cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else getting rogue usage?

Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Over the last 2 days the PN usage tool has reported an excess of 3GB off peak usage. Today it's reporting 3.68GB use (off peak thank god) despite both my computer and router being switched off.

Is anyone else experiencing this? It's a bit worrying and I don't know if it's just PN's measuring tools or if somehow my BB+ account has been hijacked.

I've raised a question and I am currently awaiting an answer but wondered if anyone else is getting this?
28 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Are you using a wireless router?

Chilly
Liam
Grafter

Hi there,

I have passed your tickets through to Networks to look at what is happening here.

Thanks.
fezzy2001uk
Grafter

read crazy usage post ...it might help you others have had same problem pn sorted it out with no problem
fezzy
N/A

I have always wondered about usage, when I was paying for unlimited it did not matter but since switching to PAYG a few years ago it has go tworse and worse.

When I was on unlimited my usage was under 1gb, when I switched to PAYG it went up to 1.1gb so I had to pay extra.

No matter what I did to cut down the traffic it always managed to go over 1.1gb.

I had some crazy usage figures suggesting 3gb in one day, I raised tickets and was told that they had no logs and it was down to ME to PROVE that I had not used it. This is a bit hard to do AFTER the event.

Then they doubled the allowance to 2gb and strangely my usage doubled. The only advice I could get was to prepay.

I cut back things like certain email collection to the free period but it made no difference.

I think my VPN usage is over registering my usage, I only use a terminal services client (30k) over the VPN.

My next thing is to try the Plusnet firewall (IF I can get it to work with the VPN) as I have been told that I have to pay for anyone who pokes their nose at my IP address.

I am also going to invest in one of those power devices that turns off the router when the PC is in sleep mode.

Plusnet are a lot more helpful now (since BT takeover) so you might want to see if they have any other ideas.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Might be a good idea to get install a usage meter like DuMeter to count your usage then compare it against the VMBU data. I wouldn't expect an exact match (DuMeter won't count the background traffic for example and remember that we count 1GB = 1000MB, 1MB = 1000KB and 1KB = 1000 bytes) but it shouldn't be far off.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Thanks for the responses guys.

My router is wireless but I do use a WEP Key, Mac filter all my devices and have the router not broadcast the SSID.

But today, neither the router or my Mac have been switched on at all (except for me to do this reply right now) so I don't really see how my account can have been used when the router has been off all day. Any ideas?

So far, the response has been quick but hasn't really explained where the transfer has come from...

----

Username bertrude

We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
Centre has now escalated your Question [number 21576794 ]
for further investigation.

The following comment was added to the Question
Dear Mr xxxx,
(internal)
Internal RADIUS shows customer not connected today but VMBU data shows over 3Gb of data transfer. Can we investigate this please?

Regards,
xxxxxxx

----

Upon escalation I've received this which would make sense if the router was on, but since it wasn't, is a little puzzling...

Dear Mr xxxxxx,
I have checked and verified on day by day basis, the usage for both of these days is correct and is from your account. There is a possiblity that someone else has access to your network via wireless or wired and it being used without your knowledge. Please change your SSID, passwords for router and portal passwords and monitor your usage again. Please change all passwords after changing SSID and WEP Key. Reboot the router and then make changes to other passwords. I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
xxxxxxx

Can anyone exlpain if this is possible with my equipment being off all day.

My thanks in advance.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

I think something's been missed, I've passed it back to the network guys to check again.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Thank you Dave. I look forward to the response.

In the meantime I will turn my router off and it will remain off until tomorrow evening.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Should make it easier to spot that way so should be easy to correct.
N/A

I know it's not really on topic but if someone wanted to sufficiently badly, neither WEP, hidden SSID or MAC filtering will prevent them from using your wireless. Long random WPA keys (such as those generated here) are the only way to protect your network with any confidence.

Of course, in an ideal world, we'd all be running our own WPA radius servers can could monitor connections and usage by user.

I don't imagine that it'll be long before another of the regulars says that the only way to really prevent unauthorised wireless access is to switch it off.

Anyway, just something you might want to be aware of, good luck getting your problem sorted.
suec45
Grafter

MY usage is much higher last month than any previous month.

Not sure if thats a problem or I just used more...

It looks very out of place tho.
Community Veteran

The only way to really prevent unauthorised wireless access is to switch it off.

Wink
Chilly
N/A

I don't think the VMBU tracker is that accurate. Every month I keep getting gaming and streaming come up on my account - although I don't have any games installed (not even Solitaire) and I don't stream anything. I use WPA encyptions, IP addresses are locked to only the PCs in the house, no DHCP, firewall on etc, but every month I'm getting spurious data supposedly going through my account.

So far, in 12 days this month, apparently I've used 1.4GB of gaming and 486MB of streaming - makes me wonder how accurate web and P2P are - which I know I have been using but have no way of verifying the VMBU figures.
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

OK. My router has been switched off and permanently disconnected from the phone line since my last post from yesterday night.It currently resides under the bed.

Having checked my usage this morning (at work), it's reporting 2.65GB worth of usage!

I hope someone at PN can sort this out as it's a little disconcerting and it could be possible that it's affecting lots of other customers too without their knowledge, especially if they don't keep track of their usage.