cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another 2mb u/g issue...sorry!

N/A

I'm really sorry, i know there have been a multitude of posts on here on this topic, but heres another, I hope I'm not raising the same point again!
Anyway, I've been waiting for my upgrade to happen, and it seemed it was never going to come, so I raised a ticket querying it.
I got a response saying that BT say my line can only support 1mb, so the upgrade wasn't attempted.

Now then, according to the figures from my router, and (excuse the vagueness here!) that site that tells you a theoretical maximum speed based on your router figures, I can easily surpass 2mb, even based on the published BT figures, I should have been attempted I think. Yes, I'm amrginal, but it should still be psosible.
So why has no one attempted it, and what are my options now?

Regards,
Dave
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Raise another ticket stating the stats provided by your router. Ask them to perform a "Woosh test".
They should be able to tell if it is worth putting in for upgrade then.
N/A

Thanks for the reply.
I did quote the routers figures in the ticket I raised ( I don't have them with me, in home email...)
Aha...found them in the ticket..
If it helps, these are my routers figures...
SNR Margin (dB): 18.1 23.0
Attenuation (dB): 43.0 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 11.9 17.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 2752 944
Rate (Kbps) 1152 288
These are my figures. Now as I said, some of them are marginal, but based on what I can find scattered around, it should be good enough to at least TRY the upgrade shouldn't it?
I realise it might not work, but I've seen worse and they got an upgrade!
Del
Grafter

Dave,

I hope you get them to at least try to upgrade your connection as you can see the quote below which was written by one of the PlusNet Comms team a while back:

I can assure you that everyone will have a regrade attempt made, they won't all succeed because of line conditions, but everyone will at least be attempted, unfortunately circumstances means that for some this will take longer than others.

I think BT should attempt to upgrade every PlusNet customer even if the checker says they are to far from the exchange as I was under the impression PlusNet had paid BT for this service.
N/A

Interesting.
Like I said, the response I got from support, basically said, no, we haven't done and won't as BT said so.

Anyone from PN care to comment? Anyone else had similar problems?
shellsong
Grafter

Which are the downstream and which the upstream figures for the attenuation and SNR?
shellsong
Grafter

Looking at the figures again I assume the downstream attenuation is 43.0dB in which case BT might be reluctant to upgrade because it's right on their limit for 2Mbs connections
You could try asking Mr Saffron on AG for his opinion on your figures since he can sometimes get peoples details at BT changed if it seems sensible
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

Your downstream attentuation figure of 43dB is right on the limit (BT say it needs to be less than 43dB to support 2Mbps). The SNR is probably a little lower than I would like for 2Mbps too, (as generally the SNR drops several dB as the speed increases).

I can place a manual order for you if you like, but I should state that there is a possibility that if it's accepted the service would be unstable and randomly disconnect. If you want to go ahead raise a ticket and let me know and I'll place the order for you.
Lorian
Grafter

Hi,
(BT say it needs to be less than 43dB to support 2Mbps).

But they are wrong, as the customer might see in spring anyway.

The OP might also notice that his router is telling him the "attainable rate" is 2752/944,

The SNR is probably a little lower than I would like for 2Mbps too, (as generally the SNR drops several dB as the speed increases).

Word is the MAXdsl trials have the SNR set much lower.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Indeed, DSL Max will allow the line sync at the maximum speeds it can (up to 8Mbps). So if the checker is wrong this will put it right.

The reason BT have set the limit as less than 43dB is because in the last year they've provided more 2Mbps services than ever before and found that a lot of unstable connections in the borderline (about 42.5 - 45bB give or take), enough that it was causing major problems for their repair teams. So they tightened the limits a little.
Lorian
Grafter

Yeah, they we pre-occupied by attenuation, thank goodness they will be looking at SNR instead.

I'm expecting 2Mb in the rollout, on a line 2 years ago BT said wouldn't even support 512Kbps.
Community Veteran

Dave rather than working from the OP's own stats wouldn't it be better for PN to woosh test for him? If your findings are favourable, then I reckon you would have just made a long term friend out of the OP! Wink
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

quickstart's PM'd me and my fingers are crossed for him.
N/A

Cheers to all for your help so far.

Here's hoping!
/crosses everything

/uncrosses a few things cos it hurts....

/Recrosses some cos it was nice...
Del
Grafter

:shock: Watched the Gadget show last week on Channel 5, South Korea have 100Mbps connections everywhere as standard.

Sad It's a pity we live in such a third world country, didn't the UK used to be called Great Britain?

ps. They use Fibre Optic Cable in South Korea.