Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I reading the FUP wrong?

N/A

I have been studying this link.

http://portal.plus.net/features/usage_guide.shtml

It shows an example that usage was exceeded in months 1 & 2 but dropped in month 3. It then shows usage exceeded in months 4 and 5 but drops again in month 6. I thought the FUP was on a 3 month rollover, not 6?

Reading that, it looks as though if you exceed FUP in a month, your speed drops for the remainder of that period.

I apologise if I have misread that but it's not very clear. Could someone please clarify it.

Stephanie
19 REPLIES
N/A

Re: Am I reading the FUP wrong?

Reading that, it looks as though if you exceed FUP in a month, your speed drops for the remainder of that period.

No, in order for the FUP to have any effect, you would need to exceed your allowance 3 months running.

Each month you exceed it, it's flagged that you exceed it, but if after two months you keep within your allowance, one flag will be taken away. The diagram on the url you posted, is meant to show that.
N/A

Thank you.

So basically, it's nothing to do with 3 months? You can exceed it 3 out of 6 and your speed will be dropped for a month and then if you exceed it the following month, you're back to slow speeds?

That's not really how the FUP was portrayed initially. Everyone was mentioning 3 month periods when in fact it's a constant rollover?

My 12 month contract is not up until August, can someone work out the penalty for me if I change ISP's - if I need to go down this route.

Stephanie
N/A

phemo,

I think you may still be confused about the way it works, but yes it is a constant and rolling thing.

Basically each month you exceed the limit, you will be flagged, when that flag reaches 3, your speed will be reduced. For each month that you don't exceed for your limit, your flag will be reduced by 1 until you have none.
N/A

Thanks again, gadgetboy.

Can someone now tell me the penalty for changing ISP's as my year is not up till August.

Also, when is the best time to do it following inception of the FUP on 14th April.
N/A

phemo,

What account are you on at the moment.
N/A

No, in order for the FUP to have any effect, you would need to exceed your allowance 3 months running.

Not strictly true.

As per the rest of your statement, it is based on FUP levels.

For each billing cycle that you exceed the allowance of your account, you increase a FUP level.

For each month you remain under your FUP allowance, you are lowered a FUP level until your are at level 0.

If you exceed your allownace two months in a row, you would be one FUP level 2. If during the third month you remain within your allowance, you are reduced to level 1.

In effect, you allowed to exceed your allowance for 3 in every 5 months, with exception of exceeding it 3 months in a row.
N/A

I'm on the 1mb premier, £29.99 a month.

Thanks
N/A

Thank you, Philip. That makes it a bit clearer.

Basically, if we hardly use our connection every other month, that should keep it within the levels.

No more gaming every other month for my son and his friends unless they want to do it between 1am and 8am (although I don't think I could stand the sleepless nights!).

My worries would be solved if only I could get the 2mb connection, but I know I am going to be one of the 20% that can't! We're one of few people on our estate that can even get broadband so I know there's no chance of anything above 1mb.
N/A

phemo,

What sort games are these? PC? XBox? PS2? Gaming doesn't normally generate huge amounts of traffic.

The account your on, did you get a modem etc, when you signed up.
N/A

No modem, I moved from BT and we have all our own equipment.

The whole family have computers and there are at least 3 of us online, mostly in the evenings. When friends visit, sometimes they do gaming for hours on end. I have no idea what games though, he has the lot, Xbox etc.

I'm online a lot as an IRCop for another ISP but I know 'chat' doesn't necessarily use a lot. For instance, I know I have been the only one using the connection this weekend, on chat and surfing but I note my usage has been very low so it's not me using it!

I also use a Case management system at work and sometimes have logged on to it (as it's internet based) to run reports etc., to save me doing overtime!

We seem to use about 50gb - 70gb a month, which is fairly high I think? But then 3 or 4 people downloading and doing stuff, it's not that difficult to run it up.
N/A

Well if you brought your own equipment and paid the connection fee, I would have though, if you decided you want to leave then you just give 30 days notice. What makes you think your tied into a 1 years contract?
N/A

Because I elected for the 1 year contract when I migrated, not a monthly one.

Or am I correct in thinking that if I cancel my account when the FUP takes effect (around 14th April) then I can just cancel with 30 days notice and request a MAC?
N/A

I think there is a £99 fee for terminating an annual contract, however I'm led to believe they are possiblly looking to assist people (assisted migration) , who are affected by the FUP, on a case by case basis. However since it will be around june that any effects would be felt, you may have to wait till then.

I guess really the answers you seek, really need to come from a member of staff.
N/A

£99 only applied to EasyStart accounts IIRC.

As you elected for a 1 year contract during migration, I beleive there is a £30 fee to migrate out or terminate within the first 12 months, £0 afterwards.

It breaks down as:

Migration fee £15
If you leave within the contract, you pay for the migration

Administration fee £15
Like any anual contract, you can effectivly convert to a monthly contract and initiate a 30 day notice at any time. This fee covers that conversion.