cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know details of the SUP policy for bb + users?

N/A

I basically want to know the caps... I'm aware enough of the throttling, etc. ~ that's easy enough to see in action, but it just occured to me that I may be exceeding the caps.

I can't find the info for what the bandwidth caps for bb+ users are, though? Sad

I basically want to know what the monthly peak cap is, and what the monthly off peak cap is.

I may just be missing something, but if i'm not, could somebody who has exceeded the limits let me know what their monthly usage is / was?

Cheers, Hoodi.

Edit : Whoops! totally the wrong forum. Sorry about that :/
16 REPLIES
sladkart
Grafter

Why is this the wrong forumHuh :?

As far as I understand it there is no cap, SUP, FUP or any other sort of restriction on what you do on BB+.

What there is, however, is traffic shaping on P2P and Usenet (and probably other things we don't know about). This means the network cannot be saturated by downloads as this type of traffic will be slowed down at peak times so as not to affect other users.

So, carry on with whatever you are doing. If you're happy with the slower speeds then you're sorted Cheesy
N/A

Duh. I'm browsing all funny.

I thought i'd put this in the PlusTalk forum :roll:

No SUP? That's great! Sure, P2P speeds are more than a bit naff, but everything else seems fine to me...

Does this mean I can download all those big game demo's etc. on peak without fear of being throttled? Tongue
sladkart
Grafter

Does this mean I can download all those big game demo's etc. on peak without fear of being throttled? Tongue

Your connection can be throttled via the traffic shaping but not as extreme as the "punishment" imposed on current heavy premier downloaders. As far as I know you can download as much as you like at any time on BB+. Plusnet have the option to slow down certain protocols on your connection during times where it may impact other users.
N/A

Fair enough :>

I've not noticed any slowdown, even on-peak, for HTTP downloads... But then again, i've been trying to avoid getting big ones Shockedops:
N/A

Hi,

just thought I'd but in here.

The issue of BB+ and SUP needs clarification from Plus net.

Whilst the currently defined SUP does not mention BB+, at least 1 user was put on a managed profile following the last round of warning emails.

I did ask the Comms team for clarification and hope that this will appear soon.

As such, I personally would be wary of thinking that you can "download as much as you want", because all accounts, whether mentioned in the SUP guidlines or not are still subject to the T&C's and sustainable useage.

Forewarned is forearmed.
N/A

Hummmmzz. Thought it sounded too good to be true :/
Wish they'd just clarify things Shocked

Any ideas how much the bb+ who was throttled had downloaded?

Cheers.
sladkart
Grafter

I thought the whole point of the BB+ traffic management was so that Plusnet didn't need to implement a SUP. It was sustainable because Plusnet were in control of bandwidth usage and not the user.

I agree - some clarification would be nice :?
N/A

Any ideas how much the bb+ who was throttled had downloaded?

No. I dont remember seing any figures posted. Sorry.
sladkart
Grafter

Where could I have got the idea that you could download as much as you want on BB+ ? Oh yes - Plusnet's own FAQ! :lol:

http://portal.plus.net/support/adsl/info/broadband_plus_faq.shtml

Under the Data Transfer section it says "The costs for data usage are built into the subscription so that with Broadband Plus you pay the same amount of money each month, regardless of your level of usage."

Plusnet - please clarify as there seems to be some confusion on this one. :?

If I count to ten then they will probably have come up with another new policy. Wink
Alecto
Grafter

It's perfectly simple.
On BB Plus, you can download as much as you want, provided that Plusnet's throttling actually lets you get that much.
That is to say you the user don't have to limit the amount you download, Plusnet will save you the trouble and limit it for you. How kind.
:roll:
sladkart
Grafter

That was my understanding until pcsni posted that at least one BB+ user has been throttled due to over use. Sad

Edit: Maybe I should say that the user's connection was throttled and not the actual user :shock:
Alecto
Grafter

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread. Shockedops:

I'm now as baffled as you are. :?:
N/A

I was that soldier

Hi,
don't know how many other BB+ users were throttled for SUP violation but I certainly was.
Raised a ticket pointing out that SUP is not really supposed to apply to BB+ as it's meant to handle contention, shaping etc all by itself (which is why I went for it, didn't mind lower speeds as long as I didn't have to watch it all the time).
Got confirmation SUP did not apply but still throttled for breaching it ?
Raised second ticket offering to comply with posted limits for BB Premier 2MB.
Offer was accepted, although I'm pretty sure I'm still throttled.
Currently offline at home as I'm about to hit the limits that don't apply to me for this month.
Can reconnect on Saturday, huzzah !
LiamM
Grafter

Duh. I'm browsing all funny.

I thought i'd put this in the PlusTalk forum :roll:

Actually, you did. I moved it but I forgot to add a comment.

Sorry Shockedops: