cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else experiencing poor gaming pings today?

N/A

Anyone else experiencing poor gaming pings today? I usually get a ping of about 20-25 on the games and servers I usually play.

But today its like 80+, and its been like that all day long!

Even pinging websites in Command promt, is returning poor results :? :?:
28 REPLIES
N/A

Yes, yes, yes! I'm suffering exactly the same issue.

I am used to the same sort of ping (20-40 at most) but recently I'm up to 120+ plus my p2p speeds are more dial-up than 2mb.

I've looked through these forums and I know that if I raise an issue with an admin I'll get the same response as everybody else.

I'm on Premier and to start with (summer-time) I was really impressed with the speeds. On ADSLguide, BT etc I was getting circa 1900kbps and was happily DLing and gaming. For the last week or so it's like I'm back in the 90's again, cranking up a modem and getting around 1000kbps.

I have Dled a fair amount since I signed up BUT this is an unmetered account so I can't see that could have an effect. I've tried all of the same solutions as you but have run out of ideas.

If only they weren't so darn cheap... Wink
N/A

Jolt pings at 20msec for me.
N/A

My gaming pings are fine Call of Duty or Dawn of War has no probs. The same can be said for downloads, all are at 50-70kb (and im on a 512 service (still waiting on upgrade)). P2p services are all fine to, running as fast as possible.

BUT I have been getting lag with an mmo I play (EVE Online) and others ingame dont notice any. Doubt its anything really, just a bad day you had.
StuWard
Grafter

My gaming pings are fine Call of Duty or Dawn of War has no probs. The same can be said for downloads, all are at 50-70kb (and im on a 512 service (still waiting on upgrade)). P2p services are all fine to, running as fast as possible.

BUT I have been getting lag with an mmo I play (EVE Online) and others ingame dont notice any. Doubt its anything really, just a bad day you had.

Hey Karl, a fellow Eve'er, whats your character name ?
N/A

Ok pings have dropped a bit from yesterday, but Im getting pings of about 40-60.
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping www.plus.net

Pinging portal.plus.net [212.159.8.137] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=48ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=45ms TTL=249
Reply from 212.159.8.137: bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=249

Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 48ms, Average = 43ms

I think thats too high, it should be around 18-25ms. What does everyone else get? I thought Plusnet doing all the speed restrictions on p2p etc was supposed to make things better?
N/A

Min: 17ms, Max: 209ms (!) Avg: 76ms. I can barely play on UK servers with that.

2meg broadband...hrm...
N/A

If you see my other post, Ive asked directly if the traffic shaping is affecting the gaming. There saying no.

However now I see Im not the only one, im going back to my thread to point this out. For me its +40ms and apparently at peak times im slightly warping.
N/A

I'm appalled with my connection over the past few days, I'm constantly warping, I always have the highest ping on the servers now! It was not like this last week, what is going on?

I have "1mb Broadband Premier". Its not very "Premier" at the moment!
N/A

Hm, sorry to say this but I'm getting around 24ms to portal.plus.net - about usual for my link.

Have either of you checked the status of your exchange to see if your suffering congestion related problems?
N/A

Here are a couple of speed test I have just done:-

ZDNet |UK| Speed Test:
723.3 Kbps - 88.6 K bytes/sec
674.7 Kbps - 82.7 K bytes/sec
623.3 Kbps - 76.4 K bytes/sec
723.3 Kbps - 88.6 K bytes/sec
784.2 Kbps - 96.1 K bytes/sec

PlusNet Speed Test:
858.70kbps - 107.34 KB/sec
626.30kbps - 78.29 KB/sec
734.00kbps - 91.75 KB/sec
764.30kbps - 95.54 KB/sec
550.40kbps - 68.80 KB/sec
630.40kbps - 78.80 KB/sec

Zen ADSL - Broadband Speed Test:
764 Kbps
517 Kbps
533 Kbps
868 Kbps
517 Kbps

I know that my connection should be around the 920 kbps mark, which it was, when I got this connection about 2 months ago. I would constantly get just over 120k/s on any speed test.Now I seem to be closer to 512k rather then 1mb Sad

512Kbps ~ 460 Kbps
1Mbps ~ 920 Kbps
2Mbps ~ 1840 Kbps

Exchange Status Checker:
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green
Port capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Amber

What should I do now? I want Plusnet to sort this out as soon as they can. What is the best way to go about getting this problem fixed?
N/A

Firstly try the BT Speedtester to see if the problem is on BT's side or PN's side.

Though you may want to go through the usual checking the filters, trying another modem/router etc before contacting PN if the BT results are also low as BT will only look at your line once you've done some basic fault finding first.
N/A

Slow BT test as well.

My BT speedtest came in at 216 kilo bits per second (Kbps).

I'm on 2Mbps Premier.

I also had problems over the last two days with my connection dropping and not reconnecting.
N/A

OK Just done a BT Speed test as suggested, and I get:
913 kilo bits per second (Kbps).

I could'nt do it more then once, as is says I have to wait 30 mins each time. But that seems to me that its a problem at Plusnet's end.
N/A

Same for me on 2MB - getting around 960kbps.

But pings were up at 25ms at the weekend on UK Counterstrike servers.