cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any reason why Bittorrent should be at 0Kb this morning?

suec45
Grafter

Hi there, I usually schedule all my downloads for off peak times, my peak time usage is very small, like 3-5gb a month.

However this morning I am trying to download a few torrents and they wont move over 1k, usually staying at 0k, however it connects to many users, just no speed at all. Tried many different usually good torrents.

Are PN experiencing problems?

I usually get great speeds and pings from PlusNet, 200k on torrents off peak. And downloads at the same speed.

Just wondering if htere is any reason? I am not throttled for my usage, and peak is 4pn-12am right?
210 REPLIES
Alecto
Grafter

Torrents going fine here, so it's not a general problem I don't think.
Have you got encryption enabled? That helps stop them slowing it down somewhat if you have.
suec45
Grafter

No mate, just Azereus, default everything, its usally great.

Just tried downloading from an ftp which is usually 200k and its sticking around 70k, so maybe a problem at our exchange.
No worries, its not urgent at all, I just wondered if there was anything wrong, as I usually get amazing speeds.

Thanks for your reply GP Smiley
Alecto
Grafter

May well be local then.

But in any case I'd enable encryption in Azureus. It does seem to stop them identifying quite a lot of the traffic as P2P, so should help your speeds generally.
canford
Grafter

.. experienced a big drop off in speed at about 0900 this morning. A well seeded swarm is now producing figures similar to those mentioned earlier.
suec45
Grafter

Thanks for the tip, but I never have any trouble with speeds normally, its usually as fast as the torrent will go up to my line speed which is 220k.

I just use peak time for gaming and browsing and leave any downloads overnight or through the morning so that its off peak. Works well for me Smiley
suec45
Grafter

.. experienced a big drop off in speed at about 0900 this morning. A well seeded swarm is now producing figures similar to those mentioned earlier.

Do you mean the 1k figures Canford? Or are yours back to normal now?

To test torrents I usually use www.mrtwig.net as they always have lots of seeders and you can download very fast, right now I am getting 0-1Kps from there. Usually anything from 150k to 200k.
canford
Grafter

At the moment it's between 2 KB/s and 10 KB/s. Before 0900 the torrent was running at 180 KB/s. It' well seeded and the tracker seems OK.
N/A

Does it with me aswell, i simply put it down to PN port throttling ya. They do it on purpose just to annoy the hell out of you all.
canford
Grafter

... yep, file downloads run at 150 KB/s from Microsoft so it's not a contention issue.
suec45
Grafter

At the moment it's between 2 KB/s and 10 KB/s. Before 0900 the torrent was running at 180 KB/s. It' well seeded and the tracker seems OK.

Exactly the same for me.

AHh well Sad
donj53
Grafter

Been like this for weeks now.Even off-peak is dire.
Just put encription on and its gone through the roof from 1k to 170k just like that.
tumnus
Grafter

Probably because of everyone turning on encryption in their BitTorrent clients and flooding the network with 'Other' traffic :roll:

The amount of 'Other' traffic seems to be increasing:
Broadband Bandwidth Usage
Not too long ago that pink band was only a thin stripe.

It's a vicious cycle too as there are more and more other BitTorrent users enabling encryption and in many cases only accepting encrypted connections due to excessive bandwidth shaping. So without encryption enabled there are fewer people to connect to, which also means slower speeds.
N/A

Exactly the same for me.

AHh well Sad

And for me too - I'm getting really sick and tired of this pathetic isp - it's just one thing after another.
N/A

Yep and same for me .......useless