule in/out the first three and most of the fourth from the equation depending on what the result is.

so being on the same exchange ruled out any contention issue

Not necessarily. Each exchange can have more than one DSLAM and each DSLAM will have several VP's Even if two people's ADSL services are on the same exchange, it doesn't mean they are on the same DSLAM and certainly doesn't mean they are on the same VP. It's also possible for just one VP out of several at an exchange to see contention problems.

so the only thing i can think off is the traffic shapping

Alone I would say that our network management is unlikely to be the cause, and if it's a http/ftp download then I would have thought it was next to impossible.

The design of our network and the use of our network management is ensure that we are offering the best possible service to our customers, at worst, unless there is a major service outage, you shouldn't see more than a 10% loss in speed and then only on P2P. No other services should be negatively affected by the traffic shaping, in fact some should only see positive effects.
N/A

@dtomlinson

thxs for the info,

But ive allready had a reply from CS claiming its plusnets traffic shaping thats causeing the slow speeds , so who do i belive..? :roll:
mike001
Grafter

ooooooowwwww some one from CS is gona get a slap from top brass for saying that lmfao :lol:

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Quote removed as it wqas just a copy of the preceding post and not required.