cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am i being throttled and packages question

N/A

Hi people,

Fortunately, i don't have call to come here all that often, normally being a happy customer and all that!

Anyway, i was just writing a long post and noticed my d/l rate jump to my maximum rate at bang on 1am. Am i being capped without being told?? I MUST be surely??

Prior to that, at about 4pm (maybe 5?) it went from approx 400KB/s down to bang on the nail 199KB/s. I'm not up to my usage limits by a long stretch even though i'm quite a medium user at the moment.

What gives?

I work from home, am a professional developer and also look after a dozen or so PCs and Servers via NSM (Net Support Manager). The last couple of weeks have been bad, i've had a few situations where install CDs have been needed from suppliers there and then and couldn't wait for the 2 days it would take to post them to Devon so had no choice but to D/L install images, so yes, my bandwidth has been high but nowhere near my peak time limits (13GB?).

This brings me to my other point. I used to be on Teleworker Pro (I think! it was some time ago now and i can't remember exactly). I jumped ship to a home product in order to get 2Mb speeds as i was finding the NSM stuff a bit of a drag on 512k and at the time business customers were getting a raw deal in the upgrade queue.

Is it worth me thinking about switching back to a business package? Is there still a 20:1 package? Frankly when i look at what packages there are it doesn't seem too clear cut these days what you get for how much.

I'm not at all unreasonable in how i use my connection and virtually all the time i make sure i do my large downloads off-peak but because of working from home i absolutely can't have a situation where i have to say "oh, i can't do that for you today as i'm being capped, it'll have to wait until after midnight" :s

Anyway, enough rambling! At least my speed has jumped back up for tonight now. I was praying my developer discs would turn up from Apple in the morning Smiley

Martin.
13 REPLIES
N/A

Okay, just a quick follow up before knocking it on the head for tonight...

Looking at these usage figures:

It looks like i was indeed capped tonight at 2Mbps for browsing / normal website download.

I've no idea why though. My usage this month so far is: 1.8GB peak, 5.03GB off-peak (admittedly quite steep this month - to 16th Dec., but i'm trying to grab an OS update and it's failed a couple of times!). Last month, 5.29GB peak, 9.29GB off-peak.

This is WELL within the 13GB peak limit so i'm left a little confused. More to the point, i would appreciate being told about it if i'm being capped so i can work withing the limits or work around them rather (not like i'm a new customer or anything).
N/A

i don't have call to come here all that often

Smiley That much is obvious!

First step is to read a few of the other threads on the index page!

Basically Plusnet have run out of capacity and therefore whatever expectations you may have of performance will be subject to the number of quarts available from a pint pot.
N/A

:lol: Yeah, i know - i always try to be optimistic though and assume that all the posts are from the disgruntled customers and the other 190,000 customers are just fine and dandy Smiley

I'm also now left wandering if certain ports are being blocked as well because i had a guy in the office trying to deploy Office 2003 to me tonight using SMS over my VPN connection and the SMS client wouldn't deploy. Will await the response in the morning to see what method the VPN is using since i try not to get involved in all that unless i have to.

Just noticed that sometime after 1am, the client deployed and was able to discover it's SMS site!

Anyone from PN able to comment on whether i'm imagining these restrictions or not?

Anyway, bedtime...
suec45
Grafter

Its not just you mate, 4pm is peak time so some things are throttled down.

To be honest tho, 199k is amazing speed compared to what some of us have been getting on P2P and FTP.

Try 2k at the worst, to 20k at best in the past 2 weeks.

Hopefully they will sort it out soon, I really dont want to migrate, but I am getting closer too it with every new problem.
James
Grafter

Hi Guddler,

Your connection is not being throttled as you have not reached the 13GB level 1 peak time allowance. However, as a number of people will mention, we are experiencing a widescale speed issue against traffic located in the silver and bronze traffic queues.

A detailed posting is going out about his tomorrow.
N/A

Okay, i look forward to the post with interest.

However, sorry, i simply don't beleive that i'm not being throttled though! If i'm not being throttled then why did it jump from 199k to 740+k on the dot of 1am (i was sat here watching it)??

It's not normal behaviour for an internet download from a major site such as Apple to run at 199k all night and then suddenly jump up to the maximum my line will support when the clock ticks past 1am.

