cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any Opinions On This ?

N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

I'm downloading a file using Bit Torrent. My son lives in the same house and we have 2 phone lines to the same exchange, we're even on the same DSLAM I believe. He is downloading the same file from the same site with the same client. We have about the same number of peers and seeds. He is getting 230 KB. I'm getting less than 30KB.
We even tried swapping lan cables so that my comp was connected to his ISP and router and vice versa. That ruled out comp settings.
Result, exactly the same.
The line attenuation and SNR for his line is within a hair of mine, so it isn't that.
Any opinions anyone ?
Regards, John Taylor.
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Any Opinions On This ?

What accounts are you both on?

How much have you both downloaded in total and during peak periods on VMBU

Are you aware of the traffic shaping and traffic management being applied to your account which is discussed in many many other threads on this forum.
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

I'm on 2Mb Premier and my total usage for the month is 14GB, so there shouldn't be any shaping applied to me.
My son is with a different ISP, but he's on 2Mb unlimited.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Any Opinions On This ?

Hi,

Were you getting 30KB/s speeds when connected to the other ISP or did it increase to 230KB/s? I may not have read that bit properly.
Community Veteran

Any Opinions On This ?

His son, on a diferent phone line and another ISP is getting 230Kbs, He, on PN is getting 30Kbs. Both using the same torrent at he same time.

Which means PN are affecting his connection somehow and traffic shaping is the most likely culprit. I still believe PN are affecting connections even within your 'clean' allowance.
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

I didn't connect to another ISP. I can't do that , can I ?. What we did was to swap computers to rule out any difference in computer settings.
I'm with Plunet.
He's with XXXXX.
I was wondering why he is getting much better speeds with p2p than I am ?
EDIT
He's finished, mine is now 40KB and 2 hours to go.
Regards, JohnTaylor.
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

What routers do you both have, are they different?
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

Both US Robotics, same model. Bought them together.
I'm going to leave this torrent running and see how long it takes to finish.
Regards, John Taylor.
EDIT
Forgot to mention, 180 seeds, 30 peers. Swarm speed 2100 kB.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Any Opinions On This ?

We even tried swapping lan cables so that my comp was connected to his ISP and router and vice versa.

This is the bit that I mean. When you swapped the Lan cables you were connected to the other ISP and if I'm understanding it correctly you were still getting 30KB/s when you did that?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Any Opinions On This ?

I still believe PN are affecting connections even within your 'clean' allowance.

Inevitable when they haven't got enough BT centrals capacity for the number of users. They claim to have enough capacity to meet the contention ratios, but then use a method of calculation nobody else uses, which has so many factors weighted in that it becomes meaningless.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

His computer was connected to PN, and my computer was connected to XXXXX. My computer then connected to the torrent, but through his ISP, and vice versa. I got 230 KB and he got 30KB.
In other words, we both got 30 KB from PN, and we both got 230 from XXXX. We did this to see if it was a computer settings fault but it appears not to be the case.
Regards, John Taylor.
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

ASk network team to check your profile, it happened to me a few weeks ago, was stuck @50kb/s for no reason Sad
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

Well, slap me in the mouth and call me a liar. It's up to 60KB now.
I'll keep an eye on it and see what happens. I might just raise a ticket if it doesn't improve.
EDIT
Still doesnt explain the vast difference between his and mine.
Regards, John Taylor.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Any Opinions On This ?

I'll get the network guys to check out your profile details to make sure everything's OK our side and get back to you.
N/A

Any Opinions On This ?

Thanks for that, I'll be very interested to find out. Do you think it will be soon ?
Regards, John Taylor.