cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazed I broke the website FUP

N/A

According to an automated email from PN Abuse Team at 4.07am, my website (which uses only 9 of the allocated 250MB) has been summarily taken offline for "using 516521 KB OVER its bandwidth transfer allowance during the last 24 hours". My crime seems to be that I allowed an indirect link to two 2MB PDF files to be published on a daily Apple Mac e-zine (macintouch.com). Anyone following the macintouch link then had to follow another link on avsforum.com which has been there for almost a week now, generating only modest traffic.

To tell the truth, I have no idea what my daily 'bandwidth transfer allowance' is - and whatever it is, I'm amazed that a couple of unexciting PDFs can exceed it. Obviously, I under-estimated the volume of interest from the macintouch site. Actually, that's not true -- I didn't estimate it all. Well, you wouldn't would you? Not for a couple of measly PDFs.

Anyways, to get to the nub of the matter, in circumstances like these it clearly isn't possible to know in advance what kind of traffic risk is posed by publishing a link to one's website and while PlusNet presumably is acting within its T&C and FUP, taking a website summarily offline for a single and temporary breach of the FUP seems heavy-handed. My website might have been the only source of information about my blood type and taking it offline could have been very embarrassing/life-threatening.

As it happens, it was neither of these but surely there's a better way? How about an automated email warning me that my web traffic is X% above the proscribed limit and that it will be taken down if/when the figure reaches Y%? Then at least I might have had an opportunity to kill the temporary traffic so as to keep the site up. Even better, taking a leaf out of the Broadband FUP, why not allow limits to be exceeded for two days before raising my website to Level 3 status?

I hope that something can be changed. Taking a website down without warning is potentially damaging and definitely overkill for me and others who may have no idea that any 'crime' has been committed.

Simon
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Is there any way to actually find out how much traffic/bandwidth transfer has been used by your PN hosted website?

i.e. is there a "view my usage" for the websites? Dont need it personaly, just interested.
N/A

Webstats under website settings maybe?
N/A

You have to activate Webstats in the first place -- which most people with 9MB of data and 2 PDFs online probably have never bothered with since they never expected any traffic over and above auntie Nellie.

Simon
Ianwild
Grafter

I agree that we should give people more notice, and actually I thought we did now. I will investigate. As well as the website space limit, Residential accounts also have a data transfer limit of 250Mb per day. This is pretty generous when compared to most ISPs and many hosting providers.

As I say, I will look into this further, as it isn;t the same time I have heard people say the same thing...

Have you followed the Contact Us path to have the site restored? This is normally done VERY quickly once you have made the request.

Regards,

Ian
N/A

Hm
I think you may be being disingenuous here. If you put a link on a public site that has any readers at all, I would expect a proportion of such people to read the "article". For a site that is an e-zine and clearly of interest to a goodly number on the net, your "mere PDFs" would surely be accessed a good deal even if that proportion is "small".

However, I do agree that asking PN to modify their policy to make it more in line with their FUP is a "good idea" -- email warning at X% over with note that it will be made off line if at Y%. I seem to recall that depending on your package and T&C sites are not intended to carry heavy use unless you're on some form of business service (could be wrong here). A PN CSR warned me when I took up my domain that heavy traffic to the site would not be allowed (not likely to happen in my case anyway)

Phil.
Community Veteran

Webstats under website settings maybe?

Doh! How sleepy was I this morning! Shockedops:
N/A

Yes, I did the Ticket thing as soon as I saw the email from Abuse at 7am. It hasn't been reactivated yet.

Simon
N/A

I think you may be being disingenuous here. If you put a link on a public site that has any readers at all, I would expect a proportion of such people to read the "article". For a site that is an e-zine and clearly of interest to a goodly number on the net, your "mere PDFs" would surely be accessed a good deal even if that proportion is "small".

Probably better to stick to the principles involved but as I said, it wasn't even a direct link - it was a link to an article hosted remotely which included a link back to my PDFs. So people would have to make a couple of conscious choices to affect my traffic. My surprise is genuine, I assure you.

Simon
N/A

I think that a total of 7.5gb a month bandwidth is very generous but I would prefer if it wasn't monitored over one day, just one month. So it wouldn't matter if a user used 500mb in one day, but if they went over their 7.5gb allowance then they would be disabled for the rest of that month.
N/A

Site restored at 11.05 thank you. Hopefully we can look forward to a better system.

Simon