cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone experienced this strange phenomena

katie
Grafter

My son moved away at the end of August to his own house a few miles from mine on a different telephone exchange. I referred him to Plusned and since he was connected to Plusnet, we can never be online at the same time. My connection is lost for hours at a time and whn that happens, he is able to connect to the internet. When he loses his connection, I am able to connect to the internet. While I am online, he is unable to re-connect. At first, we thought this was a bit strange, but now we have noticed that it happens EVERY TIME. When he is connected, I am not and when I am connected he is not and this has happened since he was first connected. Plusnet have been investigating my lost connections and concluded that it is not their fault, BT say there is no fault on the line and 2 new modem/routers did not cure the problem for me - my connection can be lost for 24 hours or more. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just going crazy and clutching at straws because no-one can find a fault with a line which has given me 3 years of previously no - problem connections.

Karen Redhead
9 REPLIES
N/A

sounds suitably wierd.

Have you checked that you are not using the same username &password for both lines?
N/A

Your both using a different Username?

<oops! typing too slow...>
katie
Grafter

No - we're using different username & passwords. I also think it's stupid but I'm willing to explore all avenues to get my connection again.

Katie
N/A

Neither router has an IP address hard coded into it perchance?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

When you are talking about lost connections and unable to connect, do you know what exactly is disconnected? ie. do you loose sync, does PPP go down, is it just that you can't get up any websites, send emails etc...?

Do you know what your sons and your IP addresses are? Are they the same?

Phil
katie
Grafter

James - I'll check into the IP address idea as the modem he's using was used at my house originally and could be holding old info. Never thought of that.
Phil - I'm still not sure what losing sync means but to all intents and purposes it looks as though it should be online. All the lights are on on the modems (I'm using a Netgear DG834PN and a Belkin - brand new), but it just won't connect to the internet i.e websites & emails. I can connect to the routers using 192.168.0.1 but then when I press 'test' to see if there is an internet connection, it just won't connect. When it does connect, it just works immediately when I press on IE or Mozilla. Thanks for trying to help guys. I am just connecting every few hours on my dial-up to check on this post. I cannot tie up my telephone line as my 84 year-old Dad isn't too good at the moment and he rings me to go round his house when he's feeeling poorly.

Katie
N/A

To clarify the reason for my question - I was thinking that perhaps if your Son's router/modem has your IP hard coded into it, it may well be that its taking your IP, preventing you from connecting until he disconnects. (or forcing him to disconnect when you do and vice-versa)

Worth a quick look when he gets chance I guess.
katie
Grafter

You clever people. I just rang my son to find out what username and password his modem was using and it was mine - no wonder we could only get online when the other person was disconnected. Problem solved. It seems that he used his own username and password initially, but when he reset the modem, it reverted back to my user/pass. Who would have believed it - I have been going crazy trying to sort this out, blaming Pusnet and BT for the frequent disconnections. It has cost me over £100 for another new modem, splitters etc. but hey - I'm sorted & that's the main thing. I have never been on these forems before, because I have never had a problem but I will try and look in more often now and perhaps, be able to help others the way you've helped me.
May I also say that Plusnet have been very helpful in trying to sort this out for me, ringing me and advising me on what to try next.

Katie Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
N/A

Glad its sorted!
Some modems require saving the settings via a "system Commands" page or similar.
It may be worth having a dig about while its fresh in both of your memory's and after saving his details, re-booting his kit so he can check that it has remembered his details.

Its well worth popping in here once in a while - there's been all sorts of useful things popped up that I would have never known or guessed about had I not been a regular visitor to these boards.

There's lots of clever peeps about around here (and a coupla smart alecs too Wink )