cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else seeing large amounts of unusual data.

N/A

Hi,

in 2 separate incidents this month over 4.7GB of data (in total) has appeared in my VMU that I cannot explain (I have never used 2GB in an entire month before). It does appear the that router has seen the data but nothing was connected to the ethernet port to generate it, my router does not support logging so I am a bit stuck.

It appears to be a lot of data aimed at my IP by something.

Anybody else seeing this or is it just me. If lots of people are having this issue then maybe its a bigger problem but if not then it must be related to my connection somehow.

Unfortunately plus net have told me its my responsibilty to prove I am not generating it and this is a real pain.

If I migrate to Nildram I can have a dynamic IP address again (hurray) but plusnet won't let me move to dynamic IP (boo).
19 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

This wont be a large problem, if you have a virus/trojan that is causing traffic to be direct at your IP then it will simply be directed at you, have you tried stinger?

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

Either that or someone is specifically targetting you.

Regards,

Rich
N/A

Bit confused

"Stinger is a stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses."

This is occurring when the broadband router is connected and nothing is connected LAN side. So there is no PC on the lan side to cause the traffic.

This was explained in the original post. Am I missing something?
N/A

Hi there,

I did miss that line in your post, for that I apologise. Have you tried an alternate router/a factory reset?

This is certainly not a network wide issue, your router will still be assigned your IP address even with nothign connected so it will still be traffic amied at your IP, ideally you need a router with logs. This will allow us (or the ISP for the originating systems IP to investigate, it's more than likely simply someone with a virus or similar.

Without logs i'm not sure what we can usefully do.

Regards,

Rich
N/A

Unfortunately I agree.

I am seeing if running smoothwall 2.0 an a linux PC will give me anything.

If this doesn't help, as you have a policy of not changing IP addresses (due to the rDNS issue) or putting people back on dynamic IP (is this due to VMU ?), it appears that the only thing you can do is give me my MAC code.

I do not see why I should spend £60+ for a router with logging I have done nothing wrong. I have asked could you loan me one to investigate this but apparently this is also out of the question.

I guess that its a case of why bother if it only affects 1 person.
N/A

Hi there,

The simple reason for not changing your IP is that it will be assgned to someone else, all we would be doing is shift the problem from you to someone else. Not ideal.

We aren't in a position to lend anyone a router, this could potentially cause all sorts of issues. We are not trying to say you have done nothing wrong but how many times will you need to have this problem (with us otr with another ISP) before you take action.

Why not try borrowing a router from someone else?

Regards,

Rich
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

At the moment dynamic IP's aren't available on our ADSL accounts, although they should be here shortly.

An IP address can be changed under certain circumstances however we would need to know why, because if you are getting DoS'd we wouldn't want to pass the IP address on to another customer, plus it might not resolve the problem as again if you were being DoS'd the people behind it would easily be able to find you again.
the_norris
Grafter

Hi

A possiable idea to try - install a software firewall on your PC (that supports logging) Then set your router to Forward ALL traffic to this PC. So you PC will see all the internet traffic send to your internet IP.

May help.

Phil
N/A

Hopefully smoothwall will do this for me.
holdtight
Grafter

Smoothwall will do that for you but i would suggest a software firewall
just to get at the log stats as setting up smoothwall just to do this is a bit long winded

Sygate free firewall is very good at logging everything and will give you all the stats you need
N/A

At the moment dynamic IP's aren't available on our ADSL accounts, although they should be here shortly.
Whoa!

Please tell me that this does not mean that those of us that appreciate the static IP will be forced to give it up and go onto wretched IP dynamic IP addresses where the whole of the ISP domain is bannded from networks because a few idiots can't control themselves and behave in civilised manner when they get in front of their keyboard.

I'm not gonna get panicky (yet) because I was told at sign-up that a static IP will always be available to me but I do want reassurance that Plus aren't changing their policy on this....

Please don't ever take my static IP off me.
the_norris
Grafter

I don't thin there will removing static IPs - it need for people to use SMTP delivery for mail.

Bit harder ith dymamic IPs

Phil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

No. No-one will lose their static IP unless they decide to move to Broadband Plus. We are introducing dynamic IP's, in part for Broadband Plus, and in part because it is something that a lot of people have asked for.
N/A

So what will broadband plus cost me?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

The price details for Broadband Plus are

512Kb £14.99 (Inc Vat)
1Mb £19.99 (Inc Vat)
2Mb £24.99 (Inc Vat)
Up to 8Mb TBC

You can see a bit more at.

http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1110917187.htm