Fixes: 54

Any details of ellacoya changes

from service status
Ellacoya Maintenance - Wednesday 28th September 5:00am - 6:30am
Service Affected:- All Services

Visps / Platforms Affected:- All Visps

Maintenance Window:- Wednesday 28th September 5:00am - 6:30am

Detailed description of work to be performed:-

We are making some changes to the policies configured on the Ellacoya switches.

Duration of expected customer impact:-

1 1/2 hours.

Expected Customer Impact:-

None.

Kind Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
Customer Support
14 REPLIES
N/A

Just what I was wondering - would be interesting to know
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Yep, in preparation for the rollout of the next phase of PlusTalk, we're moving PlusTalk traffic into the gold queue.
N/A

Ah, and there was us hoping P2P was going to be moved into Gold coupled with new 57 Terrabyte limits being introduced along with e-mail and web browsing being put into the Bronze queue... (j/k!)

I'm spending far too much time on here Cheesy

On a serious note, I thought Plus Talk/VoIP was already gold?
Community Veteran

So basically Plustalk will be gold and all other voip systems will be silver.
Previously it has been stated that silver would never be compromised

I think you are mis-understanding for the network management works.

You won't be seeing lower quality VoIP calls. In order to see any negative effect on the silver traffic there would have to be a catastrophic network failure such that every single byte of the bronze queue (all P2P and all Usenet) had been dropped.

The way the queues work is the http/https and email is ranked as gold, P2P and Usenet are ranked as bronze and everything else - gaming, VoIP, DNS, FTP, MSN, IRC, VPN, etc all ranks as silver.

As far as everyday network management is concern gold and silver are effectively the same. In the time we've had the queues set up we have never dropped a single packet of silver traffic and unless, as I say above, there is a catastrophic failure in the network we never will.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Customer Support

From this statement there is no valid reason to separate Plustalk from other offerings unless it is intended to traffic shape other voip systems in the future
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

PlusTalk was (and will be until the maintenance work) in the silver queue along with all other VoIP services. Because PlusTalk will be a service that you pay extra for to us we are moving it into the gold queue. As far as everyday use is concerned you'll never notice the difference between gold and silver because the combined volume of gold and silver traffic is always less than total capacity.

There is no intention to apply shaping to any VoIP traffic however in the event of a massive service outage because as I said above, because you are paying us for the use of PlusTalk, we want to ensure that ranked the highest.
N/A

That seems to be reasonable, to me at least.

Thanks for the update, Dave
Community Veteran

Thanks Dave,
That seems reasonable to me also.
N/A

I understand it is a ranking system of some sorts but ave I missed the post where it is actually stated what Gold, Silver and Bronze mean, beyond the obvious that Gold traffic is faster (?) than bronze.
How do you make Gold faster than bronze?
Community Veteran

I dont think it is a case of making it faster - it ranks the traffic into groups of what gets dropped first should the service start running to capacity.

i.e. when there is massive demand on the network (such as Http traffic when the London Bombings occurred) - the P2P traffic being in the Bronze queue would be dropped in order to preserve the more "important" traffic at that time.

i.e. you wouldn't want your voip call to go all echoey and cuting in and out just because Valve software released a new version of steam on the P2P networks.
Community Veteran

Have a look at this: http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=33114

Let me if it helps ;-)
JJ
Grafter

Just think of it in airline terms
Gold, Silver, Bronze... read First class passengers, Business class and Economy.

Who gets left behind when the plane is over booked, who has a special lane at check in, who gets out of the plane first, etc.

John H
N/A

Ellacoya equipment is cabable of deep packet inspection.

This process can detmine what type of traffic you data is, and apply priorities to the various types.

Gold, Silver and Bronze are just names, and could be pink, brown and charcoal for all it matters.

Gold isn't fater than bronze, but rather bronze is slower than gold.

IE, there is only finite speed at which you can download (2Mb, 1Mb or 12Kb at this time). As demands on the network increase, then the amount of speed shaved off each queue increases.

You can only make a queue go so slow, before it hit stop, so it starts on the Silver queue next.

The idea being that only ever in extream circumstances, would you get Gold being slowed to allow people fair share.
N/A

As far as everyday use is concerned you'll never notice the difference between gold and silver

In terms of 'download speed', yes. But does silver not have a higher *latency* than gold?
N/A

hmmm ... but if I'm playing a game on line and my "voip phone" starts ringing , well sorry but the games gotta come first!!! Smiley I can probably handle a poor quality choppy phone line (like getting a phone call from people abroad in "the old days") - but I dont want to get network lag and bomb out of the game! Evil