cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another vote - i'll try and do it properly this time. (MaxD)

N/A

Quite simply put a number of people who have been upgraded to max are experiencing periods of unusable or severe slow downs in their speed.
It is most probably due to BT's much up of the BRAs and stable rates on long phone lines which have great variation in their SNR.
46 REPLIES
Lorian
Grafter

What router do you have?
Community Veteran

There really are two categories of problems.

[1] download speeds are variable
[2] intermittent and unstable sync speeds

Not sure all folks able to distinguish between the two.

Certainly if you have [2] you'll probably experience [1].

If you have [1], the cause does not have to be [2]. Cry

I have [2] and voted that is is variable at different times of the day.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

Netgear DG834 54mbps wireless.
Dad has wired one and no probs and is on ma no problem, me at uni a can be unusable Sad
Nocturne
Grafter

Netgear DG834 54mbps wireless.
Dad has wired one and no probs and is on ma no problem, me at uni a can be unusable Sad

I use the DG834 and although it works quite well I think the problems I'm having at times relate to the implementation of MaxDsl rather than the Router.

Hope you enjoy your time at University and benefit from it.
N/A

Haha good one, as AUT are striking one of my exams may not happen which in turn means i may not graduate...... wooo for unions...... woooo for uni
Back to revision :? Sad
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I saw a problem yesterday where poor speeds using a DG834GT was caused by having the router MTU set at 1492. Changing it up to 1500 made a drastic improvement (speed nearly doubled).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
N/A

Using a DG328, and also found MTU 1500 and RWIN 75920 made a big improvement from previous settings for 2Mb speed.
Laser
Grafter

For the first few days my max connection was a rather flakey. Would go off for 30 seconds every hour or so in the evening. Speeds went between 300k and 3M all the time (sync always around 5000-6000). :roll:

Now the 10-day period is up the system seems to have settled on a slightly higher SNR of 5-10dB as opposed to the 3-6dB it floated around before. (Sync now at around 5800k.) The connection now seems fairly solid, with speed tests getting between 3.5 - 4.1Mbps. (500KB/s) Smiley

Router = DG834GT with 1.01.28 firmware. (Newer FW seems less relaible.) I have a filtered master faceplate and decent wiring. Tongue

(I did try playing with the adslctl -SNR thing at one point. It held sync at less than 1dB (sync = 6700 or so), but the number of errors meant it was really slow. Shockedops: )
tumnus
Grafter

It seems to me that the BRAs profile has not changed in respect of the SNR margin for some people (myself included). I think the default profile ensures the SNR is at least 6db when the modem syncs (although it can easily drop off quickly after syncing). For those whose SNR drops off drastically during the evening the BRAs profile should be changed so that the SNR margin is more like 9db or even 12db, but this hasn't been automatically done like it probably should have. This could result in a lower MSR, but considering I was limited to 1mb before I would be happy with anything over 2mb.
Community Veteran

This could result in a lower MSR, but considering I was limited to 1mb before I would be happy with anything over 2mb.

With a little more finese the scheme could work better. BT seem intent on using SNR as the only controlled metric, maybe due to a limitation in DSLAM.

Either the scheme could be changed to:
[1] have the line sync at all times of the day at a known sustainable rate, and monitor line stats to see if line ever improves
[2] have target SNR of 10dB before 6PM and 6db after 6PM for when a modem syncs for first time that day. Otherwise leave target at 6dB on other resyncs.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
Laser
Grafter

[2] have target SNR of 10dB before 6PM and 6db after 6PM for when a modem syncs for first time that day. Otherwise leave target at 6dB on other resyncs.

I agree the system could be more intelligent, but the example you've given is exactly the opposite of what many people see: More noise-prone in the evening. That is perhaps a good example of why it's hard to make a system that will satisfy everyone.

After all is said and done, there is a certain SNR (and it is mostly SNR that will have the most impact on number of errors in the transmission) which is acceptable to keep a decent throughput. The whole adaptive thing is intended to automatically ramp up the sync speed to the highest value it can, given that SNR target.

What the system seems to do is decide (after some days) that your SNR appears to fluctuate over the course of the day by N dB, so it will leave the sync rate low enough that the worst case typically seen will still sync. The best case will then be worst case+N dB. Otherwise you'd be stuck with the line losing sync and dropping (at least) twice a day as the SNR goes over the threshold.

It's not a bad system (when it works!), if you look at it like that. :shock:
Community Veteran

I agree the system could be more intelligent, but the example you've given is exactly the opposite of what many people see: More noise-prone in the evening.

I was careful with the wording.

It is better for people to sync in the quiet times with a higher target SNR, the objective is to not have a high sync speed (e.g. there is no point syncing at 3500kb/s when you are limited by BT/PN to 2500kb/s). The high sync speeds in the morning are unstable in the evening, so why bother syncing at that speed at all? Sad

Anyhow, we broadly agree something better should be done getting it right is tricky. However there seem to be approx 30% of...

--
3Mb FTTC
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Generally pleased with Max on a Netgear DG814.
Because of line length interleaving has been enabled which reduced the disconnections to almost zero. Fortunately I don't do gaming as the latency increased from 18ms to 37ms.
Checked using a Speedtouch 516 and SNR was 7.5dB with similar synch speed of about 3800kb/s.
Regularly get 2500kb/s speeds on tests - heck of an improvement on 1Mb
N/A

I only have a usd modem so can't check snr.

But I've a long line (2.8 km from the exchange) and before Max could never reach speeds over 900 kb/s. Now my modem syncs at between 3000 and 3400, but PN still have my speed at 2500.

I get at least one disconnect in the evening at around 10pm, sometimes more, when my modem syncs to a slightly lower speed. But only once since Max have I had speeds as slow as those before, based on speed tests, and ftp downloads can hit 330 kb/s during peak times, depending on how busy the site is.

I'd like to see my stable rate set to th lowest that I can sync at and stay synced, which is 500 higher than my present 2500.
Apart from that, I knew that I'd never have blistering fast speeds, so I'm reasonably happy apart from the disconnects. Now I warn people I talk to using IM that I'll be disconnected between 9 and 10 pm for my 'daily resync'.

I was maxed sometime between the 3rd and 10th of this month, but haven't any idea when because I was away and PN never sent a mail telling me I'd been upgraded. I wonder, if I raise a ticket, if they will do so?