Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any ideas?

home99
Grafter

Any ideas?

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anyone has advice to assist me in establishing a problem with my connection. I have raised a ticket and followed the procedure for line faults and CS have replied stating the line check appears OK and advised I check all connections/filters/modem etc. I have already done this but am willing to try again.

However heres hoping you can assist: 3 days of dropped connections, occuring intermittently. It can take 1/2 hour to establish a connection and then it will only stay connected for a couple of minutes. The light on my modem flashes for the majority of the time as if its attempting to synch.

Sometimes (unless I'm paranoid) a connection is made but as soon as I fire up my browser I loose the connection as if its the passing of info that causes a break in connection, however this doesn't happen all the time.

Modem, Binatone ADSL 500 reports in its diagnostic test

"Checking Circuit O for Network Connection"

Test Ethernet connect to ATM PASS

Test PPPoPVC O PPP layer connection FAIL.

Double dutch to me I'm afraid. Anyway I would really appreciate any ideas as I have a brand new MP3 player that is aching to be updated.

Many thanks

Dave
19 REPLIES
jagger
Grafter

Any ideas?

Dave,

I had a similar problem a while back,and after all the tests etc the techs said that it was my end.So I had a look about and discovered that USB ADSL modems can be prone to dropping connection due to the power suppy from the USB port not being failsafe.A small voltage drop on a low voltage line and *poof* off goes your connection.

I've got a decrepit old Zoom 5510 modem,so I can well believe it was this causing my problem which is one drop per day,time immaterial.

I just live with it until I can get a decent router/modem cheaply.These have a seperate power supply and so circumvent the USB problem.
home99
Grafter

Any ideas?

@Jagger - Thanks I shall definately bear that in mind when I try to resolve the problem tonight.
Community Veteran

Any ideas?

sounds like it could be a wiring fault, although I am not 100% sure I know some of the other guys on here have much more experience at adsl faults than I do so they will probably be able to advise you more

Can I ask a few quesions:

I see you have been with PN for a while now so have you had any previous problems?

Have you changed any wiring in your home lately?

Any new phones and/or Filters?
home99
Grafter

Any ideas?

This is the first time I have ever had a problem with connections.

No wiring has been changed in my house and I have not added or removed any phones/ filters etc.

The only think i can think is that i have disconnected the usb connection on my modem and plug it into a different usb port - not 100 percent sure but i will try a different port tonight when i get home from work. Surely it cant be as simple as that?
Community Veteran

Any ideas?

it is possible that theres a wiring issue with one of your usb connections, there are also known issues with the USB modems drawing so much power that they dont work right with certain motherboards
N/A

Any ideas?

One other way is to get a more powerful PSU. I had similar problems a few years ago and putting in a more powerfull PSU solved the problem, so u can either buy a new power supply or a new moder/router. The power supply might be cheaper but the modem/router is by far the better option, (I tend to keep away from USB modems as they aint that great anyway) but it all comes down to cost.
jagger
Grafter

Any ideas?

Sticking the modem into a USB hub (if it has a seperate power supply) might help too,it talkes the voltage drop out of the equation.

I heard that the Nforce 2 chipset is a bit marginal on this USB voltage score.Which is a bit of a bugger really, as that's what I'm running.And I've got a decent Jeantech PSU.

My problems seemed to start after I went to 2meg.Beforehand I didn't get these disconnects.

HAve you tried clicking on the two arrows Dave.That should get you some more info up on your line.Check the Local/Remote attenuation figures.You need the local to be below 43db for a solid 2meg.

The other thing to check is if the modem is overheating,like if it's near a radiator or got covered over with paperwork or similar.
home99
Grafter

Any ideas?

@Jagger - I am stuck on 1mb as my line can't take 2mb. However I shall try all your suggestions - cheers
home99
Grafter

Any ideas?

I tried various USB ports on my PC last night with varying results - connection would hold for a few minutes in one port but then I was unable to establish a connection at all using other ports. Furthermore I noticed that when using an application, if CPU intensive (such as converting music or forwarding an email), the connection would drop.

And to make it even more conclusive I used a very old laptop and established a solid connection straightaway. This then suggests a problem with my USB ports (but I dont understand how it works fine for 13 months then goes potty).

I assume its a new router for me then! Any suggestions?

Also at times my modem didnt even attempt to synch, ie no flashing light, could this also indicate usb power problems?

Dave
Alecto
Grafter

Any ideas?

Dave, it does sound as though your power supply is sorely tested by running the modem as well as everything else.

For a router,why not try this Safecom one which is very cheap and works amazingly well.
It sets itself up for you, There's a built in firewall which is automatically on.
It's small. Port forwarding is easy. It's cheap. It works with BBC multicast when Plusnet get round to enabling that again. I got one several months ago when my Plusnet supplied Solwise one started playing up, and it's brilliant. Why pay more?
N/A

Any ideas?

I assume its a new router for me then! Any suggestions?

Not going to recommend any particular make, just if you have an ethernet socket on your computer (I think they are sometimes refered to as RJ45 or something similar) it may pay you to go down that road for a router as I have seen and experienced many problems caused by USB gadgets drawing too much power from the socket.
sinewave
Grafter

Any ideas?

I'd not recommend using "a more powerful power supply". If the voltage you are currently feeding to the device is too low then ok, you might see an improvement However, it would be, in that case, a manufacturing error, and many other folk would have the exact same problem (I believe netgear once supplied the "wrong" power supply for some if its routers). If you increase the voltage too much it could result it damage to the device. If the voltage is not enough to blow the device up (!) it certainly will increase the temperature that the device works at. Overheating is a major cause of device crashes - it could be your problems are due to over-heating right now!

Truth is the cheaper modems are not as well designed as the more expensive ones. They have cheaper components and can generally deteriorate quicker over time. Perhaps their internal power supply is less perfectly designed and the extra heat will cause other components to deteriorate quicker for eg. I'd not be surprised if I heard certain cheap modem only lasted a couple of years or so! I've seen this happen many times. There's an argument of course, that it works out cheaper buying a super-cheap unit every couple of years or so.

The other thing to bare in mind is that cheaper modems will be less capable when dealing with line problems. Some line interference is more likely to "confuse" or even crash a cheap unit than the more robust (professional?) units. The condition of our phone lines is often changing. its true that just a new street light can cause your line quality to drop and that could the straw that breaks the camels back in terms of your modem/internet performing well.

FWIW I had a super solid fast 2MB connection for over 6 months and suddenly started to see modem disconnections and other problems. Getting a brand new router/modem improved matters considerably but did not solve it totally. replacing all my house extension wires with Cat5e cable, installing a filtered face plate and removing all unnecessary ring wires brought my connection back to normal. (it also improved my line attenuation by a dB or two)

In general ethernet based modems/routers are far more robust and reliable than USB.
home99
Grafter

Any ideas?

ocaroll you dont have a spare five minutes to replace all my wiring do you? :lol:

Appreciate your comments regarding cheap modems and not updating my PSU and it does make sense.

I believe my modem is ok though as it works fine with a laptop just not with my desktop. Perhaps the PSU or USB ports are giving up the ghost. Or perhaps some conflict is occuring. It is extremely frustrating!
sinewave
Grafter

Any ideas?

ocaroll you dont have a spare five minutes to replace all my wiring do you? :lol:

I would if it only took 5 minutes!

Not far off a day's work in my case;-)