It looks fairly obvious that the limits have been revised, along with the peak times and probably the traffic shaping rules, which, i'm not dumb, i can see that might need to happen from time to time. If i know what the new parameters are that i need to work within then i can do so, or make a decision as to if i want to work within them or not. It's incredibly difficult planning your work around things when the goalposts change in the middle of a task such as they did for me yesterday. Hopefully it was a one off (though i doubt it).

suec45: Yep, i hear you and sympaphise with all those that are struggling with much lower speeds than i'm getting. Doesn't stop me from wanting to know what's going on with my connection though.

Any comment on the packages? Should i be considering going back to a business grade package? Would that help with the problem or is the problem and the measures being taken an across the board issue?

I'd really prefer not taking my business elsewhere seeing as i have my home phone and everything through PN but this kind of thing certainly makes me look around!

Cry

Martin.
bobbygeorge
Grafter

However, sorry, i simply don't beleive that i'm not being throttled though! If i'm not being throttled then why did it jump from 199k to 740+k on the dot of 1am (i was sat here watching it)??

I'd really prefer not taking my business elsewhere seeing as i have my home phone and everything through PN but this kind of thing certainly makes me look around!

I would reserve your judgement, as I will, on the announcement tomorrow as to whether you should jump ship.

However, you need to kbe aware we have heard this so many times before where announcements are made by plusnet and again they normally consist of "we know there is a problem and we are currently addressing it as we speak, a further announcement will be made soon" and round we go again !! the months just keep passing .....

see here http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50871

we need positive action not just announcements ..
James
Grafter

It looks fairly obvious that the limits have been revised, along with the peak times and probably the traffic shaping rules, which, i'm not dumb, i can see that might need to happen from time to time. If i know what the new parameters are that i need to work within then i can do so, or make a decision as to if i want to work within them or not. It's incredibly difficult planning your work around things when the goalposts change in the middle of a task such as they did for me yesterday. Hopefully it was a one off (though i doubt it).

Whilst it may seem fairly obvious to you, I can honestly say that the limits have not been revised, as this would result in a change to the terms and condition as this would be in detriment of your service and the legal repurcussions would be nasty.

We haven't changed the limits. I would imagine that at that time in the morning, the amount of traffic on our network would be dropping, hence the uplift in speeds. My P2P speeds normally pick up at a similar time.
N/A

A detailed posting is going out about his tomorrow.

Hi,

Any chance of pointing me in the direction of this posting? Not sure if it came out to me by email and got caught by spam software somewhere or where i need to go look for it some place.

Thanks,
Martin.
N/A

Whilst it may seem fairly obvious to you, I can honestly say that the limits have not been revised, as this would result in a change to the terms and condition as this would be in detriment of your service and the legal repurcussions would be nasty.

i cannot believe what i just read. plusnet are notorious for changing the terms of service, almost weekly, on whim, not forewarning their customers as required by law, lying, obfuscating and generally acting like a bunch of crooks.

guddler - usually the evidence you observe will guide you to the correct conclusion. maybe try another large download and watch its behaviour during thresholds. dont bother waiting on the announcement, as someone has already said these announcements never say anything useful or lead to any improvements in the service, they are simply a means of spinning further obfuscation and keeping customers believing that things will get better. i can tell you now they wont.

although having said that, you must have some of the best speeds of any plusnet customer anywhere Cheesy
ceridwen
Grafter

Sorry - am I mistaken in thinking you have applied additional restrictions to VOIP and Gaming traffic?

Matthew
Community Veteran
Fixes: 6

I cannot comment as I normally would as I have recently been advised by a forum moderator that i will be banned for using my english right to free speech.

However I would like to point out that denying something has been done/being done would make any legal repercussions very difficult from customers. Anyone operating such a business practice would obviously be fully aware the legal implications of an admission of bad practice. These business's normally resort to the practice of denial knowing that they are covering their own back.

Of course everything I've just posted is theoretical and I am not suggesting that the honest folk at PlusNet would ever stoop this low.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
N/A

Guys, can we keep this on track?

I was just wandering if the upate was posted (doesn't look like it was) and if it was, where i could find it since nothing came through in email.

Have to say, i'm basically just pondering what to do about my home phone before changing to some other supplier. The state of the nation here doesn't seem to be too good anymore.

Sadly, lots of ISPs offer deals on calls but i'm struggling to find one where i don't have to go back to BT for line rental (no cable around here - not that i'd ever go back to NTL anyway after i moved out of their area and they chased me for well over a year after i cancelled my account!)

[EDIT] And i also realise that it will probably be at least Monday now before anyone in the know responds.