cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I on the best package?

N/A

Hi

I'm currently on Home Lite 512k with a 2GB limit for £17.24 a month.

I am thinking of swopping to broadband plus 2mb for £14.99 a month, as it's faster & cheaper.

I mainly browse the web + email but do some p2p (maybe 10Mb-30Mb a time) & downloading from http + ftp sites, mainly linux updates, and when I do this I go over my 2gb limit and pay more.

Am I better staying as I am or swopping ? Also if I change my cap to 1gb then 'upgrade' to bb+ 2mb I won't get charged right?

thanks in advance
6 REPLIES
N/A

swap to the 14.99 package mate.
N/A

If you should swap depends on a few things.

1: that you understand that your P2P transfers may be slow, due to the way this package is managed.

2: that you wont get the faster speeds right away.

As a Broadband PAYG customers, you will be getting faster speeds, when BT get around to performing your upgrade. This is provided your line can support faster speeds.

If/when you move the Broadband Plus package, you will either need to pay £15 to have the upgrade performed right away (well, within 7 to 10 days), or continue to wait like you are now on the PAYG package.
N/A

1: that you understand that your P2P transfers may be slow, due to the way this package is managed.

How slow are we talking ?

2: that you wont get the faster speeds right away.

Not really bothered about the faster speed, more interested in saving money.

Just out of interest do PlusNet throttle all transfers on broadband plus or just p2p ? I tend to download via http/ftp alot more than p2p.
N/A

Details on the throttling are not complete, but my understanding is that:

P2P and other download technologies are marked as a low priority.

Email and web-browsing are marked as high priority.

Many other products are not marked, all called neutral.

Whilst web-browsing may be marked as high, it does not mean that downloads that take place over an extended period of time (large downloads) won't be moved to the low priority class.

I am unsure about FTP.

If however you are reliant on downloads, then Plus is likely not for you.
N/A

Cheers for all the advice/opinions given, If I change to bb+ at my current speed of 512k will I automatically get upgraded to 2mb at some point in the future free of charge ? just curious you understand, not really bothered about a faster service[1].

All I want is...
1. a set my monthly bill regardless of wether I use 2gb or 3gb of bandwidth/month.
2. reasonable download speeds 40-50kb.

[1] The reason I'm not bothered about faster downloads is for general browing/email the 512k service is fine, and when I want to download anything big 50-500mb I normally set it going overnight so time isn't a problem (within reason).

Just looking at the blurb for bb+ and it states under the data transfer tab...

With Broadband Plus you can use any type of Internet services you want. In order to ensure we deliver a high level of service, during busy periods we will give priority to services such as web browsing and email and a lower priority to high usage services such as downloading and file sharing.

Gee I hope their not blocking ports and limiting the service :twisted:
N/A

If you need d/l speeds of 40/50 kbps then BB+ may not always deliver those speeds. The quoted text which you have highlighted in red is correct but explained further in the paragraph.

If you rely on d/l's BB+ is not for you.