Any plans for LLU or ADSL2+ ?

N/A

the answer was no, that element of the thread dealt with Wink
16 REPLIES
N/A

Topic says it all really. Smiley

I live around 350 meters from my exchange and my speeds are always constant at 240kb/s so i'm thinking maybe paying £40/month for 2mbit when my line is capable of much more is just silly.

I really like plusnet and would love for you guys to push my line as much as you can but I read there are other ISPs doing 26mbit trials with LLU and ADSL2+, does plusnet ever plan to provde technology+speeds like that?

For the record, my exchange has only Bulldog LLU and NTL cable enabled at the moment. Easynet (UK Online) has yet to be enabled. (...wonder if I can find an ETA on that...).

Thanks.
Community Veteran

Yep - paying £40 a month for 2mb is a little silly. You could have had it for £22 since April.

Sorry. Cry

In all honesty have you thought of trying Bulldog? I think they have a 1 month contract now.

I am in a similar set of circumstances - my excahnge has Bulldg and Easynet - and by the looks of it I could get more than the 1mb that BT will allow my line to have.

Perhaps the installation of MaxDSL (is that ADSL2+ ??) will help the non LLu providers compete against these silly LLU speeds? Is there any update on the progress of maxDSL?
N/A

MaxDSL (is that ADSL2+ ??)

maxdsl up to 8mbit download, adsl2+ up to 24mbit, i think.

(ADSL2 up to 12Mbit, but it seems we won't be seeing that technology)
N/A

Yep - paying £40 a month for 2mb is a little silly. You could have had it for £22 since April.

Well theres one of the many downsides of being British mate, having a big "rip me off" sign printed on our foreheads. Sad

I'm not sure about Bulldog, ive heard many bad things about them, 10x more even than plusnet. I wouldn't mind trying UK Online but my exchange isnt easynet LLU enabled.

Perhaps the installation of MaxDSL (is that ADSL2+ ??) will help the non LLu providers compete against these silly LLU speeds? Is there any update on the progress of maxDSL?

I'm pretty sure ADSL2+ is up to 26mbit yeh, I read somewhere that a guy on one of the pilot exchanges in London has got 18mbit speeds... lucky! Cool
Community Veteran

I think we may have our wires crossed....

Are you paying 39.99 for your 2mb connection now? You could have had it from PlusNet for £21.99 since April, they just didn't tell you.
N/A

chesterfield,

Yes thats right, I am paying £40 for the "up to 8mbit" fob-off, I've known about it from the beginning but I chose to carry on paying for another month or two, just to see how things progressed.

I've lost a lot of faith in plusnet recently though so I'll probably downgrade very soon.
N/A

i believe you can downgrade from an 8mbit premier product to the 2mbit at no charge. you would be liable to pay an upgrade charge when 8mbit became available, though.

the savings in a single month would exceed the potential future upgrade cost. :shock:
Community Veteran

I thought something was a miss when I read your signature. I can't see the logic behind the decision to carry on paying over the odds myself, but it's your choice.

I have to say that the BB technology seems to be moving fairly rapidly, however it would seem that al we ever hear about is trials or tests, rather than bonafide customers on these new technologies. Until BT give out some timescales on when we can all expect things to move, it would seem that LLU providers is the only way to get more out of your lines abilities at present.
LiamM
Grafter

Can we keep this on topic please? This subject has been discussed to exhaustion and there are other threads where the 'fob-off' can be discussed that would be more applicable.

This thread is about LLU / ADSL 2+, lets keep is that way.

Cheers!
N/A

I thought something was a miss when I read your signature. I can't see the logic behind the decision to carry on paying over the odds myself, but it's your choice.

When I heard about these silly product/pricing changes I had already paid my monthly bill a few days before so it was logical to at least wait a month for any progress before downgrading. (edit: sorry martinfamily Tongue <-- thats the last I'll say on the matter)

Broadband technology in the UK is moving very fast indeed but the chances of people on the smaller exchanges in less populated areas getting these fancy new products are still very slim and rollout for these people will be very slow.

Besides, why do we need all this new copper wire technology anyway when good old fiber cabling does the job perfectly. With copper wires we will always be limited to around 26mbit on ADSL2+ or VDSL and with speeds depending greatly on distance from your exchange, why bother?

In places like Sweden, Hong Kong and Korea, 10mbit fiber is basically their version of our 1-2mbit, very bog standard. For around £30/month in Sweden you can get uncapped 100mbit (although thats only in certain areas, pretty much everyone can get 100mbit capped at 300gb/month).

Its really pathetic when you think about it, places like Korea getting cheap 100mbit while we're paying rip-off prices for capped 2mbit DSL services. Sad
Community Veteran

Im still curious as to whether ADSL2+ or maxDSL will bring with it faster speeds to those of us who dont live next door to our exchange.

It would seem from some LLU providers that it is the SNR that is used to calculate the maximum speed, rather than your attenuation (which would make more sense as long as your equipment was sensitive enough to pick up a signal).

BT however seem to place all the focus on attenuation, which is a little bizzare when considering new housing developments.

For example I live some 2.9km from the exchange and therefore have a high attenuation (56db) however as approximately the first km is brand new high quality wiring (as it is a newish housing development) my SNR can be around 25db at times (when i was on 512kb it was closer to 32db).

Therefore unless BT start to base more importance on the SNR rather than the attenuation LLU seems the way forward for us out of towners! :lol:
N/A

Im still curious as to whether ADSL2+ or maxDSL will bring with it faster speeds to those of us who dont live next door to our exchange.

http://www.internode.on.net/images/copyright/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg
this will give you some idea of the answer to your question.

as you can see there are diminishing returns as you get farther from the exchange.

you are approaching the convergence.
Community Veteran

It seems a little on the ambitious side though - according to that my 3km line would be capable of apprx 6mb. I suppose that is "ideal" conditions though.

I suppose this is the price we will pay in Britain for having one of the worlds first telephone grids. All the cables are now old and decrepit, which is ultimatley the deciding factor in our speeds. I would imagine if the infrastructure wereput in place today, the cables used would allow almost everyone to obtain 24mb+

It would certainly apper though that LLU providers methods of providing you the highest speed seem to be the most in touch with todays technology - however BT being the giant, and until LLU really kicks in, the supplier ultimately responsible for ALL ADSL connections, they will always have to build in very conservative limits.
N/A

http://www.internode.on.net/images/copyright/internode-adsl2-distance.jpg
this will give you some idea of the answer to your question.

Wow, according to that chart I can get 26mbit no problem. Although that chart does seem a little optimistic. The speed will also depend on the quality of the copper, not just the distance, it doesnt take that into account.

As far as I know, you dont need LLU to use ADSL2+, I'm pretty sure BT could implement ADSL2+ if they wanted to, giving a good portion of their customers a free boost. I bet the only thing stopping them at the moment is that they cant think of a way to charge extra for it.

Theres no way a British company would give a huge boost in their service like that without finding a way to charge extra. :?