cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything happening to the network tonight?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Hi

I usually get pretty good speeds, for my 4.5Mg connection. All speedtesters usually show between 3.9 and 4.3Meg. Tonight speeds have been very laggy, and speedtesters show sub 2Mb speeds. I managed to get onto the BT speedtester ( shock horror!!), and got the following:-

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5376 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 4110 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

This is obviously an issue on the Plus network. I have also gateway hopped a couple of times, been on PTN-AG1, and PTE-AG1 I am on at the min. I have also rebooted my router in case it was a router issue ( had been up for over 15 days).

Can anyone comment, or is anyone else seeing these issues. I am usually more than happy with my connection as I dont P2P, FTP, just browse the web, watch the occ video etc.

Line Stats at the min are

Uptime: 0 days, 0:31:14
Modulation: G.992.1 Annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5,376
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:6.55 / 52.78
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 19.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 26.0 / 42.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23.0 / 6.0

SNR never really drops below 6 occ gets to 5. I use the DMT tool to set it up during the day, when SNRs are usually higher to make it more stable in the evening.
18 REPLIES
N/A

Im on pte-ag2 at the mo and surfing is like walking through glue and speeds are down by a third for me.
purplebus
Grafter

I'm on ptn-ag2 and my connection died at around 5pm this evening. Had no connection during the evening until it suddenly burst into life about 20 mins ago. What has been going on ?
N/A

I'm also connected to pte-ag2 and it's been awful all day...
Judging from the graphs it looks like it's dropping the most gold packets, which perhaps explains why my VPN has been so dire this afternoon.

When I tried pinging my work-server at 4.50pm one result came back at 4036ms! Yay - A New Hi-Score!
The rest were generally between 110-180ms with the odd 600ms.
On a good morning the ping times start around 25ms - so that's a fair drop-off in response times!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

The new BT Speedtest measures the speed across both our network and BT's network, so a result of 4110 kbps is actually the speed on our network.

Only the old BT speedtest measures the speed between you and the exchange

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwspeedtest.htm

As such it's very difficult to say what the problem is, regarding the other speedtests I'd take the results seen on our speedtest (we intend to replace it very soon) and speedtest.net with a pinch of salt because they both seem to be very unreliable of late. www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk is probably the most reliable of late.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I'm on ptn-ag2 and my connection died at around 5pm this evening. Had no connection during the evening until it suddenly burst into life about 20 mins ago. What has been going on ?

There's been a few MSOs today on BT's network, don't suppose your exchange is one of the ones listed here:

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

When I tried pinging my work-server at 4.50pm one result came back at 4036ms! Yay - A New Hi-Score!
The rest were generally between 110-180ms with the odd 600ms.
On a good morning the ping times start around 25ms - so that's a fair drop-off in response times!

Is that a ping within the VPN or just a normal ping? Ping is classed as titanium so shouldn't be affected by any gold drops (obviously a ping inside the VPN will be gold as it doesn't see any difference in the traffic).

Here a tracert/mtr would be of better use as it will show where the increase in ping time is happening.
Community Veteran

don't suppose your exchange is one of the ones ....
Is there a tool available anywhere which allows you to input your area code and returns MSOs affecting that code?
My local exchange for instance has been affected by outages on muxes and exchanges in London, Brighton and Bristol in the past, and the only way I can see of checking is to look at all the MSOs in the south of England.
(The exchange checker http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges is helpful but is only up to date the day it is posted and only lists problems local to the exchange as far as I can tell)

paul
Community Veteran

No afraid not. on Blackburn, which is currently Green.

The major issue was not speed, but the general laggyness of browsing, and HTTP traffic in general. I was doing nothing more than browsing last night. It did get progressively better but still not at the levels it has been at recently.
Community Veteran

I had issues all night as I posted in another thread, my area code was affected by http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php?id=2661, however BT claim the fault was resolved at 18:20 my problems were ongoing at 22:00 when I gave up ...

This morning bbmax shows normal speeds, i.e. 2.5Mb compared to the <1MB I had last night.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

The new BT Speedtest measures the speed across both our network and BT's network ...

Is this how it has aways been with the new speedtester?

Previous guidance always stated it was independant, in fact PN tell us to use this to help identify congestion problems caused at the exchange.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
James
Grafter

Yup, and that was my fault.

It transpires that the BT Speedtester is currently only able to calculating the speed across our network.

Future releases are expected to allow testing exchange side speeds.
Community Veteran

Does this mean that if we are experiencing issues we dont need to do the BT speedtest, as its not cutting Plus out of the loop. Reason I ask is, its a complete mare to get on, particulrlary when you want to see if its contention which is at peak times.

Can you clarify please James. Also were there any issues last night with the network?
James
Grafter

None that I'm aware of.
Community Veteran

It transpires that the BT Speedtester is currently only able to calculating the speed across our network.

So, riddle me this ...

What makes it so that when my BRAS setting is 2.5Mb and PN have me on 1Mb, that a speedtest result will give me 2.5Mb but bbmax gives 1Mb?

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC