cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another thread locked - Are we entitled to an opinion?

N/A

Yet another thread locked.

I'm sorry mods, but this has to stop.

The thread about the peak hours contained some valid points, and proved once again (if it needs to be) that we customers are getting a bum deal in more ways than one.
The thread went off topic, granted, but the mods actions were the cause of that. It's a bit like the police giving someone a gun, and then immediately prosecuting them for possesion of a firearm.
The PN representative was way out of order and your reply was to nit-pick the other users' pointing out this fact.
I'm sure had Bens reply been said by one of us, then you would have immediately taken action against us....

I have never seen such a ridiculous forum as this; after spending only a couple of weeks here, it is obvious that when PN staff are shown to look like fools (by their own actions), threads are locked or deleted.

While I appreciate that they must stick up for PN staff to a degree, how can they continue to do so given this recent influx of offensive and innacurate posts by them?
Everyone is getting irritated and annoyed on here recently, including the PN staff on here; unsuprising really considering that I have seen them "owned" on more than one occasion (and most of those threads were locked/removed).

Please try to show some fairness, I believe that it what you are here for. The rules apply to us all (PN staff and mods included), otherwise this forum is a just a big farce.

edit: no doubt this will be seen as "off topic" and will also get locked/deleted.... i rest my case Cry
23 REPLIES
N/A

Hi there,

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion.

The thread was locked because of the attitude of one poster who took exception to reasonable moderating actions and decided to argue, thereby taking the thread off topic.

The highlighting of and dealing with full quotes is somthing which has been done in the same manner on these boards for years. Quite why the individual concerned took exception to this is beyond me.

The thread contained some valid points, yes and as such was not deleted. if the discussion needs to continue, then by all means start a new thread. Any relevant points can be linked to the original thread.

As has been said repeatedly of late, reasoned, constructive debate is what these boards are all about. Argumentative, trolling, irrelevant and off topic posts will be dealt with.

I asked yesterday for calm and a reasoned attitude on the boards.

I reiterate that request.
Community Veteran

The thread went off topic, granted, but the mods actions were the cause of that. It's a bit like the police giving someone a gun, and then immediately prosecuting them for possesion of a firearm.

Yes it did have some valid points, I told people to keep it back on topic and everyone knows what happens when threads get derailled but one user choose to ignore my advice. The thread is still available for people to read and quote from.

While I appreciate that they must stick up for PN staff to a degree, how can they continue to do so given this recent influx of offensive and innacurate posts by them?

I haven't taken any action which sticks up for PlusNet. I've taken action to close a thread which someone decided to vent his anger about something unrelated.

Please try to show some fairness, I believe that it what you are here for. The rules apply to us all (PN staff and mods included), otherwise this forum is a just a big farce.

The rules are applied to everyone. If we see anyone derailling threads for thier own purposes or crusades they will be locked. We've taken action against both pro and anti PlusNet posters recently. The only thing these people have in common is their decision to ignore the warnings given by the moderators.

Chris
rammie1976
Grafter

Its like buses - you never see a mod for pages and then 2 come along all at once! :lol:

Perhaps you might consider that some people feel they have paid for a service they believe they're not getting and are angry about it? There was no real abuse on the latest locked thread - why didn't you just let it blow itself out? All this stomping about and locking threads does is wind people up unecessarily (imho obviously).
N/A

I can see, understand and fully respect the mods decisions on here. Some people really do take threads off topic and destroy them in the process. But sometimes, the mods can also be very "Agent Smith" ish.

Tell me posters, what use is a forum... when you are unable... to post? Cool *watches all the keys on his keyboard mold with each other into one solid block of plastic*
N/A

I am remaining calm, and reasoned.
Believe me, if I lose my cool you will be the first to know about it.

But you still haven't adressed my original point.

BBrown was totally out of order, and had a customer behaved in this manner, I'm sure it would have resulted in a ticking off.

I appreciate that you are making these points to both pro and against PN customers, but what about the PN staff?
Does that mean if I worked for PN I would be freely allowed to come on this forum and be abusive and rude, and break other rules set out by PN in the first place.

I'll make the point again, one rule for you, one for us :shock:
Community Veteran

Its often hard to draw a line. Remember we're not here all the time and the forums can be left for some time before a moderator comes back and notices a problem thread which by then can become a lot more unruley. Experience has shown us over the years that a lot of these threads dont blow over and nipping them in the bud is the best way. As ive said we leave the thread in place so people can still read and search for useful information.

Chris
N/A

Hello? Can I have an answer to my question please?

I can assure you that in this case, ignorance is not bliss.

Let me re-iterate my point once again.

Why are the PN staff exempt from the rules to which the rest of us are constantly reminded?
Why was bbrown not asked to keep his posts civilised like the rest of us constantly are?

He was out-of-order and as such should be subject to the same mod replies as the rest of us.
I for one would like to see this more often, as it would give the impression that this is not a totally one sided forum (which it currently certainly is)
Community Veteran

Why was bbrown not asked to keep his posts civilised like the rest of us constantly are?

IMHO It was civilised, pedantic maybe but civilised. If Ben or any other member of the plusnet staff were not civilised it would be more than a warning from the mod's they'd get.....
shellsong
Grafter

Is there no other way you have to discipline those you consider to be abusing their posting rights than the brute force method of locking a thread?

I had made a perfectly valid point prior to the posts that caused fa55dsl to make his arbitrary decision to lock the thead in question and I had been hoping to see some sensible discussion and/or information about it

One problem is that this forum is not properly threaded (see slashdot if you want to know how a forum should be managed)-- is there no way of collapsing posts that are considered to be going adrift so you'd have to click on them to see what they were about?
Community Veteran

Not with phpBB which is the software used here.
Community Veteran

Hello? Can I have an answer to my question please?

As per the Forum FAQ (see the link in my sig) please PM a moderator with a link to the axact post you had a problem with.

Chris
N/A

IMHO It was civilised, pedantic maybe but civilised. If Ben or any other member of the plusnet staff were not civilised it would be more than a warning from the mod's they'd get.....

Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are coming from with that, but given PNs recent behaviour (i've read in other threads about customers recieving abuse or simply being cut off from telephone support), I would't trust any of them to find their own backside with both hands, let alone give a flying monkeys about customer satifaction.
shellsong
Grafter

It's interesting to note that Ben the Pedant was wrong anyway!

Midnight is 12pm(0am) not 12am!
N/A

exact same thing happened to me yesterday.
but the point i belive is that these forums are for customer feedback ,

is'nt that what we are doing yet still we get removed/locked?.