cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another bites the dustm wonder what response +net will give

N/A

Seems I will be leaving after just 4 odd months of being a customer, must admit plusnet seemed wonderful at first, quick easy install nice prices and quick on surfing and p2p.

I took out the 4meg premiers, then after a few months thought when is 4meg going to be activate, as (everyone probably knows) I was connecting at 2meg, I asked for a refund so I would have paid for the 2meg service I was recieving (only fair I think, pay for what you are getting) which was refused, then the T&C's are changed, speeds slow down, random disconnects, not really a good service no more.

Then to boot, internet was down for around 2 weeks, reported issue on 1st novemeber, nothing much happened until they reported it to BT on the 10th, bt had fixed it by the 11th, my question is why does it take 10 days to report a fault to BT!, I used to work as a network admin and would never of waited 10 days to report a fault to BT!
7 REPLIES
N/A

Cry

No one replies, not even from plus net!, well ive asked for the charges and its 84 quid for the modem and acitivation, luckly I got the monthly contract!, though I have the option of keeping plusnet and moving it with me, but is it really worth it!
N/A

I have the option of keeping plusnet and moving it with me, but is it really worth it!

it depends what you want from your isp?,
you will struggle to find a better priced one, the random disconnects should of stopped by now (i haven't had one for a while) and speeds should get back to nearly how they were when you signed up, once pn sort these traffic prioritization techniques out.

one thing for sure is that you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, if we are to believe plusnet all other isp's will soon have to develop some sort of traffic shaping, no doubt they will have teathing problems of there own.

personally i would stick with them a little longer, pn have said things will improve, may aswell give them a bit longer to prove it, but if it doesn't, then i'll be comin with ya Wink
N/A

I have to add to this, I was of the same frame of mind when PN went through the whole AUP/SUP fiasco, i was prepared to give a litle latitude, but that latitude has now been expended, it only seems to me that in another few months time, your service will be squeezed that little bit more to cater for their "business model"
N/A

I agree. When the SUP was implemented i expected a minor decrease in speed and thought this would be acceptable. However when my NNTP was permanatly at 28kb/s for weeks (Peak or off peak) i thought the restrictions were OTT.

The only people on the BB that seem to defend PN are the moderators / PN staff and the non P2P/NNTP users. Notice also how the moderators are the only ones every reporting acceptable speeds on P2P / NNTP.

[Moderator's note by Mark (pcsni): Please do not quote the preceeding post in its entirety. Its unnecessary and against the rules]
N/A

one thing for sure is that you don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire, if we are to believe plusnet all other isp's will soon have to develop some sort of traffic shaping, no doubt they will have teathing problems of there own.

Well, now, that isn't necessarily the case. Many ISP's are categorically stating they have no such plans.

It is outstandingly arrogant of PN to assume that the business model they have adopted is the only business model capable of sustaining profitability and connectivity. One only has to look at some of our European neighbours to see that traffic shaping is not the route they have taken, and they are years ahead of us in terms of bandwidth and usage. It's also interesting to note, that much of the rhetoric about this business model coming from PN, is exactly the same rhetoric used in the sales pitch from the company who sold them the shaping technology.

It's almost as if senior PN management have sat through a weekend-long hard-sell seminar, and now must endlessly repeat the mantra taught to them lest they suddenly come to the realisation that theirs is not the only business model.

*Leafee assumes the lotus position and starts to chant*
"Traffic shaping is the only way forward because the people who sell the technology say so...... HOMMMMMMMMM.
Traffic shaping is the only way forward because the people who sell the technology say so...... HOMMMMMMMMM.
Traffic shaping is the only way forward because the people who sell the technology say so...... HOMMMMMMMMM."

Ahh b*gger it... I never was easily lead Cheesy
N/A

Well, now, that isn't necessarily the case. Many ISP's are categorically stating they have no such plans.

plusnet used to categorically state they had no future plans to introduce traffic shaping, but when they did they gave the reason " the broadband market is changing quickly" and " over the last 6 months p2p usage has increased 100% yet the user base only by 5%".
Both are legitiamate reasons that any other isp could use for sudden implementation.

One only has to look at some of our European neighbours to see that traffic shaping is not the route they have taken, and they are years ahead of us in terms of bandwidth and usage

but you are forgeting one thing, our european neighbours don't have to buy bandwidth off BT like plusnet do. LLU has to be the way forwards, BT are the reason we (uk) have to pay so much for so little compared to the rest of europe.
N/A

plusnet used to categorically state they had no future plans to introduce traffic shaping, but when they did they gave the reason " the broadband market is changing quickly" and " over the last 6 months p2p usage has increased 100% yet the user base only by 5%".
Both are legitiamate reasons that any other isp could use for sudden implementation.

I'm not even a little bit convinced by this argument.. If the infrastructure is not there, or is too expensive, then simply invest in your own to supplement or bypass BT. Cable, Wireless, satellite etc are all technologies presently in use by other companies. There is no reason why PN should be investing in Traffic Shaping technologies instead of technologies that expand their network.

This becomes even more apparent when you consider they have increased their customer base by 77% this year, but their network capacity has increased by 0%

Squeezing as many customers as you can into the same size network you had last year, necessitates capping, throttling and traffic shaping. Investing in greater network capacity and better infrastructures does not... But then again, it's more expensive. Looking around this forum, it is clear that many would be prepared to pay extra in order to achieve the latter.

It is inevitable, that as time passes, more and more people are going to demand this kind of investment from their service providers. As Broadband speeds get faster and file downloads get larger, ISP's who merely throttle their customers instead of expanding to meet this need head-on will find their customer base dwindling away. Even BT (the forerunners of capping, even during days of dial-up) are starting to ease their usage policy to meet this demand.

Having a totally different business model, does not mean, as PN suggest, unsustainability.

I liken PN policy to King Canute standing at the seashore ordering the tide to turn back. And like the erstwhile King with soon-to-have wet feet, PN are totally convinced that they are able to hold back the Broadband tide and that those seeking higher ground are misguided.