Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any chance of a Price Reduction?

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Just a question to ask, if and when people like myself can expect a Price Reduction if any from F9 Sad .

The reason is simple, every man and his dog it seems will be champing at the bit to get their super fast, high speed, 8 meg lines.

Well think about us poor sods out in the sticks ( the countryside to you ‘Townies’ ), all I can get is 512K connection that gives a 56 to 60K download speed when maxed out. Yet I still have to pay the full price of £21.99 a month and I still can get restricted even though I have a *Premier* account Evil .

As the Crow Fly’s (recon he must be drunk on cider Smiley ) it’s about 6 miles from the exchange but our cables go via who knows where and are at least 30 years old and worn out copper. So come on F9 be kind to us *losers* in the high speed super highway, other ISP’s do.

Some charge only £14.99 for an unrestricted 512 connection so why do I have to pay the full whack for something I can never use (well not unless this new ADSL 2+ makes a difference).

I’m all ready Wink , just upgraded to a brand new Linksys ADSL 2/2+ wireless router.
The old Binatone was getting a bit rusty and if we wanted it upgraded it had to go back to their workshop to be done, needs a new daughter board as well as a flash upgrade. Not worth it as its over 2 years old.

So next time you *flash 8 meg* users download your latest video in no time, think about the underdogs who will never get anywhere near your speed and just say thanks for living where you do.

Regards, Colin.
16 REPLIES
N/A

I think the best you can hope for is if BT bring down there prices per GB downloaded.

Other than that.... no chance!
N/A

Price Reduction!! Your Joking arent you?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Just be glad you have ANY service.
Pendragon
Rising Star

cyteck said;

Price Reduction!! Your Joking arent you??

No I'm not joking. Why sould I pay full price for something I can never use. Would you pay the road tax for an over 2 Ltr car when all you had was a motorbike?

and ukfmonline added;

Other than that.... no chance!

Hmmm seems like it's time to shop around for a better price.
Trouble is I have to move my web site as well, ah well 'what will be will be'.

Thanks for your input, regards Colin.
N/A

Why sould I pay full price for something I can never use. Would you pay the road tax for an over 2 Ltr car when all you had was a motorbike?

Unfortunately the way BT / F9 structure things - you pay for how far you go, not how fast you get there or the type of motorised vehicle you use.

Effectively depending on which product you are using, you either pay for each and every 100 miles (PAYG - more or less) or you pay for 1,000 miles (Premier, and F9 hope you only go 200 miles, but you don't get charged any more if you do 3,000 miles. Although various traffic shaping means F9 let your tyres down at 1,250 miles and they swap your motorbike for a pedal bike at 1,850 miles - so you'd have to work REALLY HARD to get 3,000 miles out of them).

That said, there are still ISP's out there who still charge by speed and not distance (theoretically). Although some insist you drive a diesel. And some give you a Sinclair C5 disguised to look like a Ford Ka.

In years gone by, F9 used to appeal to the ferrari drivers with promises of straight roads and no speed limits - knowing that the ferrari drivers would bring all their Micra / Fiesta driving friends and collegues with them. In recent times, F9 have put up speed cameras on those same roads every other mile and are just about to build speed bumps every 300 yards and add more speed cameras. Whilst at the same time building bypasses with "we luv micra / fiesta" signs every 100 miles (next to the toll booths) . F9 keep telling the ferrari drivers that nothing really has changed, since they can still drive 3,000 miles theoretically (as long as the majority of driving is done from midnight to 8am when the roads are quiet and the speed cameras can't make out your number plate due to their poor night vision)

*edited to correct spelling*
JonathanW
Grafter

Unfortunately, the same basic price is paid for your connection no matter what speed you are connected at. BTw charge us £8.40 per connection, whether that e for your 512k connection or someone elses 2mb connection. So its not possible to offer you any kind of discount due to the speed of your line, as all of the packages are sold as Up To X speed and come with a certain usage allowance.
Pendragon
Rising Star

queeg500,

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face today :lol: . I just love your reply.

