cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I going to get offensive e-mails for ever?

N/A

Let me get this straight, as I haven't got time to go through the hundreds of previous posts:
Am I going to be receiving offensive/spam e-mails for ever (due to a problem at Plus Net's end) or is there something I can do to stop them?
I really don't want to change my e-mail address, this would be a major problem.
Do Plus Net realise that this sort of thing devalues the whole internetHuh
I don't want my wife receiving e-mails about link:censored, this is just not acceptable.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Inappropriate language removed.]
82 REPLIES
Liam
Grafter

Unfortunately, given the email addresses have already been harvested, it is possible that the spammers may continue to target them with unsolicited mail.

That said, there are ways to alleviate Spam - by using our Spam Protection tools, for instance. You can configure your Spam Protection setting using the "Manage My Mail" tool, under Email Settings.

It is very unfortnuate, and in general the level of Spam circulating the internet is causing major problems globally. Over 50% of all emails sent / received are Spam.
mapletree
Grafter

It's certain that spammers will send more and more spam to your mailboxes. Whether PN reject or filter them out is another matter, only time will tell.

I thoroughly emphasise with your comments. I don't want my children getting emails about link:censored either! :mad:

Although 50% of emails are spam, until recently, 0% was sent to my family.

[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin): Inappropriate language removed.]
N/A

I'm in the same position. We had no absolutely spam for the last couple of years. And it took a lot of effort to get into that postion. I had rigourously avoided using my main email address on the web and have used it for years with no spam. This is my main email address for personal use and work use that I had hoped to never ever change. And it now gets obscene spam.

Other email addresses that we do use specifically for signing up on websites have received no spam email until now, incuding one for my 12 year old son. So now that these are getting obscene emails we have had to change them.

Words cannot express the emotion and to know that it was the ISP that caused it!

So it's good bye to Plus Net as soon as I can move domains around.

Anyone got any suggestions for a new ISP?
Community Veteran

Moderators Note;

And we do not want them reading such material on these forums.

Please can I ask that inappropriate material is not reproduced here.

Jonathan
aka Chilly
emiles

And we do not want them reading such material on these forums.

I suspect they're far less likely to read these forums than they are their own Inboxes, which are being spammed daily with unwanted emails as a result of PlusNet's lax security!!

Like previous posters, I've diligently ensured that my email address is only known by people I trust and reputable companies, only for it to have been harvested from my ISP through no fault of my own.

Why haven't PlusNet offered those of us who have been affected a new account so we can return to a spam free life? Would they rather I got a MAC code and went elsewhere?

This is shameful.
N/A

Anyone got any suggestions for a new ISP?

Zen for your ISP and Flump for your domains.
N/A

Can Plusnet explain why I'm still getting messages for the well known "wonder" product clearly labelled in the subject line? I don't have any filtering enabled as I prefer to do that manually but surely for the defence of their business Plusnet would want to block this sort of thing on their servers?

Passing the filtering onto the customers is just going to tick us off. We need to see some grand gestures from Plusnet, their responce so far has been rather tepid considering this story is now in the nation press.

Also, I understand that all this spam is coming from Russian servers. Personally I can live with never getting an email from Russia, never had one before, never likely to want one in the future. How about offering a spam filter based on the geographic location of the mail servers? I don't know about you but I could happily live with a customer base of just 1 billion potential users.

We need a low tech solution here that really cuts this problem down at the knee caps, people aren't going to want mess about with filters for the rest of their lives.

I'm not saying this approach would be acceptable by everyone but I'm sure there are a lot of Plusnet customers who only ever contact people in the UK/Europe/States and would prefer that option to one where they are afraid to let their kids near the computer.

In short, lets have some low-tech lateral thinking from Plusnet rather than the usual flawed spam filtering on content approaches which never solves anything.
N/A

I am getting fed up with the spam filter turned on and getting 20 to 30 spam emails in my in box . Im off on holiday next week. Ill end up going through about 400 plus emails when i get back.

I can live with out Russian emails too. Iv never suffered from spam until now Sad
Community Veteran

Can Plusnet explain why I'm still getting messages for the well known "wonder" product clearly labelled in the subject line? I don't have any filtering enabled as I prefer to do that manually but surely for the defence of their business Plusnet would want to block this sort of thing on their servers?

I think, that you answered your own question, you do not have PlusNet's mail filtering enabled, therefore they are not filtering your mail.

I for one do not want PlusNet choosing which e-mail I receive, when I have switched their mail filtering off.

Chilly
chrisc
Grafter

With regards to the comments about blocking all Russian mail servers -

The majority of spammers these days will be spoofing IP addresses which pretty much makes it impossible to stop the spam from its actual geographic source - the code used by the spammers was in Russian but we couldn't have identified this from IP only.

I think a few customers wouldn't be too happy about not being able to receive any emails from Russia either Cheesy
Laugh
Grafter

True ! Where would I get my cheap vodka from?

And those Russian Shotputting girls Shockedops:
badwolf
Grafter

From getting around 60 odd dodgy emails a day I checked my inbox this morning to find I had no spam emails - hopefully they are getting bored and moving on to some other victim
chrisc
Grafter

This will be because you have Spam protection on and set to move [Spam] emails to the Spam folder in Webmail.

You will be able to access this folder via Webmail to check for false positives if required, any mail left in there for 30 days will be deleted.

We hope that this new feature will significantly reduce the amount of Spam that you receive.
badwolf
Grafter

Hi Chris,

This was from another email account (non-plusnet) that had been harvested via webmail and doesn't have any spam protection Smiley