cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having ftp problems????

N/A

Since the disconnection plague the FTP service has gone awry.

This what I do. I upload data to my website every five minutes so any problem will soon become obivious. Anyone who doesn't do this probably won't notice.

Anyway on Thursday ftp2.plus.net choked and died giving out silly messages and timeouts. Some of these matched the disconnections others didn't.

I changed to ftp.plus.net as thats the offical one and it seemed better however due to disconnections you couldn't really tell.

Yesterday I had no disconnections during the day but ftp.plus.net hung several times during upload in a manner that resemebled the same problem Plusnet had about a year ago.

I switched back too ftp2.plus.net as the constant hanging mean't it was fairly useless. ftp2.plus.net hasn't hung but has suffered from very varied upload speeds from 2 minutes to 12+ for the same set of files which come in under 1meg.

I feel this also releated to the drop connections as well as it all started at the same time.
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

I haven't noticed anyone else reporting problems with FTP, but if your connection is disconnecting during an upload I guess that this could cause the problems you are seeing.

One other thing could be that there is a limit of 4 simultaneous connections to the ftp server, if the uploads are overlapping or not closing could you be hitting the 4 connections?
N/A

Today the theres been no disconnection apart from one a short while ago. The upload speed has been awful though it's just now taken 9 minutes. Sort of speed a Modem would be proud off.

I've just altered it too every ten minutes. It looks like this weekend I'm going to have to move back to my University web space for the data.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per forum rules.
N/A

Edit correction the disconnections are back big style again since eight O'clock.
N/A

Well the disconnections have gone but since the 3rd Nov the FTP service has got problems.
ftp.plus.net is unusable as it ever was while at least ftp2.plus.net works however the conmnection gets slower and slower overtime.
I've got a ticket open for this and the next test is uploading data to my University account so on Sunday afternoon I've got to change all the links. Evil
It's strange this problem started the same time Netgear disconnections started.
N/A

I've been having problems too time outs drop out etc. it took me 5 minutes to up a 2k file this evening.
I raised a ticket on it earlier this week and of course they said they could not find anything wrong !

There also seems to be a problem with the webservers
my site erratically comes up with page not found errors but on a few tries the page appears - overloading maybe, any one else got this ?

Rod
N/A

Strange. For the first time in years I was able to download my complete phpBB site with no hanging, stuttering or any other problems.

I posted on the website forum to congratulate the techs at fixing the problem. I hope I wasn't being premature!

I'm on Humbug by the way.
Ben_Brown
Grafter

I just downloaded a 2MB file from one of my accounts and then uploaded it to another account with ftp.plus.net for both of them without any problems. This was also from my home 2MB connection, which is pretty much the same as the connections you are all using.

From the description of the problem I think ftp may be a red herring as it sounds like your connection is dropping. You may want to try out the new broadband fault checker in the "Connection settings" section of the portal.
N/A

Nope connection isn't dropping as it would show in the logs. Since nine last night it's been fine again. The fault checker said fine as well.

Connection to the ftp server was slow on another machine as well.

To spot the fault you'll have to do it over and over again. It's something at your end and it's strange it started at the same time as the disconnections.

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per forum rules.
N/A

Well too hangs sinc ethe last post. One for one hour and shorted one today which lasted around half n hour.

I'm now using my university space as the data storage area and see what happens. Certainly uploads a lot quicker.