I think F9 should copy it and put it with the FAQ so people would understand just what they purchase and what they are getting.

JW,
if F9 can't (or will not) offer a discount how does the likes of Tesco and Tiscali manage to offer a 512K package for far less than yours?
Seems I'm paying for a little so others can enjoy a lot.
Anyway I'll leave it there as this is getting nowhere, thanks for all your replys.

Regards, Colin.
JonathanW
Grafter

Its down to the way that the packages are designed. They're designed to offer a set usage level with several possible speeds, all for the same price. Where as some other companies decide to offer packages at each speed point and charge differently for them, either because they prefer this pricing method or they are still on one of the older pricing models from BTw where they did pay a higher price for a faster connection, but pay less for the bandwidth that the customer uses.
N/A

or they are still on one of the older pricing models from BTw where they did pay a higher price for a faster connection, but pay less for the bandwidth that the customer uses.

Oooo...Oooo... Can WE have that back plz ? Wink

Actually, I think I already know the answer. I think it's possible, but a whole pipe would need to be paid for that way. Since that pipe is structured one way and the rest of the pipes another, it would almost like a separate ISP - balanced only to itself, with none of the flexability offered by the existing infrastructure. Peaks of usage would kill the network (or at least that independant section of it), under capacity would be expensive for F9.

So probably no.
N/A

queeg500, loved the ferrari analogy, spot on.
N/A

queeg500

Brill! - Post of the Year so Far!
okmbok
Grafter

Unfortunately, the same basic price is paid for your connection no matter what speed you are connected at. BTw charge us £8.40 per connection, whether that e for your 512k connection or someone elses 2mb connection. So its not possible to offer you any kind of discount due to the speed of your line, as all of the packages are sold as Up To X speed and come with a certain usage allowance.

Yes there is. Charge more for 2Mb users ...they can then subsidise the poor "sods" on less than 2Mb
JonathanW
Grafter

Actually, I think I already know the answer. I think it's possible, but a whole pipe would need to be paid for that way. Since that pipe is structured one way and the rest of the pipes another, it would almost like a separate ISP - balanced only to itself, with none of the flexability offered by the existing infrastructure. Peaks of usage would kill the network (or at least that independant section of it), under capacity would be expensive for F9.

So probably no.

There is that, there's also the fact that I don't think BTw still offer that pricing plan. I know there are still a few ISPs out there who are using it, but BTw are trying to move everyone to Capacity Based Charging, by only offering things such as DSLMax on CBC pipes, and so on.
N/A

i think i agree with queeg500 on this one

a lot of isp's are now supplying upto 2mb connections, and giving you the choice of which package you want

if you can provide a tier for payg, bb+ then there should be no reason why you can't also set teirs for premier, epecially as you've already charging people upto £40pm already for 8mb and they ain't got it. Not only that you must still have customers on the easystart plans paying £25 a month, as they haven't been made aware of the cheaper packagaes. I know this for fact as my free who has gone to australia end of february was still paying £25 for their connection, even though they had been on easystart for over a year.

You BT charge you the same for 512kb, 1mb and 2mb connections. Then easiest solution charge everyone this minimum fee plus a percentage (ie say starting package is £15pm, 1mb is £20, 2mb £25, etc, etc)

you will then recoup costs from the customers with higher connection speeds who can use more bandwidth for the lower speed customers.

Remember the meeting in december you only had 1% of heavy downloaders, and so you brought in SUP to benefit the other 99% of customers. Well why not do the same for people on low speeds, who will use lower bandwidth.

regards
mike
quelquod
Rising Star

Remember the meeting in december you only had 1% of heavy downloaders, and so you brought in SUP to benefit the other 99% of customers. Well why not do the same for people on low speeds, who will use lower bandwidth?

Why do you think that higher speeds automatically mean greater usage? I use exactly the same amount of data now on 2Mb/sec as I previously did on 512kb/sec because I have a fixed (and not very high) need. I'm sure there are a lot like me. Remember that speed upgrades were automatic (and not requested) and not a reflection of usage patterns.
Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!