Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone help me understand this.Latency.

jagger
Grafter

Guys,

The fault checker just can't handle this and my questions just get bounced around so I'm seeing if anyone can help me get my head round this.

My connection is often perfect whether using a USB modem or a router (SMC 7204 BRA).Then again,every now and then it gets massive packet loss meaning the connection is just about useless even for browsing.

I've got a couple of L8NC graphs here.One from yesterday and one from today that illustrate this well.Today I've had to reboot the router three times to get a clean,packet full connection on thn-ag1.Before that I was on ptn-ag2 and pte-ag1 then ptn-ag2 again and dropping packets left,right and centre.

Yesterday's almost perfect connection.

Today's rubbish with massive packet loss until gateway change.

So if this is something to do with my house wiring or telephone exchange how come a gateway change gives me a packet loss free connection.Is this on the Plusnet network or should I be looking at something that I can control, such as hardware?

During these periods I record packet loss to the portal on ping plotter.

Where do I go from here?

Router stats: http://www.jagger.plus.com/latency/routerstats.JPG

current public L8NC chart is Here.
7 REPLIES
jagger
Grafter

Just got connected to pte-ag2 although I wasn't around to see if the router lost sync.

Anyone got any ideas?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

How long has this been happening for? It's tough to say what the cause may be, I think with it happening on more than one gateway that it could be some kind of interference or something exchange side especially if it happens at random times and on both the router and USB modem.

Does the router give any figures on errors?
jagger
Grafter

Back on thn-ag1 again after hard restart.

Best part of a couple of years Dave but it's intermittent and unpredictable.It used to be passed off as a problem with my usb modem drivers at best but now there's a router involved and it's doing the same kind of things (packet loss,dropping connection,) I figure it must be something else I need to look at.

Running the fault finder doesn't work as when the problem manifests itself I have no connectivity and when I have connectivity the faults don't show up and my connection is shown as perfect.Those two L8NC charts describe it down to a tee.Yesterday perfect,today a nightmare.I can't tie it in to any particular time/weather conditions/use of computer as the computer is quite often off.Nothing has changed in the house/telephone/internet wiring.

I can't find any error numbers in the router log.It just tells me it dropped or was connected @ a certain time.During these episodes I get packet loss to the portal on ping plotter without fail which made me think it's on the PN network maybe.

It has done my brain in and now I'm looking for help or a new tack to approach the problem.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

We've got a new BT performance test, I'll give it a try and see if it shows anything up.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

And this is what it says:

Prognosis: Prognosis for a period of 14 days from 12-Jul-2007 to 25-Jul-2007. The circuit is in sync throughout the period. The circuit is dropping connection sporadically. However, this is not caused by errors on the line. This behaviour is random and fairly inconsistent over the period. It may be due to modem resets by the EU, a faulty modem, or an intermittent connectivity issue either in the access or the EU premises. Changing profile will not help in this situation.

Not overly helpful I must admit but does perhaps suggest some external interference or possibly wiring or modem as possibilities.
jagger
Grafter

Thanks Dave.

That sounds like my connection.Several of the d/c's will be using a usb modem and switching the computer off overnight.The last week or two has been with the router and I've had to reboot it regularly when the connection drops or the packet loss is too severe for me to use the connection.

I'll see what I can come up with in the way of rewiring the router.I've just upgraded the firmware so I'll see if that does anything.

I'm sure I'll be back.
jagger
Grafter

I'm back.

How does this little lot help me understand my packet loss?

This is pretty common for my connection.