cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Answers?

Community Veteran

Answers?

Right, as I have just been ejected\disconnected from yet another xbox live session, I decided to test my connection a little.

Can PN please inform me, why when a BT speedtest reports my speed as 1756kbps,

Several speed tests, including PN's own are reporting my speed at less than 200 kbps?

This is a complete and utter joke.

If you want another customer singing from the rooftops on AG etc, feel free to carry on.

You could of course explain the above to me, and explain exactly what is being done with immediate effect to resolve it.
153 REPLIES
Firejack
Grafter

Answers?

Tonight seems really really bad. Predicting 36 minutes to upload a 4MB file to my website at the moment :roll:

Buy more bandwidth dammit! :shock:
Community Veteran

Answers?

Yes tonight does seem worse, but so is my BT contention. Down to 2mb on a 4mb link.

The level of reduction in speed through PN's network however seems constant at 1/10th of my BT speed.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
Community Veteran

Answers?

After having posted this several times and receiving no answer, Im starting to think that PN cant answer this....

Again tonight I get these test results....

Think broadband showing a treacle like 0.2mbps, (170kbps):
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtestcomplete.html?id=116586624624168831564

Speedtest.net shows a ridiculous 162kbps:

Plusnets own speedtest shows 168.3kbps

A download from Microsoft is coming down at a brilliant 39Kb/s(almost 512k speed).

YET A BT SPEEDTEST RUN OUTSIDE PN NETWORK SHOWS 2000kbps (2mb).

PLEASE EXPLAIN NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Evil Evil Evil
N/A

Answers?

Wink
Community Veteran

Answers?

Thankyou, if you feel like making a positive contribution to the thread, please feel free to revisit it.

I have no doubt there are people experiencing good speeds, but there seem to be a great many receiving poor speeds.

As I am currently under my usage limit, and Http is prioritised, it would be nice to know why its coming through at a rate just more than a 10th of the speed BT say I can get through the line... :roll:
N/A

Answers?

I pay 30 quid a month for this

Community Veteran

Answers?

Crikey, and I thought I was being bent over at £14.99 (less a couple of referrals) a month.

Anyone from PN want to let us know whats going on?

Has anyone else compared their results to a propper BT speedtest (using the BT login on the router)
N/A

Answers?

I have just submited a ticket for explaination
if not satisfactory im off

This is pathetic Sad
N/A

Answers?

Im actually stunned that this shit is still happening.

What i dont understand is how after 5 days of that crap i was suddenly fixed and everything was instantly better than it ever was..yet 7 days in and some people are still getting this completely unacceptable service with no explanation of whats going on.
solidsilverlady's upload speed is the worst ive seen so far.
Surely some of you have to be due some compensation by now?
Community Veteran

Answers?

Out of interest could you perform a BT speedtest?

change the login details on your router to "speedtest@speedtest_domain" with a blank password, and go to:

http://217.32.105.42/cgi-bin/home.page.pl

Then do a speedtest - just to see what you could get if it werent for PN's network.
N/A

Answers?

Got This

The speed test has completed on test server speedtester1.nat.bt.com for user xxxxxxxx and you have downloaded a 1.7Mb file at a speed of

1382 kilo bits per second (Kbps), your service bandwidth will have been quoted to you in kilo bits per second.

Your IP address is xxxxxxxx your browser is reported as being Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 and is running on Windows XP.

BT would regard the speed ranges shown below as normal service:

bearing in mind this is on a 1.5 meg connection have a very long line
Community Veteran

Answers?

So you get 1.3mbps on BT, and 255kb on Plusnet.

Welcome to my world, its great isnt it. :roll:
N/A

Answers?

Wonderful Evil
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Answers?

Hi,

I asked this in another thread so apologies if you've replied to that, but what is general web browsing like? How long does it take to load the portal, or www.ebay.co.uk or news.bbc.co.uk? What speeds do you get on FTP, what does a tracert to www.bbc.co.uk look like?

I'm a little suspicious of the speed tests as they are showing 168kbps (about 21KB/s) whereas the download from Microsofr is coming down at 38KB/s. Something doesn't quite add up, but I'm not entirely sure what. The latency on the speedtest also seems high and the upload low, although again the upload on Thinkbroadband is higher.

I can't recall if you've said what it's like offpeak, does it go back to normal then or are you seeing the same kind of speeds?