Announcement: DSLMax Upgrade Programme - Update

Better late than never I suppose!!!

Mark
4 REPLIES
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hi Mark,
You may (or may not) remember that since Christmas I have been having 'no data, but sync ok' type disconnections. In view of this and all the complaints in the forums, I have opted out of 8MB for the time being. I will have to put up with my normal service when ok of around 1.8MB, and when not ok, zero!
Do you think I am doing the right thing?(!) I know you have weather related connection issues, ought you to temporarily opt out?
Regards, robinh
N/A

Hi Robin

I have already been MAX'd, about 3 weeks now, LLU is the next step according to the email last week. My speed was reduced for a week from 1mb to 1/2mb, but eventually James manually reset my profile to 2mb. That said, I have seen no increase i speed from 1mb to 2mb, but have been told it is related to the BT problem with their backend equipment.

Are you still having your disconnection problems? If so, they have been going on a long time! Have you been able to borrow a modem or router from anyone to see if that makes a difference?

I had another set of weather related problems about 2 months ago which involved a BT engineer visit. I was told that the builders had used alarm cabling from the entry point into the house to the master socket, instead of the correct cable. That and the fact the cover had come away from the entry point outside allowing the wet in was deemed to be the problem. That said, they did tell me that it would be escalated to the underground faults team if it happened again.

At the end of the day, I really don't know what to say to you about your predicament. The upgrade may or may not solve your problem, it may however increase it. MAX does allow a poorer quality line to achieve better speeds and therefore may help in your case, but with all the other problems ongoingHuh?

Sorry I can't be much more help.

Mark
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Good to see it's not a disaster! Yes, still my regular loss of data in evening, worst around 2100 to 2200. Even after clocks changed, still same time of evening. It is caused by a reduction in s/n, (not atten) from daytime (normal atten varies between 20 to 23db, perfect), to evening which can then vary between 7 and 21db. What I think happens is that a variation in s/n happens too rapidly for my router to get a hold on a stable speed, so it drops. It then picks up again between 1 and 5 minutes later. This can happen once, or upto 5 or 6 times. According to bt engineer during home visit, aluminium cable is a problem in our area, no fault my end!
Anyway, I will still hold off the dslmax for the time being.
Cheers, robinh
N/A

Re: Announcement: DSLMax Upgrade Programme - Update

Better late than never I suppose!!!

Mark

I don't want a nebulous "several months to upgrade everyone" though.

What I want is to see F9 putting a roll out plan in place and then informing their customers of where they are on that plan.

It aint rocket science but it does require a little bit of effort and work on behalf of F9 though, not to mention communication.

oooops - forgot F9 don't do communication any more.