cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another way of viewing usage?

nairobi
Grafter

Is there another way of viewing usage for the month?

I'm finding the "View my Usage" tool very frustrating for the following reasons:

(1) It chooses an arbitrary scale - one which has no relevance to my quota for the month. Can't we fix it so that it shows the paid-for usage on a scale of 0 -> quota?

(2) It insists on adding my unmetered usage and quota usage to give a total usage number. Whilst this may be of interest to someone it's of little use to me, because all I care about is whether my paid-for usage is below the quota.

(3) It splits the information across a number of screens, when what I really want could probably be summarised on a single screen.

I do seem to recall there was a third-party tool that scraped the information off the website and summarised it in a nicer format. But I don't think it did quite what I'm looking for. Ideally, I'd like to access the raw data somehow, perhaps by telnet?

Does anyone have any other ideas?
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Are you using a bookmarked page, because I'm not quite sure what you're missing. The first page on the VMBU page should show what you are looking for.

Below the bar there's a breakdown of paid for usage that you've used so far, the usage allowance, free usage and finally the total.
nairobi
Grafter

Hi Dave

No, that's not sufficient. It doesn't tell you what period it covers, so I have no idea whether my usage is on track to exceed quota for the month or whether it's okay.

You have to click onto the monthly usage page to get that information, I think.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

The figure on the first page covers the billing month covered so far, the daily breakdown will show you the individual figures per day and also what day the month started.

Would it be better to include the billing period dates on the summary page as well?
nairobi
Grafter

Would it be better to include the billing period dates on the summary page as well?

I'd find it really helpful.
nairobi
Grafter

Sorry, there is one more grumble... I don't understand the "view internet activities" information at all.

The graph at the top shows the same information for web and e-mail but I don't see why they're the same. Coincidence? The percentages in the table below are completely different, yet the graph doesn't seem to bear any resemblance to the figures at all.

The bottom table is all in percentage terms. This is all a bit meaningless without corresponding information about usage against quota... which is only available on other pages.

Anyway, I've written a perl script to interrogate my router logs which gives information in the format I need. So that'll do for now.