cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Day, another Tiscali LLU outage

Clatford

An increasingly common phenomenon in my experience. I see them almost every day, although they are usually brief. Each disconnection just raises my irritation level while I wait for service to resume. My ADSL connection is fine - the BT Voyager 2100 happily stays in synch. for days on end, then happily re-starts the link when it finds someone listening once more.

I don't really have the time (or patience) to go through the broadband fault checker - it's a long and tedious process over a dial-up connection, although I know my problem won't be looked at unless I first perform this quaint ritual. By which time, service has probably been restored. (No, that is NOT ok.)

I vaguely recall reading somewhere that while Tiscali's retail reputation is worrying, they are a reliable wholesale supplier of LLU'ed ADSL connectivity - that's close to a verbatim quote, I'm sure. Well, let me be the first to call for a public eating of the words via webcast, whoever said that. Some might say we told you so.

It used to be fast and reliable, Force 9 - where did it all go wrong?
3 REPLIES
Clatford

To be fair...

"Broadband Disconnections - (Ref 34944) - NEW
We are currently investigating reports from some of our customers who are seeing random disconnections. This particular problem is causing the connection to disconnect without a loss of sync with the exchange. The affected customers seem to only be connected on our LLU platform."

I'm pleased to see that this problem has been recognised and is receiving attention.
N/A

There is a thread on the PN newsgroup about this, titled "LLU Trauma". I have posted the original message below but the thread has been added to quite a bit already.

Anyone who is experiencing repetitive disconnections may tale solace in
my discovery that this is a problem with PlusNet and not with the new
LLU equipment.

This is proved by my glorious 24 hours with the testing@dslconnect.co.uk
account.

This account connects you to Tiscali broadband instead of PlusNet.

I had no disconnections - best of all I was able to p2p and it wasn't
added to my PlusNet usage figures :-s

Anyway I think we can agree this confirms that this is some kind of
configuration problem with the way PlusNet use the LLU equipment.

May be worth taking a look at plusnet.service.customer-feedback.

Mark
Clatford

Interesting...

Unfortunately I don't have too much spare time to look at the newsgroups, although I will try to have a look.

In a way, it's annoying to have to spend time doing research to work out whether problems are down to faulty equipment at my end (it isn't) or poor ISP service (it is).

As others have said in this forum, one of the good things about Force9 used to be that problems if they occurred invariably were at my end. Lately this has changed so that the opposite is true. Unfortunately, F9's customer service has an inbuilt presumption that customer equipment is the most likely source of faults. It's sort of like guilty until you prove yourself innocent.

Now for all I know, statistically, customer equipment may still be the most likely source of problems for F9, but that data is not accessible to me. What I do know about is my own experience, and I'm not happy about it.

And to cap it all, my Tiscali LLU connection went down AGAIN while I was trying to post this response - argh!