cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any procedure to switch to BT Total Broadband?

N/A

I'm considering moving to BT Total Broadband (primarily to take up their BT Vision product but also because I believe I will get better bandwidth (i.e. less trafic management) during peak hours)

Is there any special procedure for switching to BT given that plus.net is now a subsiduary of BT?

-

Alternatively is there any ETA for plus.net introducing BT Vision and/or overhauling their traffic management so that it's less punitive for those using purportedly antisocial services like bittorrent & newsgroups.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES
James
Grafter

Hi there,

A few things to consider:

- We'll be doing Vision later this year as per our Vision for 2007.
- BT do traffic management on torrents and usenet now. Various forums seem to be suggesting that this is at roughly 100Kbps at peak time (bits not bytes).
- We don't prioritise bittorrent down to it being "antisocial" but because it isn't interaqctive traffic, ie: it being slow does not impact it's useability. You can still schedule it for off peak period.

We'll be releasing information about our approach to Traffic Management very shortly.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We don't prioritise bittorrent down to it being "antisocial" but because it isn't interaqctive traffic, ie: it being slow does not impact it's useability. You can still schedule it for off peak period.

Does anyone have any experience of P2P speeds under PAYG? I know binary Usenet which is prioritised similarly stays up around 600KBytes/sec all evening.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

Grab yourself a copy of uTorrent and give it a go Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

- BT do traffic management on torrents and usenet now. Various forums seem to be suggesting that this is at roughly 100Kbps at peak time (bits not bytes).
James,
Given that BT don't have Ellacoyas any idea how they would limit P2P - would it only be on ports used.
James
Grafter

James,
Given that BT don't have Ellacoyas any idea how they would limit P2P - would it only be on ports used.

I'm afraid that I'm not sure how they actually manage their network.
Community Veteran

What makes your think BT Retail don't already use Ellacoyas? They do traffic shaping and limit P2P speeds already - linky - and many other ISPs are using Ellocoyas to traffic management their network/users and that number is increasing.

BT also appear to be doing a trial which may be using them - linky - and one of the market leaders in traffic shaping P2P is... Ellacoya Networks

Also remember PN have a lot of experience with the kit which may have been one reason BT retail bought them! - so they could improve their own kit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I just made an assumption as none of the comments about the BT takeover of PlusNet mentioned them having Ellacoyas despite various threads suggesting that one of the reason for purchasing PlusNet was their expertise <cough> in traffic shaping.