cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know what the deal is with Self Install 100 now?

N/A

Hi,

I've been with PN since 2002/3 on the ADSL Self Install 100 package, which i think is now defunct. Anyway, I've noticed lots of changes and discussion and stuff recently about bandwidth throttling, traffic shaping, and most recently idle disconnects, and I am trying to work out what, if any, of this applies to my account. Its very confusing because the package I am on isn't listed on the website so I don't quite know what I get and what i don't. I think I have some fair use bandwidth limitations, but how about all this other stuff? In particular I am concerned about this idle disconnect business, which seems to defy the point of broadband and basically is the worst idea in the history of Bad Ideas.

Anyway - I suspect at the very least I am paying vastly over the odds for what I get, in light of all the changes since I joined up. I did raise a ticket with PN yesterday but haven't heard back from them, and I've noticed from the forums today that there seems to be a bit of a stink floating around the place...

Also - and maybe its related to the package I'm on - I haven't received any upgrade to my speed, despite the usertools site saying my exchange was upgraded in July and that my phone number should be able to support speeds of up to 1mbps. Although interestingly my download speeds today are up to about 900kbps now - a more cynical person than me might suggest that PN were just waiting for me to moan before giving me the extra bandwidth. Lucky I'm not that cynical.

Anyway if anyone has any idea whats going on I'd be really grateful, I'm totally confused.

James
6 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Been looking through the old legacy products and am not 100% sure what product you are on.

Is it the old 1mb product and if so how much are you paying?

Click on Account details on the left for full product description.
Community Veteran

Plusnet now have three products:

PAYG @ £14.99 - You pay for what you use starting from 1GB at 14.99
Slightly slowed on p2p

Plus @14.99 - Fixed cost web surfing and e-mail given priority p2p and binary usenet slowed lots Dynamic IP 30 min idle timeout

Premier @ 21.99 - Fixed cost p2p slightly slowed.

All products will give the fastest your line can support up to 2mb when BT upgrade you.
N/A

Hi

Yes, sorry my mistake i meant ADSL Home Self Install (Don't know where that 100 came from! Maybe thats what speed i'd like!?)
I am paying the same as the cost for the current broadband premier package - does that basically mean I am on that package? What I am trying to establish is whether or not my account is going to be seriously affected by all these new restrictions, particularly idle disconnect. I'll be very irritated if it is, especially seeing as I am paying for what is now a comparatively expensive product.

James
N/A

Ah. OK.

In summary, the current equivalent product is Premier up to 2mb @£21.99.

Your product will not be affected by the idle timeouts.

Traffic shaping/management will apply but you should only see reductions in p2p traffic to the tune of 5-10%.

If your line supports it, and when BT get round to it, your line will be upgraded to the fastest speed it will support.
Community Veteran

I think you mean ADSL home 1000 Self Install.

While your account is no longer sold, it is treated the same as broadband premier which means idle disconnect does not apply and traffic shaping is much less than on broadband Plus.

I'm guessing you are still paying £29.99/month. If so, ring support and ask for the free change to broadband premier upto 2Mb @ £21.99 because that is what you should be paying for your connection.

PlusNet decided not to inform all customers about the new products and price reductions via email (they did post here and in service status) so it's up to the individual to find out if they are on the best product or not - or sign up for service status by email on the usertools site.

The free speed upgrades (which will apply to your account) are being done by BT and is taking a lot longer than originally planned. BT hope to complete the upgrades around Sept/Oct time so you should see the upgrade occur soon.

The speed upgrade is dependant on your line supporting a faster speed which not all lines can. It's possible you have already been done and your line can't handle anything faster (which you appear to suggest anyway). Remember the speed upgrades are to the fastest your line will take (to a max of 2Mbs) and not a guarantee to get 2Mbs speeds.
N/A

Hi

Thanks to everyone who's posted, thats set my mind at rest a bit. Interestingly, I've just done a speed check and I'm now up to 968.7kbps, which is twice what it was yesterday. I'm sure its just coincidence that I raised the issue with PN yesterday as well Wink

Anyway, I'm happy enough now.

Thanks,

James