cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another e-mail Access problem

hneil
Grafter

I am getting a rather strange e-mail access problem.

I have just been converted to Broadband and this is my first experience with a router. I think a setting must be wrong but I don't know which (or how).

When checking for e-mail (I use Thunderbird), I keep getting the error message "An error occurred with the pop3 mail server. Mail server mail.plus.net responded:" There is then a blank space. What I find rather strange is that, while this happens every time that I force a search, if I leave Thunderbird to check automatically it will sometimes (although not often) successfully download the messages.

My router is a SpeedTouch 716.

I have tried with firewalls off and it made no difference. I believe it is the router because I get no problems if I switch to my old modem on a dial-up connection. That is now working perfectly, thanks to this forum.
7 REPLIES
hneil
Grafter

After much experiment I have managed to solve this one myself. Just in case anyone else has a similar problem here is the solution:-

It was due to my ant-virus (AVG) e-mail scanner still pointing to a dial-up connection. I changed the connection to LAN and everything started working normally.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Interesting to know. I've been looking through the Questions that have been raised to us and trying to spot accounts that are still having problems after last week and trying to see what's happening. I'm noticing a mix of things and error messages which I'll see if I can put together into a support page. Errors like the one you see are very useful when you find the problem, appreciate you coming back and saying what was wrong.
Azagoth
Grafter

Yeah, I'm also having email problems.

I open up Thunderbird, it connects and tells me that I have new messages yet I can't see them. It downloads, yet nothing appears in my inbox. I've checked all folders too, including junk and there's no sight nor sound of my mail.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi,

Your mailbox checks out OK from here, I've sent you a test message. Let me know if you receive it.
Azagoth
Grafter

Yeah, thanks Dave. That one arrived as per normal.

Strange.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Very strange, do you have any message rules set up? I've got dozens of the things because of the all the spam and stuff I get and they sometimes send mails in the wrong folders (because I'm lazy when I set them up).
hneil
Grafter

Hi,

Interesting to know. I've been looking through the Questions that have been raised to us and trying to spot accounts that are still having problems after last week and trying to see what's happening. I'm noticing a mix of things and error messages which I'll see if I can put together into a support page. Errors like the one you see are very useful when you find the problem, appreciate you coming back and saying what was wrong.

Hi Dave,

No problems with the feedback. I have benefitted in the past from others providing feedback. I was just my turn. A support page with such problems and their solutions sounds like a very good idea. Once you have the basic structure in place you may well find people volunteering their problems and solutions. It is a bit like joke telling. Hear one and it reminds you of another.

One additional thing about my problem that I should mention is that the AVG mail scanner is an add-in and appears to have its own settings. Therefore this scanner had to be changed to work in a LAN as well as the anti-virus and firewall sections. It also occurs to me that it may not be too obvious to someone used to a direct connection dial-up modem that a router creates a LAN.