cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else having connection problems

badwolf
Grafter

I'm not getting any connection for days then suddenly its back.

I've got a wireless connection. My wireless card connects to the router fine, but no internet.

am I the only one?

Cheers
L
10 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi Badwolf,

I've raised this interally, and someone should pick up on the problems you have highlighted shortly.
badwolf
Grafter

its fine at the moment

but then again it was fine last weekend, and I didn't have access tuesday-friday last week!
badwolf
Grafter

No Internet AGAIN last night

what is the problem where I can have access, over the weekend but not during the week.

What exactly am I paying for here?
badwolf
Grafter

No internet AGAIN

done some troubleshooting myself it seems to be a DNS problem
N/A

No internet AGAIN

done some troubleshooting myself it seems to be a DNS problem

Have you completed http://faults.f9.net.uk
badwolf
Grafter

half way through, but not worked out what my router is, and I'm recluctant to turn off my firewall after nearly being hit with a number of trojans before i installed it
badwolf
Grafter

What are my chances of talking to an actual human being about this if I ring up (i don't actually mind hanging on as long as it will get answered)

I know Plusnet looks down on people who only do a 9-530 day (I've been to one of their corporate brainwashing sessions - sorry I mean interviews) so I know that most of the staff there work long hours!
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

If the problem seems to be DNS related have you tried specifying our DNS server addresses in your PC's network settings?

The DNS servers are

Some routers don't seem to work as well as they should at forwarding DNS requests so it's often a good idea to take it out of equation, even just as a test, to see if it makes any difference.
carpangler
Grafter

I would also try pinging those ip addresses (external DNS) from a command prompt to see if you get a reply. If you do, and still can't access web sites using a browser, then it does suggest a dns problem. If the DNS settings are in the router I would then override these on the PC and use it this way. I would agree with Dave in that some routers (especially 'home' ones) aten't good at DNS and I'd always use the DNS from the PC direct to an external one.

If you can't ping direct to an external IP address (eg F9 DNS server) then the problem isn't a DNS one and is either a router issue or a connection issue.

Also, I presume the IP address on the PC is hard coded and not using DHCP from the router. I've seen a mate having spurious connection issues and that was down to using DHCP abd the router configured incorrect which resulted in it connecting about 50% off the time, failing for the rest. If you don't get a connection try ipconfig from a command prompt and see if the IP address looks correct for your subnet.

Hope this helps.
badwolf
Grafter

thanks for the above tips, I'll try them out tonight.

unfortunatly its going to mean that I wont be able to add any further comment to this until monday now!