cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti virus message from PlusNet

N/A

Yesterday I received an email from Webmaster@ (my address) titled:
"[virus Win32/Mytob.DQ worm] Notice: **Last Warning*".
As I have not subscribed to the Anti virus option I am a little bemused. Was it genuinely from PlusNet, am I now (ADSL Home Self-Install £21.99) on a free anti virus checker, or is it itself a virus?
I have NOD32, which until now has never let me down.
7 REPLIES
N/A

I have had these coming in for a week or two and had another one this morning which my Norton picked up. They are getting past the PN virus detector which I pay for. I reported it in the customer-feedback newsgroup and CLAMAV who supply PN with antivirus asked for a copy of the email so I sent them the attachment but clearly that didnt help. There is a mention in Service Status of a similar problem being discovered and resolved but I will believe it when it happens.
N/A

Missed Virus software updates on scanning server, Ivan

Hello,

I think this might be relevant, I just read over in the F9 forum an announcement from Force9 that their Anti Virus scanning server & software had missed a recent virus definition update and that some emails with virus infected attachments might have managed to slip passed un-noticed as a result. I have a feeling that this might be relevent to your posting here?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

I seem to have a problem expressing myself.
The message was recieved from Webmaster@ my PlusNet address. It informed me that a worm had been sent to one of my mail boxes.
1) I have not subscribed to PlusNet's virus checker, are they now supplyind it free?
2) It stated that the original message was supplied as an attachment, when I opened the attachment it was empty.
So was it a genuine email from PlusNet or some "funny".
LiamM
Grafter

That's almost certainly a fake. If PN were emailing you, it would be from support@plus.net. You are the webmaster of your own PN domain, so they wouldn't send you an email from webmaster@towill.plus.com for example.
N/A

I thought that Liam, but what is the point? Also how did they get my email address from which the message supposidly came, it is merely three letters, not a word or even part word, and only used for a specific task?
N/A

I don't know how they do it, but I have had exactly the same thing happen on my Vispa mail account which, like PlusNet, is "anything"@"username-etc.", so I guess it's probably a matter of random selection and pot luck on the part of the sender.

I've no idea what my fake one actually was though - knew I hadn't sent myself any mail, so just wiped it out in Mailwasher without even looking at it.
N/A

W32.Mytob. ... mass-mailing worms

The message was recieved from Webmaster@ my PlusNet address
According to Symantec, W32.Mytob.BN@mm - of which I received more than enough over the past few weeks - is a mass-mailing worm and it spoofs a long list of names, including 'webmaster'. Please see
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mytob.bn@mm.html

I had no luck looking for Win32/Mytob.DQ but it is likely to be much the same - in other words it's tacked your PlusNet domain name onto "webmaster@" before sending the virus-laden email.
Hope this helps.
John B